How to Administer Slippery Elm

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
MeghanCJohnson99
State: Georgia
Pet name: Polly Pocket
My name: Meghan

How to Administer Slippery Elm

Post by MeghanCJohnson99 » 14 Oct 2020, 15:02

Hi All- Polly is still on Tylosin, however she is clearly dealing with a nasty bout of SIBO still-- crazy rumbling noises, flatulence, what seems to be acid reflux/GERD (?) She starts dry-heaving/hacking after eating but doesn't throw up anything. She also licks anything in sight- furniture, her paws, etc. Am I correct that this is a sign of Acid Reflux/GERD?

Based on all of my research on the site, I believe Slippery Elm would be a good way to battle this. Am I right on that? If so, I read that Slippery Elm can interfere with the absorption of other drugs so I'm guessing I should NOT mix it in with her food that contains her Tylosin? If so, how should I give it to her? If mixed in with Yogurt or something, do I have to add enzymes to the mixture? Lastly, should I give it to her before or after meals?

As always, thank you to all of you Angels- Polly & I appreciate you more than you could ever imagine :)

Willow&Jen
State: Nebraska
Pet name: Willow
My name: Jennifer

Re: How to Administer Slippery Elm

Post by Willow&Jen » 16 Oct 2020, 22:22

Hi! I am new to EPI (began enzymes a week ago). My Willow’s 💩 immediately improved with enzymes but then plateaued and last night she had midnight diarrhea for the first time since beginning the enzymes. All that to say I have been suspecting SID and searching the online forum for posts about sloppery elm. Here is a except from a post from Olesia from 2018 (I think) that might help you...

‘SOoo... Also as mentioned in above posts .... Slippery Elm is a great prebiotic....you can give it with Tylan....but SE is a mucilage so it will interfere a little bit with the efficacy of the Tylan antibiotic.... so technically we tell people to give the SLippery Elm a few hours away from any antibiotic..... however.... i personally give both together simply because the interference is very slight AND Tylan antibiotic is not a drug that has to be very exact....on the flip side, if you give Kira any other medicine that is crucial then i would give the Slippery Elm a few hours away from the other meds (for example, i give it to my Izzy with EPI and Tylan.... BUT i have another dog that has Cushings and when i give him his Lysodren drug i do not give him SLippery Elm with it..........)’

The vet tech I spoke with a fee days ago said she wasn’t familiar with it’... so here I am trawling the intereebs for information. Oy.
Willow is an Australian Shepherd born 11/2018 and diagnosed with EPI 10/9/2020. She weighs ~42 lb.

10/7/20 Non fasting test results: Cobalamin 593 ng/L, reference 251-908 ; Folate 15 μg/L ; reference 7.7-24.4; Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity 80 μg/L;
'TLI 1.1 μg/L ; reference 5.7-45.2 ;

11/18/20 Fasting test results: Cobalamin: 512 ng/L ; Folate 14.3 μg/L ; Pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity: <30 μg/L ; TLI: <1.0 μg/L

9/16/21 Cobalamin only retest 673 ng/L

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Oct 2020, 21:49

Hi - I apologize for the late reply. If your dog is having tummy rumbling and gas you are likely dealing with SID, however, the constant licking and heaving could be several things - possibly a reaction to the enzymes - be sure to mix the enzymes thoroughly with water before adding kibble and use a wet cloth to wipe the muzzle - maybe even feed on a flat plate. For the SID (tummy rumbling, gas, diarrhea) we recommend slippery elm bark powder - as long as you are not using it with a med that is extremely sensitive and life preserving like insulin it won't interfere enough to worry about. I give my boy his slippery elm with his Tylan. Here's the link to dosing for slippery elm https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/.

Just to be sure there's not something else going on - are you supplementing B12? Are you feeding grain free with 4% fiber or less? Are you using 1tsp enzymes per cup of food?

Hang in there, we will do our best to get you on the right path.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

morgansh
State: Michigan
Pet name: Eleanor

Post by morgansh » 21 Oct 2020, 18:13

I gave my girl 1/4 scoop of slippery elm powder with her food and it solved all the gurgling.