strange episodes of shaking

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
winston_dog
State: Colorado

strange episodes of shaking

Post by winston_dog » 15 Aug 2018, 15:13

I wanted to share a new problem that we have and see if any of your dogs ever had it. Winston is almost 12 y.o. Cairn terrier and he was diagnosed with EPI about 11 years ago. We are managing it with enzymes (thanks Diane!), probiotics ... and occasional treats. Two months ago he was diagnosed with melanosis (a hereditary disease - lucky Cairns!) and secondary glaucoma. He is now totally blind despite the treatment and trying to adjust to his new life. However, Winston also developed these new episodes in the last month or so that we thought were related to his anxiety (he has that too) or glaucoma meds side effects, but I can't find anything that would explain them. Winston had about 10 of them. He would be completely conscious, but ignores any treats, start panting, drooling, and, shaking, which last about an hour or two. He is not rubbing his eyes, no restlessness - stays in one place w/o changing position, just moves his head slightly if e.g I am trying to give him a treat. I am trying to sort things out before going into a more extensive exploration, which we are trying to avoid at any cost due to his anxiety.
This forum saved my dog's life (and mine) 11 years ago and I will be eternally grateful for that, so I am back again with another crisis... I would appreciate your opinion.
When the light in your eyes is gone, can you fight through the darkness with your heart?

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Re: strange episodes of shaking

Post by Barb » 15 Aug 2018, 16:01

I am sorry that Winston is having difficulties. He is a trooper!

Have you talked to your vet about the possibility that this might be some sort of seizure? There are different kinds of seizures and some of them don't look like the grand mal seizure that animals and people have. Our Bridge German Shepherd had a seizure disorder that was well-controlled with meds.......but he did have something like what you are describing at times, but it didn't last as long as what Winston is experiencing.

Barb

winston_dog

Post by winston_dog » 15 Aug 2018, 17:40

Thank you, Barb. I did consider seizures, diabetes, heart condition, anxiety attacks (new kind due to him being blind), and everything else on the planet... The most reasonable explanation would be pain due to glaucoma, but he doesn't rub his eyes, which would point his symptoms in that direction. We have seen an eye doctor, but he cannot even do an exam due to his anxiety. So we are really limited with him what we can or cannot do. And antianxiety meds don't work for him either... We are giving him CBD oil at night, so he can sleep. This is why I am trying to eliminate something like EPI, although it's probably not it:(
When the light in your eyes is gone, can you fight through the darkness with your heart?

Judy
Staff

Post by Judy » 16 Aug 2018, 12:24

Hi, I'm so sorry Winston is having this issue. It sounds like the poor little guy has a host of things going on.

Just my opinion but, I'm thinking this is probably not EPI related. It does kind of sound like anxiety given the length of time it continues. It's terrible when they have anxiety to the point he does. I have a non EPI Husky with extreme anxiety so I can sympathize with you.
Piper was 13 months old when she began having symptoms and diagnosed at 16 months of age. She had lost 21 lbs from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014 but gained it back very quickly once she began enzymes, B12 and Tylan. She would go on to develop Hypothyroidism, Cushings Disease, SLO, SARDS as well as chronic infections. Through it all, she was just the happiest dog and never met a stranger, everyone was her friend.

Piper crossed the Rainbow Bridge on April 20th, 2018 at just 5 years of age from other auto immune diseases. She will be forever missed, forever loved and her spirit will live on in our hearts and our home.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Aug 2018, 13:12

How long has it been since Winston had a full dental check-up? I just read an article on shaking and teeth chattering and amongst the top issue was a fractured tooth, inflammation, etc... Just a thought. Hope the CBD oil is helping. I have both the biscuits and the drops for the dogs.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Aug 2018, 13:55

I am so sorry your pup is going thru this.... but.... i jsut read the other day that there are a couple of eye conditions that are starting to look like they are precursors to Alzheimers and/or Dementia in people.... and 1 of the 2 eye conditions is Glaucoma. Just a FYI.... this information is via some human studies- -but they still want to do more studies .....

Anyway.... considering Winston is 12 yrs old and has Glaucoma... maybe ask the vet if this is even a possibility.... and if so, maybe then you can give a targeted drug/supplement like the anxiety drugs that you know would really be helpful.....to lessen the symptoms? Just tossing this out there................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

winston_dog

Post by winston_dog » 18 Aug 2018, 09:52

Thank you All! I really thought it could be seizures, but then it lasted about 6 hours one day and it's better if I hold him tight in my lap. So, it's most likely a new kind anxiety attacks and we are trying CBD oil and Xanax for now and will see if that makes it go away or better. Cannot completely exclude glaucoma pain, because it's like migraine and Tramadol seemed to work during one of these. Thanks again for your thoughts and good wishes!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Aug 2018, 10:12

Glad to hear that it sounds like if you hold him these "attacks" subside.... hoping this continues to help and please keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Aug 2018, 13:14

Glad to hear some snuggle time is helping!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 19 Aug 2018, 16:06

Glad to hear that strong hugs are helping. Please keep us updated.

Barb