Has my Dog got EPI?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Has my Dog got EPI?

Post by Olesia711 » 22 May 2020, 23:18

Hi Ray,
So glad our UK staff was able to help you out. Hopefully Lenus will start feeling better soon. Please do keep us posted, and if you have any other questions, just ask!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 24 May 2020, 10:45

Ray, you are in such good hands with Jean, Fiona, Olesia! I just want to thank you again on behalf of Lenus......for all you are doing for this very deserving being. He is so fortunate to be with you. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. I know he will thrive in your care.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 May 2020, 19:45

Hi Ray. Wow what an incredible story. Constantly breaks my heart to hear stories of innocent animals being abused. Thank you for taking this baby in and giving him a chance to realize what true unconditional love is. You are an amazing person. Olesia, Fiona and Jean have given you great advice so I won't muddy the waters but will add to be sure to keep a detailed journal of everything you give and the resulting poops and anything else like itching. It will help you figure things out - it helped me figure out my EPI boy's sensitivity to fish.

Keep us posted on how you guys do.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Lenus

Post by Lenus » 28 May 2020, 07:11

Update: Lenus has been on 1/4 teaspoon of Panzym twice a day since last Thursday (week today) and there is a vast improvement. Although he was on Royal Canin Sensitive, while the colour of his poo was near normal, it was still too soft to pick up cleanly. The Panzym has changed that and a few other concerns, no longer manically ravenous, less dandruff and scratching and his poos are good in colour and texture, I can put the hose away 😁. The Royal Canin finished on Monday this week and since then he's been on grain free 'workingphrs' duck and potato. He loves it and in fact what he produces after appears better than the RC. We'll see how he goes for a week or two and then ease back on the Panzym to confirm or otherwise an enzyme deficiency or maybe a food intolerance cause. We will be getting his bloods checked as soon as the war is over and normality returns. Meanwhile, thanks to all for the advice and support given to Lenus and my Wife and I, priceless. Still on the journey so we're not leaving anytime soon. Loads more posts to come, sorry .😁
Progress reports as and when, thanks, Lenus and servants

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 May 2020, 08:13

Dear Lenus & servants,

WOW!!!! what a great report!! So glad to hear that Lenus is doing much better and that is an excellent plan to "proof" the Panzyme to at least give you an indication if this could be EPI or a food intolerance. And then once this virus restriction is over to have him properly tested with a TLI blood test. Just a FYI... when you are able to schedule Lenus for the TLI blood test, you do not have to stop the enzymes. They will not interfere with the test results :)

Keep up the great work and please keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Lenus

Post by Lenus » 29 May 2020, 05:44

Thanks for that Olesia, did wonder if I should stop the Panzym a few days before because of false negatives with a test. And the good advice just keeps on coming. We love it here👍

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 29 May 2020, 10:53

Good news Ray

As said, the enzymes only last as long as the meal they are mixed with, so, dont stop them, get his b12 tested too

The big thing is 8-12 hour food fasted for both tests, it changed recently from 12 hours, but I would still go with the 12 personally, just book the test first thing a.m

Good luck, and say hello to the Gower for me beautiful place

Jxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 29 May 2020, 12:22

thanks Jean .for the valuable extra info. Ray.... i too advice a 12 hour fasting. Most of us then do the blood test first thing in the morning and then immediately afterwards .... BREAKFAST :)!

Lenus

Post by Lenus » 30 May 2020, 02:58

Again more valuable info, much appreciated. We're keeping a 'dog logs log' and so far so good, no messy yellow poos just good ones. Can I say I'm proud? He is better in every way, his demeanour, his coat and his now regular movements. Still feel guilty for allowing it to go on for so long but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Again, thanks for the advice and support. As for the Gower Jean, the weather is brilliant but the lockdown means I can look out of our window and not see gridlocked traffic trying to get here. Every cloud and all that 😊

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 30 May 2020, 15:25

So glad to hear that Lenus is doing good now... WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are Lenus's human angel :)