Tylan in Australia

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
RachelB
Pet name: Zara
My name: Rachel

Tylan in Australia

Post by RachelB » 29 Apr 2020, 21:35

Hi everyone,

It's been a LONG time since I posted! We owe our girl's life to Olesia starting the epi4dogs.com website (original forum post https://epi4dogs.webs.com/apps/forums/t ... ow/9422798). She was diagnosed at 2yo......fast-forward to now, she is 9yo and is living her best life (fingers always crossed) stable, albeit with a concurrent condition of suspected perianal fistulas.

The purpose of my post is that it appears Elanco have discontinued selling/supplying Tylan in Australia. Given our girl is a Tylan-for-life dog, so I was hoping I could get an insight into anyone else in our boat who can't get Tylan is doing. I'm loathed to put her on metronidazole given the long-term use risks.

I hope all is well with everyone and their puppers during these difficult times around the globe.

Cheers,
Rachel (human servant of Zara) :)

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Tylan in Australia

Post by Jean » 30 Apr 2020, 04:26

good morning from the UK to the human servant

dont we all know it

i have a plaque that says

"the dog and his household staff live here"

back to business, we have been told that Elanco have done this and I am amazed considering it is used for animals, we had comment from a member who said they had had little, or no help in phoning Elanco

I would never have given Metro for more than a week, can you get Oxytetracycline over there

however there is this I looked at today

https://www.discountpetmeds.com.au/tyla ... trate.html

let us know ASAP how you get on so we can advise others

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Apr 2020, 08:43

Hi Rachael... glad to hear that Zara is doing well... BUT.... this situation where Tylan is discontinued in AUS is very unnerving!!! I too do not understand why.

Jean posted a site in AUS where it says it is available.... so please do check that out (THANK YOU JEAN!!!!) but if they too are out.... Tylan (Tartrate) is a macrolide antibiotic. Macrolides are often used in the treatment of infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria. However, what you can ask your vet to first try is , (like Jean suggested) is Oxytetracycline which is a tetracycline drug that appears to be very effective... HOWEVEr... i do not know if this can be given on a maintenance dose- -so please ask your vet......... but if your vet cannot get that then i would ask for Azithromycin which is another supposedly very safe macrolide antibiotic for animals - - but again, not sure if this can be given long term.

If none of these drugs are safe to give long term....i wonder (and i am just thinking out loud here- -i do not have any science behind what i am going to say next!) anyway... i wonder, if we cannot get Tylan anymore, if we will need to treat with a course of these other antibiotics and once the SID is under control, maybe we will have to implement then giving prebiotics and certain probiotics to keep it under control as best we can and then when the SID gets out of control again.... do another course with one of these other antibiotics (if they are not safe to give long term). Maybe ask your vet about this??? .
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Apr 2020, 10:09

Hi again,

I just contact ELANCO headquarters in the USA..... and spoke to them directly. Tylan (the soluble powder) is NOT being discontinued... however.... there is an issue with the supply chain of Tylan injectable (which we don't use) .

The USA Elanco vet that i spoke to though did say that what might be going on is that the country (Australia) is no longer allowing Tylan in. SOOOOoooooooo my suggestion is to call the Australia ELANCO office directly https://www.elanco.com.au/ and ask them specifically if Tylan (soluble powder) is being discontinued due to Australian regulations... since the company itself is not discontinuing the product.

Here is their phone number:
Attachments
Tylan AUS tel.JPG
Tylan AUS tel.JPG (19.83 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 30 Apr 2020, 10:40

Nice one O

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Apr 2020, 12:11

You can imagine my relief that Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate soluble powder) is NOT being discontinued company-wide... PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 30 Apr 2020, 20:00

Thank you Olesia for contacting them and getting this all figured out for us.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

RachelB
Pet name: Zara
My name: Rachel

Post by RachelB » 04 May 2020, 05:37

Hi Jean and Olesia

Thanks SO MUCH for your replies and suggestions - as always you remain a god send. Apologies for my delayed response. I sincerely appreciate you contacting Elanco directly Olesia, as I was really concerned on a broader level knowing how many people depend on Tylan, especially those like Zara who are 'Tylan-for-life'rs'.

I'm so relieved to hear its not discontinued generally, however, I am incredibly confused about why they've stopped making it available within Australia! I did contact an online pet pharmacy in the hope my vet was wrong - as their website was showing it as in-stock. They initially advised no problem, but subsequently advised no longer available. I will try the one you've suggested too Jean, on the off-chance they have some old stock so thanks heaps!

My vet advised there is an alternative manufacturer in Australia which they said they could order at AU$177 per 110g!! Apparently the vet nurse said they now have a captive market as only supplier. I said yes in desperation, but I must admit I'm nervous to change a single minute thing with Zara! Although on the basis the Elanco version isn't available - I received the alternative today - "A.F.S Tylan" manufactured by "Allfarm Animal Health" (as pictured). I'm still nervous about using it! It's 850g/kg vs Elanco 800g/kg - not sure what this represents in terms of difference in layman's terms.

I will definitely call Elanco Australia tomorrow to find out why their Tylan is no longer available in Australia, and will post an update as soon as I hear back. I did message their FB page but no response to-date. I intend to keep asking until I get an answer! We've had some really odd situations with all this COVID-19 stuff re import restrictions, with Wonderlabs telling me they could no longer ship to Australia due to import restrictions - but the Australian Government department indicated no such restrictions - it's anyone's guess these days!

I've also only seen your suggestions around the other options, and our vet over the years has effectively resigned himself I'm sure to the fact when I ask something, whilst keen on his opinion - I've already informed mine....so it's more an 80/20 relationship these days :)

Interested in your thoughts on this alternative Tylan as pictured.

Cheers,
Rachel
Attachments
20200504_152516.jpg
20200504_152516.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 3718 times
20200504_152504.jpg
20200504_152504.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 3718 times
20200504_152459.jpg
20200504_152459.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 3718 times

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 04 May 2020, 10:38

I contacted Elanco by email in Aus to be told that, yes, it is discontinued, and it was a management decision

Nothing more, I did point out that our dogs need it. and await their response

Jeanx

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 May 2020, 15:00

Rachel,

I just looked at the alternative Tylan product.... and the Tylan we typically use is Tylosin Tartrate 100gram....soluble powder.
This is Tylosin Tartrate 110gram ... soluble powder.

So same stuff, but this alternative is just a pinch stronger...so i would very, very slightly (cuz 10 gram difference is not that much) reduce the amount given (when initially trying) this alternative product.

Thanks for posting.... we will need to upload this onto the website ........ i feel so bad, it seems like AUS EPI pet ownder always get the short end regarding EPI supplies.

Please keep us posted on how Zara does on this alternative product... at least there is an alternative!