B12's dropping??

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Mavis2021
Pet name: Mavis
My name: Eden

B12's dropping??

Post by Mavis2021 » 14 Apr 2022, 20:12

So our dog was recently diagnosed with epi about a month ago. Her b12s were normal and the vet wasn't concerned. He suggested ordering enzymes online so we have bought off dianes website. I recently upped her food from 4 cups to 6 with 3 feedings a day.

Her poops are good but I feel like she's not gaining weight fast enough. She recently isn't finishing all her food now and I'm wondering, how would I know if her B12's are dropping?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: B12's dropping??

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Apr 2022, 20:32

You would need to have a blood test. You can also supplement daily orally to get the B12 up.
Here is a link on B12 to read and there are a couple Wonderlabs links you can order from. What food are you feeding? Are you using 1 level teaspoon enzyme per cup kibble and incubating in room temperature water for 20 minutes before serving?
The Enzymes, Diet,Antibiotic if needed and B12 all need to be met for good poops and weight gain. You could also feed an enzymed snack before bed.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: B12's dropping??

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Apr 2022, 09:38

Since the majority of EPI dogs have insufficient B12 levels.... it is very possible that the B12 has dropped even after tested if not supplemented.
Best way to tell is ask the vet to run a Cobalamin (B12) blood test.

Also.... with EPI dogs... some vets think that the B12 is fine even if low normal...... and do not supplement.... unfortunately with EPI, and because of SID... (SID munches away at B12 stores) that even dogs with low normal B12 will still need supplementation .

But... there is another possibility. (1) you might be feeding too much (2) or SID is getting out of control a bit and this might be making your dog feel yucky in the tummy and that might be why she doesn't want to eat everything. (SID often gets a out of control a few weeks/month after you start the enzymes.... the best way i can explain it in a non-technical stripped down manner is that All dogs with EPI have SID, prior to proper diagnosis and treatment/enzymes... food was not absorbed properly, stuff fermented and accumulated. ONce enzymes are given, it is almost like little by little everything finally started getting processed properly and all that accumulated/fermented junk is getting shook loose causing SID at this time to be out-of-control. Treatment is to start giving prebiotics, if that doesn;'t work, try giving per+probiotics, if that doesn't work, then start a course of Tylan antibiotics.... to get SID under good control...

I am not sure if this might be what is going on, but it is a possibility.

And finally (3) the problem may not be EPI related at all. First look at possible EPi related, but if none of the above fits, be open to the possibility that this is something else and have your vet check out your dog.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........