Need to give my dog a pill..what to put it in?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
dana7123
State: Colorado

Need to give my dog a pill..what to put it in?

Post by dana7123 » 25 Aug 2018, 13:03

Hi. My fur baby (Belle) needs to take antibiotics right now for SIBO. I have broken down the pill and put it in her food with the enzymes but this morning she threw up "all" of her breakfast. Any ideas on what I can put this pill in to give to her? Help!
My Belle is a rescue. She was 3 mo when I adopted her and at 7 mo we discovered the EPI. Her TLI results were "0.4". We went to 3 Vets before we found the 4th vet who knew exactly what was wrong. What a relief! He put her on B12 and enzymes right away! I was so glad to find enzymediane! Belle gets 2 1/2 cups of food with 1 tsp of 8x enzymes twice a day. She is now (at 116 lbs) but now has SIDS. Started putting Slippery Elm in her breakfast (she would regurgitate breakfast & orange/yellow in poo) & she is doing great now!

Amber

Re: Need to give my dog a pill..what to put it in?

Post by Amber » 25 Aug 2018, 13:33

I put pills in empty gelatine capsules . hides the smell and taste even if they bite down on it
My name is Cheryl and Amber is my dog . Amber suffered acute pancreatitis in Oct 2014. This led to EPI with a TLI <1 . She's doing well on cooked foods and Forza10 Legend - a low fiber kibble . She's on enzyme diane 8x and a myriad of vitamins/minerals . She also takes a powdered pancreas glandular supplement which has helped her digestion of any new foods such as organs which she could not previously tolerate . Amber is also epileptic and on meds .

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Aug 2018, 13:37

WHen i have to give my Izzy Tylan antibiotic powder (she hates the taste and the powder can get airborne)... so.... what i do i pour the designated amount into an empty gel cap, then i wash my hands to get any residual powder off.... and THEN i tuck that capsule in a blob of cream cheese.... takes it every time without any issues. TYlan is the only medication Izzy doesn't like...most of her other pills she takes in her food.

The Cream Cheese trick worked so well that i now give my oldest (who hates pills ) all his pills tucked in cream cheese.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

dana7123

Post by dana7123 » 25 Aug 2018, 13:54

Thank you so much to both of you for that advice about the capsules and cream cheese.. I am going to go try it right now.
My Belle is a rescue. She was 3 mo when I adopted her and at 7 mo we discovered the EPI. Her TLI results were "0.4". We went to 3 Vets before we found the 4th vet who knew exactly what was wrong. What a relief! He put her on B12 and enzymes right away! I was so glad to find enzymediane! Belle gets 2 1/2 cups of food with 1 tsp of 8x enzymes twice a day. She is now (at 116 lbs) but now has SIDS. Started putting Slippery Elm in her breakfast (she would regurgitate breakfast & orange/yellow in poo) & she is doing great now!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Aug 2018, 14:01

let us know how it goes!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Aug 2018, 14:14

I have used ice cream(if milk products don't cause distress)cream cheese, peanut butter, squeeze cheese, meat, you name it! Anything that holds together. Let us know how it works out.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Aug 2018, 16:41

can I ask what pills you are trying to give

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Aug 2018, 10:28

Cream cheese always works for me - even with the pickiest dogs.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

dana7123

Post by dana7123 » 26 Aug 2018, 13:00

Well it didn't go too well. She loved the cream cheese (I gave her the evening pill with cream cheese) but late last night and this morning her poo is back to super icky with the sour smell. This morning I tried breaking the pill up and putting some in her food, but she found it and then "I found it" all over the floor. Little stinker!

Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the antibiotic is making her sick as well. She ate some of her breakfast, and drank some water and then threw up 2 times. I let her tummy rest then gave her the rest of her food, and put the water up so she would not guzzle it right after eating.

Will call the vet tomorrow but I am getting worried.....

The antibiotic the vet gave her is Metronidazole 500 mg. This is the only vet that knew Belle had EPI and knew exactly what to do. He calls her his special patient and even lets me call him on his cell phone. Seems to really love Belle as well as wanting to do anything to keep her healthy. He doesn't even charge me an office visit charge sometimes!...Anyway ....

Bpcooper14
State: Virginia

Post by Bpcooper14 » 26 Aug 2018, 13:50

I had to give that same pill to Ace at the beginning. What I did was feed him, let him go out to potty and then I'd give it in a little bit of peanut butter and bread like a treat. Fortunately, he never had any issues from taking the pill.
I'm not a big fan of cream cheese personally (except on a good bagel) so we've never tried that with him.
Hi all, I'm Bill. Ace was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18. In January, 2018 he was at the vet for routine check-up and weighed in at 34 lbs. In May after fighting with weeks of poor poo, he weighed 24.6 lbs. On Saturday July 28th, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic.
2 meals per day. He receives 6 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 fat free cottage cheese. 1/2 tsp Pantenex enzymes, incubated 20-30 minutes.