Enzyme question

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
ssmith
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Harmony

Enzyme question

Post by ssmith » 06 Apr 2022, 10:33

Hey!

It's been a while since I have been on here. Harmony is doing fantastic and weighing more than she ever has which is amazing. She has been on Bio Case Plus enzymes, and I have been very happy with them. However, Thomas Labs decided to discontinue them. They were affordable and quality allowing Harmony to get her needed dose. I'm currently in a spot where we are almost out of enzymes, and I can't get Bio Case anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable enzyme brands because I have to figure this out soon before we run out, and I'm currently about to head out of state for surgery.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Enzyme question

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Apr 2022, 11:12

Have you found out what condition you are treating for that the enzymes are helping? Or has Harmony had a Tli test since you joined?
A lot of folks here use enzymediane.com. They are very good and you can get sample packs if needed.

https://enzymediane.com/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

ssmith

Post by ssmith » 06 Apr 2022, 11:24

She has EPI. We haven't dont the test due to money being an issue, but she has responded wonderfully to treatment for EPI and the vet is confident she has it. I will look into enzyme diane!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Apr 2022, 13:02

I too endorse EnzymeDiane's enzymes for "affordable" enzymes... typically you get anywhere between 2 to 3 times more enzymes for the same price if you purchase a kilo. These are generic food grade enzymes.

However, that being said, please PLEASE consider running the TLI test when you can to confirm that your dog does indeed have EPI. We have had cases where the people did not properly test the dog with a TLI blood test, and the vet AND the owner assumed it was EPI because the enzymes "worked" and then later discovered that the dog did not have EPI but another health condition.

Sometimes unintended consequences happen.... one of these dogs died.... and it didn't have to die.. turns out he had a tick disease that could have been treated but wasn't because everyone just assumed he had EPI since he responded to the enzymes. So PLEASE get your dog tested to confirm (or not) that he does indeed have EPI.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 06 Apr 2022, 13:34

The cost of the test is anywhere from 200-800 dollars where I live, depending on where you go. Most of the practices here have been bought by a corporation, and a simple request for a test for EPI is met with, we'll also need to test for parasites, for liver disease, for thyroid function, etc, etc. Even if you have four other dogs who don't have parasites. Even if your dog has every symptom on the EPI list. A plea of ---this test is expensive & it's all I can afford, is met with I'm sorry.

I wish things were different.

After two years, where an old school vet did his own version of trial & error & diagnosed Tucker (and treated him), I was lucky to have a veterinarian as a parent of one of my students, and she tested for EPI, cobalamin, and folate, for less than $200. It had been clear that he had EPI, but I was encouraged by the forum to get him tested, so I did. EPI was finally, officially confirmed.

If you order from Enzyme Diane, you will see that she also sells a home test for around $60-$70. While this test is not considered to be definitive, I am told that if the result is negative, you can be pretty sure that's right. Consider ordering one, for a little peace of mind until you can do the blood draw. That's what I did.

Diane's Enzymes are great!!! --- Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 06 Apr 2022, 15:29

I am in Oregon/Washington state. I asked for Tli, cobalamin and folate and that is all they did. This was 10 yrs ago.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 06 Apr 2022, 19:31

I wish that were the case everywhere, Jill, and that they didn't add to the price of an already very expensive test. If my parent/vet could do it for $175 last year, why is the starting fee around $450 at other practices, for just those tests you have mentioned? I'm in FL.
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

ssmith

Post by ssmith » 07 Apr 2022, 20:39

Yeah, our vet was going to test her with all her other bloodwork but was gonna charge over 500 dollars for just the EPI test. He said the other ones were more important, so since I couldn't afford everything we choose to not do it. I will look into the at home test! She was already tested for parasites and literally everything else under the sun except EPI. Maybe next year I can afford to get the blood draw done but until then unfortunately it is what it is because I'm doing the best I can.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 07 Apr 2022, 20:56

It's called the Schebo test, and it will make you feel better once you've done it. If you do get a negative result, please post about that so some of the staff can offer advice. Also, my comment about a negative result being pretty accurate---I may be conflating that with what I've been told about the covid home test. I'm not sure. ---Pam
https://enzymediane.com/product-category/test-kits/