HELP/ADVICE/ENZYMES

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Lynn574
State: Pennsylvania
Pet name: Elsie
My name: Lynn

HELP/ADVICE/ENZYMES

Post by Lynn574 » 12 Jan 2022, 07:41

Hello all. My goldendoodle was just recently diagnosed with EPI. It took a little time to diagnose and needless to say, we are both frustrated. She is on a low fat diet and B12 and I ordered a prescription enzyme that I was anxiously awaiting to be divered. Well tis is day two, and she will not touch her food no matter what. I've tried different variations of food mixed with the enzyme and she won't go near it. Well, takes a little bite and then realizes something and won't eat anymore. Has anyone had this happen? The enzyme is Epizyme. Are other ones out there that may help? I am desperate. She's skin and bones and I need her to eat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: HELP/ADVICE/ENZYMES

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jan 2022, 08:51

Good morning Lynne and welcome to you and Elsie. It is a problem with some dogs who are highly suspicious of things not normal in their food.
Do you have her test results for the Tli, B12 and folate if so will you post?
Low fat diets are not needed for pets with Epi unless another condition is present that needs low fat, such as pancreatitis.
How did you fix the food? The ratio is 1 level teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup dry kibble. Add a little warm water and stir to coat all kibble. Let incubate 15 to 20 mins stir and serve. You can try putting it on a flat plate after incubation, sprinkling parmesan cheese on it, tuna water, etc...
Did your vet suggest starting B12 shots once a week or oral supplementation daily?

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guide-usa/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Lynn574

Post by Lynn574 » 12 Jan 2022, 09:47

Hi Jill. Thank you for your reply.
No, I don't have have her test results, but she had blood work done that was like 270.00 and he did give me levels that were "low" She is on B12 1000 mcg daily. It's a pill. I did do one level teaspoon and I mixed with gravy and I tried with a scrambled egg as well. I don't think my vet knows much about this so it's all trial and error and research for me. I just ordered the pill version Pancreplus so maybe I can sneak a pill in before meals wrapped in a piece of boiled chicken? I don't think she anything else diagnosed except for the EPI.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 12 Jan 2022, 11:54

Good afternoon from the UK

The b12 you are giving, what make are they ? can you give the name etc.

was the blood test 12 hours food fasted ? and was it the cTLI test specific for EPI

please ask the vets for all of the results of the blood tests they are really important

the only thing I can think of which has no smell whatever, or taste is Creon

as for a topper try parmesan cheese
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jan 2022, 12:03

Hi Lynn and welcome to our EPi family and we will try to help you as best we can.

First.... see if you can cancel the Pancreplus pills... they mostly don't work UNLESS you crush them into a powder, mix in the food and incubate... so you are already doing that with the Epizyme powder.
SOunds like you doing things correctly to start with ... but maybe try a stinkier topper to mask the smell.... something like real sardines from a can, tuna fish, even canned cat food, BBQ sauce...... see if these stronger scented "toppers" work...

If not.... the next thing you can try is take the right amount of enzymes needed and pour them into empty gel caps. Once the dog is about halfway thru the meal, give them the capsules.

If the above doesn't work.... THEN you can try prescription CREON.....these are enteric coated little pellets enclosed in a capsule. What we do is open the capsule, sprinkle the pellets onto the food and serve the food immediately.... you DO NOT let these pellets "incubate". This method is somewhat trial and error until you get the right technique and amount down that works best for your dog..... CREON's enteric coating is designed to start acting in a pH level of approximately 4 (human digestive pH level) whereas a dog's digestive pH level is at approximately 1... hence why there is some trial and error. and CREON is very expensive.... so we do what we got to do.... BUT..... this is why we try everything else first... all the tricks, before resorting to CREON.

And the last but hardest technique is to keep giving the dog food with the enzymes mixed in... which, if they are refusing now, they will continue to refuse... but only for a few days... sooner or later they will give in and eat... and then the problem is solved... it is just that this is SOOOOooooooo very hard to do... watch your dog not eat for a few days.........

Also... as mentioned above..... please ask your vet for the actual test results..... actual test results matter.

Hope this helps somewhat................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Lynn574

Post by Lynn574 » 12 Jan 2022, 13:10

Hello and thank you. I will definitely try the tuna and I was able to cancel the pills on time, so the info is much appreciated. I am in the process of having her blood results e-mailed to me. Is there anything I should be paying special attention to?
Thanks in advance
Lynn

Lynn574

Post by Lynn574 » 12 Jan 2022, 18:24

how long does enzymes stay "active in food"in other words, if they eat half the food and half sits and dog eats a couple hours later, is enzyme still "active"?

Lynn574

Post by Lynn574 » 12 Jan 2022, 18:27

and for those who asked for blood results, I did receive although not sure in this context what the meaning is, so if anyone can enlighten me, that would be fantastic.
B12 is 187
Folate is 16.9
and Trypsingoen/TLI is <1.0

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 12 Jan 2022, 18:55

Ouch!
Those results confirm that it’s Epi, and rock bottom B12 levels.
Olesia has all the information you need. Time for action

But you need to be able to encourage your vet to read the protocols in vet manuals and/or on this website. If he/she is up for a challenge and a good working relationship with you, it will be less frustrating. If you find you are being patronised or dismissed as an internet nutcase, be polite and firm. You are paying for the tests and professional advice (and wages), I used to be trusting at vets, but with the support and knowledge from epi4dogs, I got the confidence to question , to discuss results and know that I can always choose to see the same vet every. time.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Lynn574

Post by Lynn574 » 12 Jan 2022, 20:06

Thank you for your reply. As a mother of a child who needed special medical attention, I am the best advocate my precious Elsie can have :) and so far with the support of you all, the vet, well, we can teach him. hahah I know it will be trial and error. So far, I have tried the tuna water in response to my request for help (I promise I do know all who have responded, but to pull out of hat a name while typing is a bit challenging) but she gobbled it up, so massive family text to all tuna eaters to save tuna water went out immediately :) I am sure I will figure this out and life will be normal again, but in the meantime, thank you all for your responses and help. I wish I could hug you all and give you a big THANK YOU!