SID?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Roy
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Oliver
My name: Roy

SID?

Post by Roy » 06 May 2020, 09:13

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing well.

My pup Oliver has been doing good since he started his enzymes end of last year. So far I haven't had to deal with SID and I'm not sure that's what he is experiencing now. He has burped a few times and just noticed him passing gas once yesterday. For the past couple of days I have felt some gurgling in his stomach when I place my hands on that area. He poop has looked great though. He's acting a bit more lazy than usual but will run to the door to go out and runs in the backyard.

One thing about Oliver, even before his EPI, is he is so picky at eating. I recently switched him to this food https://www.chewy.com/dr-tims-all-life- ... /dp/167609 and he seemed to really enjoy it the past week or 2 and for the past 2 days he's had the symptoms mentioned above. So I don't think it's his food. He's B12 levels are also off the charts in a good way.

Does this sound like SID at all? Even though his poop looks good.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: SID?

Post by jilbert57 » 06 May 2020, 10:25

Hi Roy and good to hear from you. What food were you feeding before switching to Dr. TIMS?
Just wondering as the food you are currently feeding has rice, barley and oats. These can interfere with the way the enzymes work.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Roy
Pet name: Oliver
My name: Roy

Post by Roy » 06 May 2020, 10:38

Hey Jill,

Prior to this he was eating https://www.chewy.com/taste-wild-ancien ... /dp/217987 . I know there has been a lot of mention of grain-free on here but I've just always been a little worried of that after hearing about it being possibly tied to heart disease. And his poo has looked really good on Dr. Tim's.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 06 May 2020, 11:16

Thanks Roy. Here is a link to the DCM from our site: https://epi4dogs.com/taurine-grainfree-diets/

You could try Slippery Elm to see if that helps:
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 May 2020, 12:58

Hi Roy,

All the symptoms/Signs you described do sound like SID. All EPI dogs have SID to one degree or another. Our goal is to try and keep it in good control.
Jill gave you a great recommendation... try a little Slippery Elm powder. (it's cheap like $12 a jar)
https://www.wonderlabs.com/newshowitems ... ippery+elm

before resorting right away to an antibiotic. Slippery Elm is a prebiotic, a mucilage and we suspect it prevents bad metabolites from breaking thru the gut lining, it also is loaded with SCFA that helps prevent SID. Sometimes if the SID is not raging, SLippery Elm is a nice all natural remedy that can get SID back in check in an EPI dog. if SLippery ELm works, you won't need the Tylan antibiotic for SID. Dosing instructions for Slippery Elm are on this page:
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
Also ...If you want there is a 15% coupon for EPI members when buying stuff from Wonderlabs. Just type in "EPI4Dogs15"

Glad Jill mentioned that grains can effect the efficacy of the enzymes from anywhere between 0% to 50%... we just never know from one dog to the next. And this might be why the SID has gotten or is getting a wee bit out of control..... try the slippery elm and if the poo improves... that's what is going on.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 May 2020, 11:07

Hi Roy! It does sound like it's SID and if it started after switching foods, it's likely because of all the grains in the food. I totally understand your concern about feeding grain free because of what has been in the media about it, however, my feeling has always been to treat the condition you know your dog has. That being said, some EPI dogs can handle a little grain, but unfortunately most cannot. I found out the hard way with my boy - or I should say the soft way as when I tried a little grain inclusive food his poops were complete mush and threw us into a SID flare up. I personally think there is much more research needed regarding the DCM issue.

If I were you, I would go back to the food that was working and as Olesia said to try some Slippery Elm. Remember to keep a detailed journal :) Please keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 May 2020, 13:54

Hi Roy,

Glad it has been going pretty well so far. Yes, I agree. It sounds like SID. Sometimes it sneaks up on you. Everyone has given you good advice on how to proceed. I heartily agree that keeping a log/journal is very helpful. It saved our sanity. Seeing everything you give your pup, the amounts, and the resulting poos written on paper often shows you patterns you might not have seen before. You can use our blank log form or a notebook.

Barb