Richie update and Tylan journey

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
GabandSam
State: Utah
Pet name: Richie Robison
My name: Gabi or Sam

Richie update and Tylan journey

Post by GabandSam » 15 Jan 2021, 19:19

Hi EPI friends!

First off, thanks everyone who has responded to previous posts, posted themselves, and given advice. This has been our saving grace navigating Richie boys diagnosis. He has gone from 8.5lbs to his normal range of 11.5-12lb. YAY!

Update:
Poo has normalized for about 80% of the time. There are occasional “bad poos.”

enzymes and slippery elm with every meal 2x a day. He was having pretty severe acid reflux even with the slippery elm so we just started to test out omeprazole. We will see how it goes... We had him on tylan for approximately 45 days with great success. We wanted to test and see if tylan was necessary or not. We’ve slowly exited that from the regime and will see if he can manage without constant tylan.

Thoughts or suggestions with the current plan?
Richie is a 5yo schnoodle(3/4poodle 1/4 schnauzer)

Diagnoses with EPI Nov. 2020. Lowest weight was 8lb. Normal weight 12-13 lbs.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Richie update and Tylan journey

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Jan 2021, 07:18

Hi Gabi---

We. too, are eternally grateful to EPI4, and we've also had some issues recently. I'll just tell you what we've come up with, in case any of it makes sense to you. Tucker did another 45 day therapeutic round of tylan because of bad poos, and as we slowly weaned him off it, we slowly added proviable & slippery elm. He is currently taking one capsule of proviable & about 1/4 teaspoon slippery elm with each meal. Right now he is getting just a smidgen of tylan every day, and I hesitate to take that away because his poo is so perfect I can't tell it from my other dog's, when I find it in the yard.

Are you giving B12? I believe that is a pretty important component of the EPI cocktail, and I couldn't tell from your post whether or not Richie was taking it. We use Wonderlabs Pet Factor.

I hope you can get him back to where he needs to be, soon. It's so nice when our friends are happy & healthy!

---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Jan 2021, 23:07

Hi Gabi and/or Sam.

Richie is a real cutie!

YOur plan sounds pretty good... keep a REAL close eye on those poos since you have slowly weaned him off the TYlan.... to make sure all is well... AND.... try slowly introducing a good pre+probiotic to his regimen.....

Typically If you don't try a pre+probiotic in the beginning before Tylan.... then once on Tylan, We often suggest introducing a pre+probiotic about halfway thru the TYlan regimen.... but since you have already and slowly withdrawn from the Tylan....watch the poos closely and it still might be a good idea to talk to your vet, get a pre+probiotic product (currently we are suggesting Proviable) and introduce the Proviable to Richie.... BUT start very slow.. we suggest giving less than half to begin with and work up to a full dose over the course of a week or two with any probiotic.

Pam brought up another good consideration with EPI dogs...... how is his B12? Was it tested and if it was not in the upper mid range, then he needs B12 supplementation. Please go to our B12 tab for an overview on B12 and EPI pets.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Jan 2021, 08:16

Good afternoon from the UK

HE IS SO GORGEOUS

b12 is essential to an EPI dogs digestion

https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_ ... py_for_epi

we were never able to wean Kara off Tylan and it was such a small amount at the end but......

and keep a journal

Good luck

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 17 Jan 2021, 10:07

Hi! Richie is an absolute doll. And a big CONGRATULATIONS on the weight gain and doing such a great job managing the EPI. I think your current protocol and plan is spot on! Keep us posted on how things go.

As a side note - my boy had a BAD flare up of SID in the summer of 2019 and had to go on Tylan (he had not been on it since he was originally diagnosed in 2015) - every time I tried to take him off of the Tylan the poo went south so he's been on a maintenance dose of 1/8tsp twice a day ever since - I've recently been able to get him down to 1/8tsp once a day and am hoping to go to once a day every other day soon. I tried introducing the non-prescription proviable (I believe Olesia has said the recommended one is the prescription one from the vet) however the poop went south. He has been on 1/2tsp slippery elm twice a day for about 3yrs.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jan 2021, 14:04

sometimes, some of these dogs just have to stay on a "maintenance" dose of Tylan forever.... although no one like to do antibiotics forever... sometimes it's what has to be................

do keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Jan 2021, 16:04

Hi Gabi,

I am jumping on the B12 Bandwagon in case Richie hasn't been receiving supplements. He is already gaining weight Yay! but you want to make sure his B12 is in the upper range (600+ ) because it can slip easily in these pups. Congratulations on the weight gain. Love that cute face!

Barb

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 18 Jan 2021, 10:26

Hey there, so happy for you and your beautiful pup- this forum is so wonderful. My dog has had slips with this epi mess here and there and whenever I have needed support- The folks on here have always helped and I can't thank them enough. I remember when I first started this crazy epi journey with my dog, up all hours of the night, running to vets, cleaning up carpets...etc...thank for this forum I was at a loss and was almost at a euthanasia point with my dog. This forum really saved his life. He has had epi treatment over a year now and is doing well over-all.
I am glad you are finally seeing food results! Well done you!
Kellie and Kohle

GabandSam
State: Utah
Pet name: Richie Robison
My name: Gabi or Sam

Post by GabandSam » 25 Jan 2021, 17:10

WOW! Thank you everyone for the insight.

We think he may need Tylan as a maintenance for life. After weening him off, his poos have not been nearly has consistent. We had a pre/probitoc but it was not the recommended brand. Thus far, everything recommended from the site has worked best. We will make that switch.

We administered b12 shots once a week through December. His levels were not below average but they were borderline prior to the shots. (I cannot remember the specific number). I appreciate your insights, and we will add in regular b12 supplementation.

In other news.... Richie is a mouser at heart.... last week he caught and ate a field mouse.... which really pushed our progress back. This was the first scary thing to happen post diagnosis. He had a few iffy poos, but his back to his "normal." The little guy cannot control his instincts!

Thanks again for everyones insights. Richie is doing A MILLION TIMES BETTER since diagnosis and a lot of his improvement is thanks to you guys!

-Gabi
Richie is a 5yo schnoodle(3/4poodle 1/4 schnauzer)

Diagnoses with EPI Nov. 2020. Lowest weight was 8lb. Normal weight 12-13 lbs.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2021, 19:58

Ahhh..... so he likes to chase little things, eh?!!! Sounds about right though ..... poos were off for a few days and then back to normal. ANytime they are a wee bit naughty and ingest something they shouldn't .... give them a little bit of something with enzymes right then and there to compensate for the unsupervised snack.... sometimes that helps avoid those temporary iffy poos.

Also.... you mentioned that he "might" be a Tylan lifer ..... and he very well might be..... BUT................................. before you go down the TYlan for life path, what you might want to try (please don't cringe.....) is yet one more 45 day course of Tylan.... and again, at the end, do the slow weekly withdrawal bit (1/2 dose 2xs a day for a week, then 1/2 dose 1 time a day, then alternate 1/2 dose every other day and then stop) sometimes with "some" dogs... when this Tylan regime was done twice THEN it seemed to work. MIght be worth trying one more time before you succumb to Tylan for life. But if Richie has to be on Tylan for life, that's fine too. Just thought i would mentioned this.........