Ideas for enrichment toys?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

Ideas for enrichment toys?

Post by mkazin » 28 Apr 2020, 03:09

Even though my boyfriend and I are both home now and walking her even more, our 1.5 EPI girl seems antsy and bored (maybe I’m projecting...)
All the toys I see online to keep them busy and interested are food motivated. We did soak some treats in enzymes but it’s really messy and the treats are really soggy/ I know it’s best to try to avoid treats at all for a while.
Any ideas for non-treat based toys or activities? She loves her bones, so maybe something chewy that keeps their attention could be good.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Ideas for enrichment toys?

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Apr 2020, 19:19

Interactive game playing seems to be better than toys for many dogs.

What i did and do now with my 1 remaining dog is i hide a toy, ask them to find it and then reward them with a tuggy (all my dogs seemed to love playing with them ......pulling on a tuggy on one end with me on the other end ) I used "tugging" with my dog on a dog as a reward.

The great thing about this is that it is a bonding building exercise "with" your dog.
It only take a few minutes and they REALLY seem to like it
ANd it involves NO food...NO enzymes!!! :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 28 Apr 2020, 20:55

Fun idea!! Thank you!!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Apr 2020, 22:38

You are very welcome! anything "interactive" with their human seems to usually be a good alternative.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 30 Apr 2020, 05:42

a kong squeaky tennis type ball worked for us, its what the services use for their dogs

depending on the size of your dog they do I think, have different sizes

the other thing that worked was pan fried lambs liver and garlic, keep the liver whole till cold chop up and add enzymes, or add before you chop up into dog sized bites, Kara would kill for them, and my cat Titch, sadly neither of them are with me now

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Apr 2020, 08:56

that is a good idea for food....... however, here in the USA, you don't really see lamb liver in the store.... there is chicken liver, but that might be too soft.... BUT.... there is always lots of beef liver which when baked is much more firm then chicken liver.
i bet beef liver would work as well as the lamb liver. Funny how different foods are or are not readily available in different countries.

Great idea, thanks Jean.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 30 Apr 2020, 10:37

Hi O I had no idea about that, I imagine any liver would do, for some reason they adore it, all of my dogs included
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 30 Apr 2020, 19:52

Oh yes we gave her liver once before her diagnosis, and she was obsessed. Great idea- it seems like it would mask the taste of the pancreatin really well :)

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Apr 2020, 20:04

There is a great FaceBook group called Canine Enrichment that has LOTS of great ideas and plenty that don't include food. Even taking her on a walk and letting her go/sniff at her own direction instead of where you want her to go is good enrichment. We play hide and seek in the house but we are fortunate as our boy thinks flies/birds/bees (the spicy flies) are the best things on earth and entertains himself stalking them, chasing them and trying to get them LOL.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 01 May 2020, 15:26

We played "Hide It" with Kolby for years. I actually started it when he was a puppy to burn up some of his energy. We started with just putting the ball under a chair right beside him so he could see it, but I would make him sit before he could go get it. Then I would move it farther and farther away, but still in the room. Each time he would find it and bring it to me, he would get play time with it. Finally, I would hide it in another room and he would really have to go look for it, find it and bring it back.

All this thinking and waiting and then playing used up a lot of energy, physical and mental.

We taught the grandkids to hide it, which made them feel very powerful ....and which made him love the grandkids even more. Every time they came to visit, he would take the ball to them.We had to make sure he didn't get too pushy. LOL

Barb