EPI/SID Greyhound Questions

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: EPI/SID Greyhound Questions

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Feb 2022, 15:50

Bryan, it's all about the poo. Sounds like your plan is working.

Maybe later on you can soak some of the herding dogs & sneak it in with the fresh pet, so it's not wasted. My maltipoo has IBS, and she is thriving on fresh pet, with tylan only a couple of times a week, and the occasional dose of pepto bismol.

My Maltese had 8 teeth removed a few months ago, and she can pretty much eat anything now. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Supe
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Ursala
My name: Bryan

Post by Supe » 28 Feb 2022, 16:37

Thanks, Pam. Good to hear of another long-term success story with Freshpet. That may be the simplest path forward if it keeps working.

Ursala has two BIG 4 year old greyhound brothers (both over 80 lbs, with one right around 90), so none of the kibble varieties sitting in the house will go to waste!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Feb 2022, 19:44

Just catching up now and am THRILLED to hear how well she is doing now.... my guess is, per usual, the final piece of the puzzle was changing the food. And Fresh Pet is excellent. SO many of these dogs really do much better on wholesome real food vs. kibble... but too many of us just don't have the time or the funds to do this.

I used to do 80% home-made food and 20% kibble and that produced the best poos ever and kept the weight on... and it was something that i could afford.
My son has a non-epi moyen poodle and he uses FreshPet and the dog is doing fantastic since switching over to FreshPet..

Sounds like you found the perfect ration of enzymes to food so that is good. even though not canned,... for wet food we recommend the same ratio of enzymes for home-made or raw food, etc.

And HUGE congrats on the 1 lb weight gain..... it all takes time, sometimes a LOT of time, but you have been doing an exceptional job helping Ursala heal!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Supe

Post by Supe » 07 Apr 2022, 09:50

Hi everyone, just wanted to follow up.

Ursala is doing great after both dental extractions. Sure enough, about a week ahead of schedule for her second set of extractions, she developed an abscess over one of the bad teeth, so they got her in a little early. She had a much tougher time recovering after the second surgery in terms of pain and bleeding the day of, but did great the following morning. They also discovered that a small fistula had formed, which got stitched up with the gums.

I have decided to keep her on the FreshPet long term. She cleans her bowl and has no difficulties eating it. She was starting to develop very goopy eye boogers that have all but been eliminated since the food switch and dental. Gas has been virtually nonexistent except for the few times we've suspected she nibbled on something in the yard. Even then, that would just result in about 2-3 hours of mid-day stomach gurgles, and would subside with no flatulence or diarrhea. Her poops have been GREAT. Light brown, and formed so well they look like they were pressed out of one of those Play Doh presses, with no excess moisture, wet bits, or green coloration. Even those spurts of poops she used to have during walks which would be almost pure liquid are gone. She is also VERY regular now, and tends to poop like clockwork.

She looks as though she's lost a bit of weight, so I need to bring her in to get a more recent weight. At her dental, she was down a little under 2 lbs, which is still a very healthy weight for her age considering the muscle loss due to the neurological issues, but I don't want her to lose any more. She has a pretty good metabolism and we started at the low end of the suggested portion size for her weight. I went up to a full pound of FreshPet at dinner, but may need to do so at breakfast as well, or introduce another mid-day meal, though I'd like to avoid that for logistics reasons if possible.

Are there any higher calorie mix-ins that may work well for EPI dogs that won't add much more volume to the meal? Thanks in advance.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Apr 2022, 09:58

Nice update. You can try a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil a day and see if she likes/tolerates it . It is a great weight gainer. If she is good with it you can up the amount.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 08 Apr 2022, 05:26

well done for perseverance and a good update
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Apr 2022, 20:45

Excellent update and i too was going to suggest Coconut oil.... the good kind... look for cold pressed or extra virgin coconut oil... it should be kind of a soft white paste texture, should have a very pleasant smell and comes in a dark/or colored container ... ( it is not well packaged if light can pass thru the container)

I personally like Jarrow Extra virgin coconut oil https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas- ... U884I?th=1

Start with 1 tsp for a few days and check the poop... make sure it doesn't go soft... if well tolerated you can slowly increase up to a tablespoon or two per meal.... but most people just do 1 tsp or 1 tblsp per meal....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Supe

Post by Supe » 08 Apr 2022, 21:29

Thanks, all. I will try the coconut oil - I keep it on hand since that's what I use in our popcorn machine!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Apr 2022, 17:26

oh..... another high calorie food (in kibble form) that many EPI dogs appear to tolerate well is SPORT dog food... although it IS very expensive.. and it is kibble.... so i am not sure if this is something you want to re-introduce to her since she started doing SOOooooo much better on FreshPet real food vs. commercial kibble.
But if you are interested, here is one at 460 cal/per: https://www.sportdogfood.com/products/h ... ngredients.

Personally, i would try coconut oil first.......

Supe

Post by Supe » 09 Apr 2022, 21:25

That was the last dry food I tried, but unfortunately, she turned her nose up at it. Given that we think there is some secondary ingredient common among these kibbles that she has a sensitivity to (including the HA kibble), we're just going to stick with the FreshPet. Thanks!