Just got the diagnosis of EPI.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Andrewp
State: Oklahoma
Pet name: Chloe
My name: Andrew

Just got the diagnosis of EPI.

Post by Andrewp » 30 Apr 2020, 16:04

hello everyone. I have a 2 year old German sheperd, named Chloe. Confirmed EPI, her test result were 0.9. So very low im wondering of the lower test results mean she needs more enzymes. I am still new to this she's on b12 wonderland vitamins. Shes on the metro antibiotics in case of sido.Just so much information to process.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Just got the diagnosis of EPI.

Post by Madelon » 30 Apr 2020, 19:48

Hi Andrew - welcome to you and your pup. Sorry you have to be here and believe me we all know how overwhelming it can be in the beginning but please know that EPI is manageable and will soon become the new normal. There are four cornerstones to managing EPI:

ENZYMES: Most of us use EnzymeDiane as her enzymes are much less expensive than the prescription enzymes from the vet. To answer your question, no the TLI number has nothing to do with the amount of enzymes used. The dosing of enzymes is based on the amount of food fed - we recommend starting with 1 level teaspoon per cup of food, mix in a little luke warm water, mix in kibble and sit for 20-30 minutes before serving.

B12: Glad you are using the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills. Do you know what your dog's B12 level was at diagnosis? Please know that B12 supplementing is critical to managing EPI and supplementing is for life with these dogs as they can't maintain their B12 on their own.

ANTIBIOTICS: We recommend in the beginning to give the right enzymes, B12 and food a few weeks to see if the gut corrects itself before using antibiotics. If you do need antibiotics, we recommend Tylan for 45 days and slowly wean off. The reason we recommend Tylan over Metronidazole is because Tylan is much more gentle (doesn't have the bad side effects that Metro can have) and it does not kill all of the bacteria in the gut the way Metro does but rather prohibits the growth of bad bacteria.

FOOD: We recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less. Feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be not the weight the dog is but in smaller more frequent meals throughout the day.

Keep a detailed journal of everything you give and the resulting poop so you know what works and what doesn't. Try not to worry, we'll be here to help guide you along the way,
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 30 Apr 2020, 21:29

Thank you so much for the reply. She is on the metro for 10 days might as well complete it. Giving her 1 tsp a cup of enzymes. Also giving her one b12 a day don't know what her b12 level was but it can't hurt as she will just dispose of the extra. I hear alot about grain free dog food being very bad with dogs as there is no taurine i believe. Supposedly grain free diet is linked to alot of heart issues and such. Do you think its still a good idea to do grain free or try something that is not and see what happens.
I posted a pic of Chloe she was a rescue, got her as a 3 month old someone tossed her on the street because she had parvo.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 01 May 2020, 13:38

Good afternoon from the UK

We gave Kara grain free , chicken free, food all of her EPI life, 9.5 years in total

there is a lot of talk on grain free but I invite you to read this

https://epi4dogs.com/why-grainfree-foods/

the chicken issue is weird, Kara couldnt tollerate chicken or its derivitives in dog food,, but give her fresh cooked, she was ok , a good deal of our dogs have the same issues, she couldnt tollerate white fish either

as to Metro it has neurological issue

https://dogtime.com/dog-health/53249-me ... de-effects

scroll down , if it should happen , the vets need to give Valium ASAP

its rare. but best to be aware

we recommend Tylan which is weight dosed

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

thank you so much for rescuing her, Parvo is horrible, we never had it, but one of my cats had cat flu, which they say is comparible, that was awful she was only a kitten

you will get there with her

the diary is the big one

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 01 May 2020, 15:08

Thank you for the link on grain free. I will try that for sure with low fiber.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 01 May 2020, 15:45

Hello Andrew, and welcome. We know that EPI feels overwhelming at first.....we have all been where you are. The beginning is the hardest because you are trying to absorb so much information and take care of your pup at the same time. You are doing a great job already. She is very lucky to have you and to have landed in your care.

Many of us use Enzyme Diane's enzymes. She is a member here and has an excellent product for much less than commercial brands. I used her enzymes for almost 10 of Kolby's 11 years (he just passed in January). Diane is wonderful to work with and you can talk to her or email her. Her information is on her site.

I also heartily endorse keeping a daily log/journal. Record everything that you give Chloe and the amounts and the resulting poos.....yes, you will become a poopologist. Keeping the journal will help you to see what works and what doesn't and helps you to see patterns you might not notice if they weren't written down. It saved our sanity. You can download a blank form from our website or use a notebook.

Please ask any questions you have. There is a lot to absorb. But it will get easier as you go along.

Barb

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 03 May 2020, 20:46

Now I'm trying to find some cost effective dog food that will be fine for her. I checked the epi dog list and trying to come through all the brands. Anyone wanna come in.on what they are feeding their dog and what worked and what didn't. Thanks

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 May 2020, 22:35

what you might want to try first (and just buy the smallest bag possible... so that you do not waste too much money on something that may not work well....) anyway.
here are some suggestions: 1. Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream ... /dp/181318
2. Sport Elite https://www.chewy.com/sport-dog-food-el ... /dp/172138 (this is the one that i used most recently and like a lot... but it only comes in this size not smaller
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 04 May 2020, 10:41

i always found that if you contact the suppliers/manufactures they might send samples

Good Luck

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 05 May 2020, 20:48

There are lots of affordable foods out there - I would recommend looking for one with the lowest fiber and little or no peas. Several members have had great success using Taste of the Wild - especially the Pacific Stream. I have been using Sport Dog Food Elite Herding with good success.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.