Update on Trixie and question on special food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Re: Update on Trixie and question on special food

Post by TrixEPIMama » 01 Jun 2022, 18:04

Jane&Clyde wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 17:52 I forgot to ask...did you hold (not give) the B12 for one week prior to the recheck? It needs to be held prior to the test in order to get an accurate result.
Jane&Clyde,

Oh darn. No. I didn't know that, and neither, apparently, did Dear Vet. Well, that explains why Trixie's cobalamin was so high, then. I'll talk with DV about this, then probably re-test in 12 weeks, doing it properly next time.

Thanks for the additional recommendations on foods. I just looked at their ingredient lists, and those look like good candidates.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

Jane&Clyde
Pet name: Clyde
My name: Jane

Post by Jane&Clyde » 01 Jun 2022, 19:00

I think my brain went on vacation today! LOL

I also forgot to mention that if you think the pork pancreas is causing allergies, you could always try Creon. Unfortunately, it requires a prescription and is quite expensive in the US. But, at least there is another option.

TrixEPIMama

Post by TrixEPIMama » 04 Jun 2022, 15:55

Your brain's just fine, Jane&Clyde.

My brain -- and Dear Vet's, since we both failed on knowing the correct prep for the cobalamin test -- is the faulty one, these days.

For now I'm operating on the assumption that pork pancreas is not going to turn out to be the big problem, since the amount she gets in tiny and pork barely crosses the line into being an allergen for Trixie. But I'm glad to know about any possible options.

UPDATE ON MY UPDATE:
Trixie's cobalamin levels will be re-tested on 6/13 and hopefully we'll have more accurate results to go on shortly thereafter.

Partner and I have decided to transition Trixie from her current Science Diet (which has two of her allergens in the first five ingredients) to Canidae Pure Angus Beef and Barley (which has none anywhere). If her various itchies don't improve on the Canidae, we'll switch to one of the other kibbles mentioned in this thread.

Meanwhile, I've started mixing canned pumpkin into her meals, though it's too early to know if that's going to make any difference. Also waiting on the Preparation H wipes.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Jun 2022, 14:33

looking forward to hearing Trixie's updated B12 test level results !
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TrixEPIMama

Post by TrixEPIMama » 13 Jun 2022, 17:54

Thanks, Olesia. Me, too.

Trixie had the blood draw this morning for the cobolamin re-test, this time doing it right, having gone a week without any B12 supplementation. Might have the results as early as Wednesday. Crossing fingers she's in that upper-range sweet spot.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jun 2022, 19:39

paws and fingers crossed for you... and Trixie... that the B12 levels ARE nice and high :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TrixEPIMama

Post by TrixEPIMama » 17 Jun 2022, 11:56

UPDATES on Trixie (and another question):

1. Her cobalamin level, after a week with no B12 supplementation, is 932! So oral supplementation is working, and maybe a little too well!

I've been giving a capsule a day of WonderLabs Trinfac B. Should I cut down to four or five a week?

2. We've totally transitioned her to her new food (Canidae Pure Angus Beef and Barley) and the only treats she gets are freeze-dried liver and an occasional rawhide. Her butt itching seems to be easing, but in the last week her ears have begun bothering her, though she shows no sign of an ear infection. Sigh. Always something.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jun 2022, 15:12

AWESOME!!!!! That is a very nice B12 number :):):)

I would only cut out 1 pill a week... so just give 6 days a week. You want to "Maintain" this nice B12 level.

Watch the ears.... it could be the barley in the food... or not.... hard to tell. what you might want to try first is wiping out the inside of her ears with a concoction of warm apple cider vinegar & water (ratio is 1:1) . An old country vet told me to do this years ago to keep the ears clean without messing up the natural pH in the ears.

If you need to treat rather than just keep clean, my stand by for ears is ZYMOX otic .. you can buy this at Amazon, Chewy and/or most pet stores. Another vet recommended product :)
Attachments
Zymox.jpg
Zymox.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 492 times

TrixEPIMama

Post by TrixEPIMama » 18 Jun 2022, 13:12

Thank you again, Olesia. You're always right there with the most helpful info. Zymox otic is now on my subscribe and save and this weekend Trixie will reluctantly stand still for a vinegar (organic, with mother) and water ear wipe.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Jun 2022, 13:16

hope fully this will help get her ear feeling better.... but if it gets hot and red (and a little puffy/inflamed) throughout..... that usually indicates and infection that needs antibiotics in which case that translates a trip to the vets.

keep us posted!

P.S. I sued Apple cider vinegar for lots of things for the dog..... BUT.... just a little tidbit.... with EPi dogs DO NOT put Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water as vinegar destroys enzymes..... so best not to put in their drinking water...........