New EPI diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
CaliGirl
State: California
Pet name: Cali
My name: Nicole

Re: New EPI diagnosis

Post by CaliGirl » 21 Jul 2021, 15:15

Yes she is getting the probiotic and slip elm in the morning and the evening along with b12 both am/pm. She has never been on tylan or any antibiotic because she hasn’t needed it thus far. She has been great with solid dark poops, so don’t want to put antibiotics in her if it is not warranted. This just started with the reflux being more lately.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 15 Aug 2021, 10:12

Hi. Does anyone know anything about Origen dog food, six fish? Is this a good dog food/brand? Is fish better than meat for dogs? I am needing to switch Cali’s food to something more accessible. (Meaning I can buy from petco) she is currently eating ketona. I don’t know if this has anything to do with her recent reflux. But either way I need to transition her into something a little different. Being she has both the Epi and diabetes I want to pick the right food and stick to it. Any thoughts?

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Aug 2021, 11:31

Unless somebody knows the answer, I would suggest comparing the ingredients to those in Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, which many of us have used successfully, and is also available at Petco. I tried, but couldn't share the ingredients myself. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 15 Aug 2021, 12:15

Thank you Pam, I appreciate it.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 15 Aug 2021, 14:00

Origen is generally considered a good brand of dog food. IMHO it is better than Taste of the Wild, but not quite as good as Sport Dog Elite in terms of general quality. The Origen Six Fish does have a bit more fiber than the other two, though still only 4%.

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 15 Aug 2021, 14:12

Ok, great info thank you! I don’t think the high fiber is actually bad, the food she is on now has a high fiber content and I just combat with enzymes. I like the idea of the low carbs though as I do think that helps with her diabetes. That is my worry with all these other foods.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 15 Aug 2021, 14:55

I should have explained myself a little better. I wasn't suggesting that you try the other two foods. I was just using them as examples because they are well known on this board. There is another food at Petco that I am considering trying with Clyde, but I didn't even mention it because it looks to have too many carbs and/or too high of a glycemic index for a dog with diabetes.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Aug 2021, 21:04

I have a question for you..... i understand that you want to buy a food that is easily accessible to you (like from Petco or Petsmart)... but....have you ever ordered from Chewy.com..... they are AWESOME, carry a ton of foods much more suited to dogs with health issues vs. the box stores and... (just my personal experience) i have lived out in the sticks and in a town... and the longest Chewy every took to get food to me was 3 days.... usually i received anything i ordered within 2 days... and sometimes (which i can't figure out how) sometimes i would get stuff in 1 day!

Just saying cause you jight want to give Chewy a try... AND i have found that Chewy is often cheaper than some of the box stores.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CaliGirl

Post by CaliGirl » 15 Aug 2021, 22:03

Yes Olesia I LOVE chewy! Chewy is where I get almost 90% of supplies for Cali. Unfortunately chewy does not deliver to Alaska. And that is where we are living now. I am currently back in New York for a little while with family again and then onto Alaska. I’m just trying to figure things out now and kind of transition here if I can.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Aug 2021, 18:53

How exciting!
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.