EPI Pets and Fat

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

EPI Pets and Fat

Post by Montgomery » 26 Jan 2022, 19:55

The naturopath Montgomery saw in December would like him to be eating something else, because he feels the food he's currently on is irritating his insides. So far, we've lost the kibble, with very good results, but the wet food is proving more difficult.
Is it normal for these little hairballs to have difficulty digesting fat? One of the foods recommended for him is Tiki Cat, but we never got past the smallest teaspoonful mixed with his usual food. The diarrhea just kept getting worse. The third ingredient is sunflower seed oil. Very soon after stopping this food, his stool returned to Montgomery normal. His Science Diet does have fish oil in it, but its way down the list. The Purina does not list any oil. Both are very low fat foods.
There aren't a lot of options for him. He is not supposed to eat plants, especially tapioca. He cannot eat turkey. I'm not sure what to try with him now, especially with the shortages.
He is on tylan for SID.
Since we ditched the kibble, he has much less gas, and has far less difficulty going to the bathroom. I'd like to make a wet food switch to see if we can get him even better. Ideally, by the time he turns eleven next year, I'd like him to be housebroken!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.