New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by jilbert57 » 08 May 2021, 11:17

I will let her know :D

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 May 2021, 13:13

Hi NIcole,

THis is Olesia.... you can email me directly if you'd like. My email is:
olesia.kennedy@gmail.com

THe soft poo and her eating them now does sound like SID has happened and it could be the potency. Glad to see that you ordered the Pancreaplus again.... because this is the only way you call figure out if it was the enzymes.... by proofing it.

BUT... in the meantime, call Diane directly and tell her what has happened....she is wonderful to deal with, stands by her product and tries to assist when there is a problem.

This all may be related to the enzymes, or not, it could be that SID was brewing.... and once you switched enzymes.... it all came to the forefront... or... it could be that Cali is very sensitive (some of these EPI dogs are extremely sensitive !) and that the batch of 6x enzymes was slightly different in potency and set her off.....

We will do everything we can to help you get Cali back on track1
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl
State: California
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Post by CaliGirl » 08 May 2021, 16:04

Olesia-thank you so much for going above and beyond for me. One for creating this wonderful forum that helped me TREMENDOUSLY controlling and figuring out my dogs EPI management and then now going WAY above to take a call regarding her diabetes.
From the very beginning I have felt lost and alone and I can honestly say I have never felt so NOT alone. There are wonderful people on here who have so much knowledge and advice that truly is a life saver when dealing with all that we are with our babies.
Thank you to EVERYONE who has been there for me and a very special thank you to Olesia who really truly cares to help others, it means such a great deal.
Without this forum, I wouldn’t be where I am with Cali.
Thank you

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 May 2021, 21:05

Ahh NIcole, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comments..... i truly appreciate your compliments as does the Epi4Dogs staff. They are all volunteers and give freely of their time to help others.

It was also so very nice t chat with you on the phone..,,,, you are on the right path and doing a great job with Cali.

If you ever get into a situation where you just need a sounding board, especially with Cali's Diabetes, please feel free to call me anytime!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 07 Jun 2021, 18:56

Hi everyone.
I am leaving for a trip for a while and the vet gave me trazadone to give to Cali while flying. Does anyone have any experience with this with an EPI diabetic dog? I just wondered if it would screw anything up.
Cali has been doing great for the most part. Still trying to figure out her insulin as her numbers have not been reading consistent, but they are getting better.
I changed her food to ketona which is formulated for diabetic dogs and that made a world of a difference dropping her numbers drastically. (This was all against my vet who didn’t believe she was getting too many carbs) I feel she is doing much better on the new food.
I also had a question regarding her b12. From the very beginning her b12 was great when I had it tested, however that was when she was initially diagnosed with Epi in November. Is that something I should have re-tested? Or is that something that would have initially been low when we found out she had EPI? Just curious.
Hope everyone is well!

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jun 2021, 20:32

Hi Nicole, is Cali on any B12 oral supplement?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 07 Jun 2021, 21:40

No. She never has been because her b12 numbers were great when originally tested and diagnosed with EPI.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jun 2021, 22:12

With a chronic condition like Epi I would supplement B12 daily with Wonderlabs Pet Factor B12:

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

Any excess will be excreted in the urine.

Jill

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Jun 2021, 10:32

Hi, Nicole,
I agree with Jill about the B12. It can drop quickly, so having Cali on a daily supplement will avoid any drastic drops. Let us know if you solve the enzyme puzzle. We never had any issues with Diane's enzymes all the years we had Kolby on them, but that isn't to say it can't happen.

Olesia would be the one to answer your question about the trazadone, diabetes, and flying. I know people use trazadone in stressful situations, but I don't know about the effect on diabetes.

Will Cali be seated with you during the flight?

Barb

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 08 Jun 2021, 12:10

I have ordered the b12 you recommended Jill, thank you. How much should she get? I looked at the bottle and it said up to 50 lbs 1 capsule but she is little, 12 lbs, you think I should start with a half capsule a day?
Yes Cali will be seated with me for the flight, I could never leave her anywhere not close to me! The last time I flew with her was before we knew she had EPI, all she did was sleep, now she is a little crazy one, which is why the vet gave me the trazadone. I just want to make sure it is ok for her. We leave on Thursday.
Thank you Jill and barb!