Activated charcoal

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Sandie
Pet name: Sandie

Activated charcoal

Post by Sandie » 23 May 2020, 12:11

Hello!

A quick question:

Does activated charcoal interfere with enzyme activity (like Creon)

Thank you!
Fátima

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Activated charcoal

Post by jilbert57 » 23 May 2020, 14:44

I am not sure. Are you using it as a method of picking up toxins from ingesting a poison substance, or daily? If daily I would suggest waiting an hour or two after Creon.
I do not know this for sure.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 May 2020, 21:22

i too do not know how safe activated charcoal is to give with CREON.... is it possible for you to give omeprazole instead?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 24 May 2020, 09:05

We used activated charcoal on occasion with Panzym, no issues

Might be as well to check with Creon direct
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Sandie

Post by Sandie » 24 May 2020, 09:45

jilbert57 wrote: 23 May 2020, 14:44 I am not sure. Are you using it as a method of picking up toxins from ingesting a poison substance, or daily? If daily I would suggest waiting an hour or two after Creon.
I do not know this for sure.

Jill
I only gave it to Sandie twice, the vet suggested it as a way to help with flatulence, but I am very unsure about it.
Olesia711 wrote: 23 May 2020, 21:22 i too do not know how safe activated charcoal is to give with CREON.... is it possible for you to give omeprazole instead?
Very interesting. Would omeprazole have the same effect ? What about the risk of absorving B12 ? She takes the B12 with intrínsic factor from Chemeyes uk, as recommended from EPI4DOGS .

Thank you for your answers.

Sandie

Post by Sandie » 24 May 2020, 09:50

To Olesia

Forgive me... I just read that Izzy .... 😞🌈

So sorry, please accep my deepest sympathy. Hoping that time eases soothes your heart.

💐
Fátima, Sandie and the Cats

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 24 May 2020, 11:15

Ahh thanks Sandie..... i know there is a time and season for everything and our beloved pets cannot stay with us forever, but it is still hurts when they have to leave us..........

Regarding the charcoal, since Jean gave it with Panzym....i suspect it is fine to give with CREON.... my concern is that i know charcoal works great on dogs, BUT you have to be careful with certain gastrointestinal situations.... and that is what i would be concerned about...as long as there is not blockage or something else that they warn you when to not give activated charcoal. This is why i suggested Omeprazole.... and yes Omeprazole is safe to give with CREON... and yes, if you give Omeprazole over a LONG period of time, like any acid reducer, it will inhibit the B12 store to some degree. I normally am not concerned about it unless the dog's B12 is only in the 100's and the caregivers keep the dog on an acid reducer forever.....

All EPI dogs have a dysfunctions with secondary bile acids.... but to what degree from one dog to the next we really don't know... as not all dogs display (or have it bad enough- -not sure which)... SO if the activated charcoal has been suggested because of upchucking, acid, etc... i would try Omeprazole.

If you vet is recommending it to get the SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) under better control... it may help or not, i really don't know. WHat often works from our observations is a prebiotic and this is why we like to suggest slipper elm... as it is a prebiotic and mucilage and we suspect the mucilage help coat the stomach lining from allowing bad metabolites from getteing thru which is one of the things that happens with SID.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2020, 19:09

Hi Fatima. I don't know anything activated charcoal so I'll leave that to the experts :) I have been giving Doc Slippery Elm Bark powder for years and it really seems to help him. A few months ago I started giving him Omeprazole because he was have A LOT of wet burps and it has really helped. I do remember Olesia stating at one time if you use Omeprazole for a while and at some point it seems to "stop working" - stop giving it for about a week and then start again - for some reason it helps reset things to stop it for a week and then start again.

Keep us posted on how things are going with Sadie.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Sandie

Post by Sandie » 28 May 2020, 09:42

Hello, I am sorry for the silence, Sandie is in the middle of another crisis, I will be back as soon as possible.

Fátima

Dolce_7

Post by Dolce_7 » 27 Aug 2020, 04:15

Once we had a story connected with activated charcoal and my dog. He ate some pills by accident, while I wasn't at home. Those days I just bought a robot vacuum(it was something like a special model for lots of fur in house. like this vacuum-for-allergies) and guess what? Of course, when I returned home I saw really interesting picture. All the floor in hall was painted with the black line(I believe you understand what was it). From that time I realized it's a bad idea to leave a robot vacuum and my dog with activated charcoal together alone at home.