MY THOUGHTS ON EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

MY THOUGHTS ON EPI

Post by Jean » 23 Aug 2018, 07:14

Hello all and all new folk

I put this on the old forum a long time ago, and now can not find it

So here goes

You get a dog, or cat and its fine, all of a sudden it isn't, and you run tests with vet and you have a diagnosis of EPI

And you are given very little help in the vets surgery

You look at this pathetic animal, and its wasting away, and you get home, and research, and you panic,

Firstly, the cost of a life time illness, and you are all on your own

You find EPI4DOGS and you find you are not alone, and to learn words like EPI, SIBO,COBALAMIN, B12, ENZYMES, ANTIBIOTICS ETC

You didnt sign on for any of this, and this animal needs you

So you reach out to this group and they are there 24/7 with answers or just plain support, they teach you that there are cheaper ways to finance this illness, and what to ask your vet, and how to medicate

So you pick yourself up and move on

We have all been in new folks shoes, so please hang in there

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: MY THOUGHTS ON EPI

Post by Jean » 23 Aug 2018, 07:24

Can I just say that this what I remember from 8 years ago

Kara was difficult to stabalise, but she is now 9 and although we have other issues her EPI is stable

Just keep the faith

Jx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 23 Aug 2018, 09:50

Very well put Jean. You have done a beautiful job with Kara and she is a great role model.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 23 Aug 2018, 16:00

Jean, you summarized those early days of EPI diagnosis beautifully. That is probably the most difficult time. Once we find this site and know that there is help and support, it becomes much more manageable and much less scary.
Thank you for reminding all of the new members of this. Those of us who have dogs who were not easily stabilized are extra appreciative. How far Kara has come your loving care. And how much you have helped others with your generous support, day or night.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Aug 2018, 16:15

Jean, so well said..... you captured the sheer fright we go thru with the initial diagnosis and then the sheer joy of how well it can be treated with a little help from friends (Epi4Dogs)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

RingoMommy

Post by RingoMommy » 28 Aug 2018, 10:01

Thanks Jean.
It feels great to be coming out of the fog after three weeks with the diagnosis. We are tracking his meals and poops everyday (this morning he had a 2.5/3 for colour and a 2/3 for consistency) so maybe identify some trends. It's a poop rollercoaster but he gained 0.4lbs last week so I am happy with that.

The hardest things about EPI are:

1. Waiting for my food.
2. Still waiting for my food.
3. Mom, I see my food! Give me my food!
Foods!
Foods!
20180827_211253.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 6222 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Aug 2018, 10:18

What a cutie! Yes, waiting is hard for them to do.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2018, 10:28

what a great picture with a real cutie. Hope you submitted a pic for the 2019 EPI calendars... this one is a real winner.... made me chuckle :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

RingoMommy

Post by RingoMommy » 28 Aug 2018, 10:52

Oh, I think I missed the calendar deadline. I do think Ringo missed his calling as a supermodel... ;)

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2018, 11:03

You still have time to submit Ringo's picture... the deadline is Aug 31.
Just email his pic... any one of them, he is just so cute....to Susan. Her EPI picture email address is:

epipics0059@gmail.com

Just be sure to include your first name and of course Ringo's name :)