Anal gland problem -- related to EPI treatment?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

Anal gland problem -- related to EPI treatment?

Post by mkazin » 31 May 2020, 16:18

Our 1.5 year old GSD mix Scottie is doing SO much better!! She's been on Pancreatin for about a month and a half now, put on weight, eating regularly, poops are very hard. I was wondering-- can they be too hard? We're not even giving her the full recommended dose of powder yet (working up reallly slowly cause she hates the taste) but she had infected anal glands last week. Wondering if having to push that hard can cause those problems? Anyone have any experience?
Thank you for all your support and help!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Anal gland problem -- related to EPI treatment?

Post by jilbert57 » 31 May 2020, 18:32

Did your vet say what to do if the poops were hard? You might try a small amount of regular canned pumpkin to see if that helps. I would call the vet Monday and ask. Did you complete the course of antibiotic? Maybe look up the antibiotic and see if constipation is a side effect?
I don't think it is EPI related, but another opinion might pop up.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Anal gland problem -- related to EPI treatment?

Post by Olesia711 » 31 May 2020, 23:25

Hi !

And thanks for asking. Not to my knowledge can anal glands be EPI related.... however.... that being said, i have learned never to say never :?

It could be that the food composition is (for whatever reason) giving your dog too hard stools, or it could be an adverse reaction to something she is taking, like a supplement or medication (Jill had a great suggestion... to look up any possible medication adverse effects). Or it could be a food sensitivity that is causing anal gland issues..... this is something that often is the cause of anal gland issues.......... food sensitivity or an allergic reaction to something triggering it.........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........