overweight

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
vero2020
State: Texas
Pet name: Skyler
My name: Vero

overweight

Post by vero2020 » 26 Aug 2020, 16:04

Hello, Skyler my little 2 lb chihuahua now is weighs 5.86 lbs, he still does the Bio Case enzymes, B12 every two weeks, we checked his thyroid today, its normal.

He gets fed twice a day 1/8 cup (wet food) x 2 daily with boiled sweet potato, and dry (merricks) available all day, he is a little scavenger, he is constantly looking for any scraps (he doesn't find any). Is this normal? I am concerned about his weight, before enzymes in February he was sickly and was sick almost six months before the diagnosis of EPI.

He has had bloodwork run several times he has some elevated blood values, they are not sure why but did several rounds of antibiotics, he does not act like he is sick. He had dental on May 6th to rule out infected mouth, he only had alot of tarter and a loose baby tooth. He seems happy and seems healthy. I attached some bloodwork, he has some low and high values but none of the antiobiotics helped to bring down the numbers.

He only takes his Bio case enzymes, vitaplex, propectalin (when needed), tylosin powder(when needed), b-12 every two weeks, this is his medication regime.

Can anyone provide information if this is normal to gain so much weight? Can the pancreas start working normally (not sure how to word this but hope it makes sense)?
Any information will be appreciated
Veronica
Attachments
ScaNovaCopy20082615060.pdf
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 121 times

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: overweight

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Aug 2020, 23:19

Hi .... I looked at the blood test results, it looks like there was some non-regenerative anemia that then became regenerative.... but as time went on. things improved.... When my gal had IMHA (immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia) she had low HCT (hematocrit values (red blood cells kept breaking apart before maturing) and high Mono value (infection)..... They put my gal on many drugs but the main treatment was steroids and cyclosporine.

ANyway... where i am going with this is that the vet insisted that these values had nothing to do with her thyroid... i insisted they test her Thyroid. They did and she had low thyroid... her thyroid condition was a result of her immune system having issues....vs. just a "stand-alone" thyroid condition. She WAS quite chunky without eating much too. Once we started her on low thyroid meds, her excessive weight dropped off... however... what also contributed to the weight loss is that she was also simultaneously diagnosed with Diabetes too.

I see you had the T4 test done.... i was advised to do the FULL thyroid panel.... which it does not look like you had that done.... my suggestion would be do talk to the vet about having the full Thyroid panel done..

Regarding the infection that can't be brought down... also talk to your vet if steroids (prednisone) and /or if a course of Cyclosporine would be applicable in this situation.... i honestly don't know but would be worth asking your vet about...........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........