I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: I'm Needing All the Advice I Can Get!!!

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2022, 17:40

great! :)
Please keep us posted....

BTW.... are there any areas on the skin that is looking kind of dark?
And.... is the hair loss kind of symmetrical.... on either side of his belly or flanks?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 29 Aug 2022, 18:26

Janie, I am so sorry you had the long haul Covid. I hope you are improving and are starting to feel better. I know people who have had a rough time with it. They are fine now but it took time. Please take care of yourself.

And your poor pup has been dealing with a lot. Please let us know the results of the test for Cushings when you get them.

I have a question about the anesthesia issue. Does Zeus have a behavioral issue when he gets his nails trimmed? There are drugs he can take for anxiety that would not be as drastic as putting him under general anesthesia and would be shorter acting if he is so anxious.

Has he ever had his nails trimmed without drugs?

Barb

Janie
State: Kentucky
Pet name: Zeus
My name: Janie

Post by Janie » 29 Aug 2022, 19:09

Olesia711 wrote: 28 Aug 2022, 17:40 great! :)
Please keep us posted....

BTW.... are there any areas on the skin that is looking kind of dark?
And.... is the hair loss kind of symmetrical.... on either side of his belly or flanks?
I called the vet but have not received a call back yet. I think the bald skin areas look dark from where Zeus bit and scratched until he caused skin irritation and bleeding. Zeus has a small spot on both sides of his flanks near his tail end. The large spot is on his right side. Not certain if steroids have caused Cushing's Disease or if immune system has caused mites. I did add organic sweet potato baby food to his meals. So far he is tolerating it well. Zeus should be getting 2 1/2 scoops of Miracle Enzyme but I'm slowly introducing it as recommended. He is up to 1 scoop and I really believe it is helping (for past few days anyway) Too early for me to toot a horn though.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Aug 2022, 20:31

thanks for your reply with more details..... i would definitely talk to the vet about A-typical Cushings or Cushings maybe being a possibiity.... and if you can have him tested with an ACTH test.

Glad the Miracle enzymes appear to be well tolerated along with the sweet potato.

Paws and fingers crossed for you and please keep us posted!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Janie

Post by Janie » 30 Aug 2022, 11:16

Barb wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 18:26 Janie, I am so sorry you had the long haul Covid. I hope you are improving and are starting to feel better. I know people who have had a rough time with it. They are fine now but it took time. Please take care of yourself.

And your poor pup has been dealing with a lot. Please let us know the results of the test for Cushings when you get them.

I have a question about the anesthesia issue. Does Zeus have a behavioral issue when he gets his nails trimmed? There are drugs he can take for anxiety that would not be as drastic as putting him under general anesthesia and would be shorter acting if he is so anxious.

Has he ever had his nails trimmed without drugs?

Barb
Thanks Barb! I'm taking mine and Zeus issues one day at a time. Yes, Zeus used to get his nails trimmed with no issues before Pancreatitis. I try trimming them myself and gave him anxiety meds. He don't bite me but attacks the files or grinder.

Janie

Post by Janie » 30 Aug 2022, 12:20

Olesia711 wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 20:31 thanks for your reply with more details..... i would definitely talk to the vet about A-typical Cushings or Cushings maybe being a possibiity.... and if you can have him tested with an ACTH test.

Glad the Miracle enzymes appear to be well tolerated along with the sweet potato.

Paws and fingers crossed for you and please keep us posted!!!!
Thank you Olesia! I will post after I hear back from the vet.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Aug 2022, 05:35

sorry I have been missing in action recently

I was just about to say Cushings , its so similar to my Friends' dog who had this and it is manageable, he lost his fur along his back and his flanks, once he started on meds he was really ok

the only other thing maybe, have you changed any soap powder or such like
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Janie

Post by Janie » 04 Sep 2022, 13:15

Hi Jean,
First I want to offer you my condolonces on the loss of your beautiful dog (tears) in 2019. Zeus' vet will not test him for Cushing's Disease. She said because he is not neutered and also because he is on Prednisolone. I believe the long term use of steriods has lowered his immune system which cause mite (mange) issue. I am bathing him in shampoo three times a week and applying peroxide & water three times daily right now. Hopefully it is on the mend.

Janie

Post by Janie » 04 Sep 2022, 13:41

Good morning Olesia,
Zeus' vet refuses to test for Cushing's. She said because he is not neutered and on steroids and would not get actual results on the test. I honestly believe his issue is mites due to low immune resistance to the long term steriods. There are squirrels and bunnies digging and scratching all over my back yard and the vet's technician said Zeus can definitely catch mites from them. I have medicated shampoo that treats mites, scabies, mange, etc and am continuing to bathe him in it every three days as directed and then applying peroxide and water three times a day. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I think his horrible spots are starting to heal. The vet said it may be cancer coming out. Sad part is I never recall her diagnosing him with cancer. At his last visit she done a sonogram and said there were swollen lymph nodes around one of his kidneys. Perhaps that means cancer. Pictures on the internet of dog cancer doesn't look like Zeus' bald spots. I read on this website that plant enzymes are not a favorable choice. I have previously tried Diane's pork and beef, but they both caused Zeus to vomit. I'm not certain if the Enzyme Miracle Zeus is taking is a good thing or not....He isn't vomiting it up or having any side effects as for now. It does contain Protease, Lipase, Amylase among other ingredients. According to the directions, he should be getting 1 scoop per cup of his meal, which means he should be getting 3 scoops. Because Zeus has a reaction to everything, I am slowly introducing it to his food and he is now getting 1 1/2 scoops, but his poop for the most part is remaining solid any only having two poops per day on good days. I already gave up on the sweet potato because he started with stomach gurgles and horrible gas. I removed the sweet potato and gurgles and gas stopped. Sadly, Zeus is only getting chicken and broccoli. 3 cusps chicken and 1/2 cup broccoli with the Miracle Enzyme, and the stupid steroids. I have backed down his dosage of steroids on my own and will see how he does. Plus, Zeus gets the Wonderlab Vitamin B12 with his dinner meal. I have also started feeding Zeus 1 cup of chicken and 3 tbsp broccoli on my lunch hour every day to see if adding more meals will help. I absolutely love this website! There are so many suggestions and information that helps so much. Also, any new suggestions on food, enzymes, etc will continue to be welcomed and appreciated. Wishing you and everyone on here a blessed Sunday.

Janie

Post by Janie » 04 Sep 2022, 13:49

Sorry! I also give Zeus 1/16 tsp Tylan with his morning meal every other day. I'm still waiting to see some weight gain though.