New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 Jan 2021, 14:35

Nicole, can you take her out to play while the food marinates? Easy for me to say, I live in FL & have a fenced yard, but if it's possible that may help. If you can get her distracted & get your routine down with rewards like attention or ball playing, she will eventually get used to waiting. Puppies!!!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

CaliGirl
State: California
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Post by CaliGirl » 21 Jan 2021, 14:44

Thank you for the suggestions. That is the hard part, because she is not fully vaccinated yet we haven’t been able to go outdoors. She goes tomorrow so I am hoping to get the green light!!! First we had to wait because of parvo then we had to wait because of not gaining weight so it’s been quite a waiting period. I try to grab her chew toys and play but one track mind, smart girl, knows there is food sitting there waiting for her, so she just keeps going back into the kitchen! But I like the ideas, and I definitely think a nice morning walk while waiting is a great idea!!!! When we can starting walking outside I'm going to try that! It would work at night at well, which would be great! Thanks again!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 21 Jan 2021, 19:25

Congratulations on the weight gain! That is a great update.

When Kolby was first diagnosed, I mixed his food with the enzymes, then put the bowl on top of the fridge to incubate and set the kitchen timer He could see it up there so he would lie down and wait until the timer went off. Eventually, I didn't have to use the timer and then I didn't have to put the bowl up high.

Barb

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 22 Jan 2021, 01:26

Also I just thought of another question, mainly for olesia, the slippery elm. You said less than 1/16 of a teaspoon , is that just once a day or at every feeding? I order the slippery elm, so I don’t have it yet, but thought I would ask now.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 22 Jan 2021, 10:18

I’m sorry for all the questions, but what should cali’s poop really be looking like? And how much should she really be going? I still feel like she is going an awful lot!!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Jan 2021, 14:50

Here's the poop chart, which is really helpful--- https://epi4dogs.com/poop-chart/
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 23 Jan 2021, 12:12

Hi everyone! Just an update on Cali. She went to the vet yesterday to get her last of the parvo/distemper shots. She goes next week for her check up at the hospital, and then in two weeks for her rabies shot. She is now 3.36 pounds!!! Im excited she is gaining. Like I said she is looking so much healthier and has so much more energy. When talking to my vet though she doesn’t really seem to familiar with EPI, as she states she has only ever known 3 dogs in career with it. I definitely feel like this is going to be more work on my own with not much help from them. When I asked her about the number of poops still (averaging 5/6 a day) and a dose of antibiotics she didn’t know. When I asked her if the B12 should be checked again she said no, they were fine. In your opinion is the B12 something that can change through this course? Would you be concerned with the number of poops? I still feel like it is a lot and they are not quite formed yet.... I am still waiting on the slippery elm to come, it says it’s suppose to be here on the 29th. She is still SUPER gassy. Should I just be telling the vet to give me antibiotics? I’m trying to take all of her characteristics as good, but I still feel like we are off, but maybe I need to give it more time? Let me know your thoughts, thank you!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 24 Jan 2021, 21:48

Hi Nicole - sorry for the delayed welcome. First your little Cali girl is ADORABLE!! With regard to the B12 - it can drop FAST and you don't want that. I would go ahead and order the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills and start her supplementing - supplementing will be for life with these dogs. The dosing for Cali will be tricky as she is such a tiny tiny thing so I will let Olesia answer that (I will contact her and let her know to respond here to that). I'm not surprised that she is still pooping more than most because she's definitely dealing with SID - hopefully the SlipperyElm will take care of that and with regard to your question on that - you can give it with every meal or just breakfast and dinner - be sure to mix it in a tiny bit of water so it makes a paste and then put it directly on the food right before serving. You can try giving ice chips as a treat which is actually very helpful for puppies as it helps numb their gums and chewing habbits :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jan 2021, 07:27

Because your little one is so small.. approx 3 LBS if you are giving the b12 capsule break it open, spread the contents on a piece of paper, shape it into a rectangle and divide the rectangle of b12 powder into 4 parts (approx 250) each. Give 1 part 1/4 of the capsule) daily.
Just mix in the food and serve.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 25 Jan 2021, 11:38

Thank you all so much for the replies. The slippery elm I ordered came in early. We started it yesterday. I gave her a little less than 1/8 of a teaspoon for the day. I’m going to start off with that much each day for now, and see if it makes a difference. I have been giving it to her in the morning. I just don’t know if I should still continue the fortiflora as well? I’m going to wait for cali’s check up with the hospital on Friday before I start on the B12. I don’t want to do too much all at once. And I’m going to ask them to re-check those levels. Again she still remains to be gaining weight and is so energetic. We got the green light to go outdoors, so we have slowly started walking, she loves it! I want to transition her to outdoor potty, but I’m waiting a little while to see if I can get her potty habits a little more controlled. Once I take away pee pads they are gone, so I want to make sure she is ready. (Right now she is still pooping too much) I will report back after her check up! Thanks again!