GSD with

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
roslyn59
State: Maryland
Pet name: Jasper
My name: roslyn

This is a hot topic! GSD with

Post by roslyn59 » 23 May 2020, 16:28

Good Afternoon,

Our history: Granddog, Jasper, age 7 1/2 yr, diagnosed 5 years ago after being rescued by our son, Patrick. He has been doing well on Diane's 8X enzymes and either Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish or Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch, 8 cups a day.

A year ago he started itching and scratching with dry flaking skin and weight loss. Many vet visits have included steroid injections and pills, medicated shampoo, Cytopoint injections, Apoquel pills. Suspicious of a flea dermatitis lead to rigorous flea treatment and surveillance. The vet keeps saying it's a seasonal allergy. Jasper was a little better over the winter with medicated baths 2-3 times a week. Major exacerbation starting in February. I asked for a blood draw for allergy testing but vet's not on board with it at this time. In the last two weeks, his poops have become loose and runny. He's eating anything and everything, including his stool and dirt, like he's starved and loosing weight rapidly. Patrick doubled the enzymes with stools now half runny, half formed. I believe Jasper was the first dog in their practice with EPI in 2015. We took them the protocol information printed from Texas A&M on our first visit.

Patrick, with a limited income, doesn't know where to go from here and doesn't like seeing his boy suffer. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
TIA,
Roslyn, Jasper's grammie

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: GSD with

Post by Olesia711 » 23 May 2020, 21:17

Dear Jasper's Grandma,

Thanks for trying to reach out for help with Jasper's condition.

Here are some thoughts- -please only try things one at a time.

Did the Apoquel or Cytopoint help at all? Or not??? If it did, even if not completely but like 50%.....one possibility is that Jasper has storage mite allergy. (I am dealing with this and it too quite a few years to figure out!!-v-Vet also thought it was a seasonal allergy). We now take Apoquel and are on Derm Defense dog food a special food for environmental allergies)

Regarding the loose stools, Patrick did the right thing by increasing the enzymes to see if it would help, and it sounds like it did--just not enough. For now i would continue with a slightly increased dose of enzymes... Many of these dogs as they age actually need their enzymes upped, simply cause they have aged and nothing works as well as it used to so they need a little more.

Has Jasper's personality changed at all? With the loose stools and him being hungry and yet losing weight, does it look like he has a belly but that it kind of hangs, or that everything just looks like he is losing weight and it is hanging on him, is he leaking urine just a little bit???? (possible A-Typical Cushings/Cushings)

Or, is his personality the same, just that he is eating a lot but losing weight and having loose stools, possible food sensitivity/IBD... hard to confirm unless they do a scope which is invasive....alternative is to recommend a HYDROLYZED food to see if the stools firm up. If so, this is could be what the issue is. Ask Patrick to ask the vet if Patrick could try a small bag of "Royal Canine Ultamino" hydrolyzed food.... it is a prescription food but this usually helps if IBD and at least this way you'll know pretty much what is going on.

Has the vet prescribed any antibiotic for the loose stools....Just wondering if this could be SID that got out of control. For example, above and beyond EPI dogs having SID.. lets say Jasper also recently developed IBD and by eating food that he is now sensitive to, this will also make the SID get out of control.... hence the loose stools now. IN which case, a course of antibiotics, Tylan preferred, could help initially and then once the hydrolyzed food is implemented.... things should resolve itself.... "IF" this is what is going on.....

Regarding the dry itching skin/fur... (that you can try once you get the stools under better control) is give Jasper a 1/2 tsp of cold-pressed/ extra virgin coconut oil..... if he tolerates the 1/2 tsp of coconut oil (without making the stools more loose) then you can increase the dose to 1 tsp per with breakfast and dinner... in about 3 weeks, by then you should see improvement in the skin/fur.

I hope one of these suggestions are helpful. Please keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: GSD with

Post by Jean » 24 May 2020, 09:14

Welcome Grammie from the UK

Over the years I have struggled with flea intolerance, in actual fact, a total allergy to the damned things

But the seasonal scratching etc is really lousy

We used Piriton if you can get that over there My shepherd Kai struggled with grass seed intolerance we used rock sulphur in his water bowl as per vet advice , have used it before , and ever since, for cooling

Weird stuff

I cant add to anything Olesia has said
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx