Wade update & Tylan Question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
kellyl
State: New York
Pet name: Wade
My name: Kelly

Wade update & Tylan Question

Post by kellyl » 30 Sep 2020, 20:36

Hi all... I haven't been on the forum in a little bit as life with 2 dogs, working from home, a promotion, and 3 teenagers doing on-line learning has filled my days to the max. However, I wanted to share a little good news on Wade. *he was diagnosed about 12 weeks of age*.... Well he was 6 months old on 9/17 and he weighs a very healthy 50lbs. He has caught up to his litter mates and is even bigger than a couple of them. He's doing awesome! My big question though is Tylan. We started him on a round of that on 8/4. Two pills per day (breakfast and dinner). Then on 8/18 we reduced it to 1 pill per day (dinner) until the script ran out. Which ended early last week. I noticed the pill bottle had a refill so I had it refilled. It took about 2-3 days and we noticed the poop going the other way. At first it would be solid and formed, then he would move again in the yard and go again and this time it was softer. Then he would move again and it would be softer yet. So he was like pooping 3 times during one walk. Where before he would just poop and pee and that was it. I also noticed his belly was back to having grumbles and he was extremely gassy which we had noticed that all of those had stopped while on the Tylan. So we re-started him on the script and we are back to normal. But now what?? Is it safe for a young pup to take a script like that daily? Should we be trying slippery-elm? My vet doesn't even know what slippery-elm is so she isn't much help. We did not wean him off the script. He was down to 1 a day and then we stopped when the script ran out. Any tips you can give is very much appreciated.

Oh and the calendar!! I can't wait to find out when we can buy it!!!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Wade update & Tylan Question

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Sep 2020, 22:30

So glad your pup is doing good.
A lot of EPI pups are on a maintenance dose daily of Tylan. Tylan kills the bad bacteria in the gut and leaves the good bacteria. Yours might be one of those pups!.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Oct 2020, 12:58

Like Jill said, mine is one of those pups. Maybe you could get his poo back on track, and then try reducing it a little at a time. Would a pill cutter work on your prescription? We have always used the powder form, and Tucker's dose used to be 1/4 teaspoon 2X day, but we've got it down to 1/10 teaspoon 2X/day. His poo is softer than my other dog's, but I can pick it up. So we're sticking with this. Seriously considering working slippery elm into the equation, we'll see. Isn't it great when they gain all that weight & energy?---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 01 Oct 2020, 20:58

So glad to hear that Wade is doing so well. Congratulations! Your experience with tylan has a familiar ring to it. When we would try to decrease Kolby's dosage, we would get so far and his symptoms would reappear. We could never get him fully off of it. So we accepted that he was a lifer on tylan. We also had one of those pups!

Everything else sounds like it is going well and that is great news.

Barb