SUDDEN CLEAR LIQUID LEAKAGE!!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
REGIFLOR
Pet name: Hannah
My name: Regina

SUDDEN CLEAR LIQUID LEAKAGE!!!

Post by REGIFLOR » 11 Jun 2022, 18:46

I am guessing this is completely unrelated to my Hannah's existing and controlled EPI condition but wondering if anyone has ever experience a sudden onset of clear liquid leakage from private areas -
I have not yet been able to determine if is vaginal or anal but when she lays down she leaves a pool of liquid - no colour, no scent...
I have no idea what this could be...She is trying to clean it up herself but it seems to be increasing. So strange...
My vet can't see me until Monday but I will monitor all other signals...

We went for a long jog earlier, she's eating/drinking, pooping fine etc...

thanks for any info, reactions, ideas...

Regina and Hannah (3 1/2 yrs old, diagnosed with EPI in Feb)

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: SUDDEN CLEAR LIQUID LEAKAGE!!!

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jun 2022, 19:00

Not sure but in my dog Kiya's case it turned out to be spay incontinence(3yrs after being spayed). She ran with me and drank a lot of water. I would recommend a vet visit to rule out a UTI. Kiya would lie down then leak upon standing. She was put on low dose Proin for life. This is just a thought as you are not sure if it is anal, bladder or vaginal at this point.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

REGIFLOR

Post by REGIFLOR » 11 Jun 2022, 21:51

Thanks so much Jill
I have now been able to observe that it is indeed vaginally sourced - however so strange that it's clear and can be high volume at times. It's only happened 3 times since 3pm so I'm monitoring closely. My problem is i'm about to leave her with a friend for 10 days (due to travel) and already have to relay somewhat complicated instructions on enzymes, B12 etc, so the last thing i want to do is burden them with leakage and new risk : (
I'm strangely hoping it is something definitive and treatable like at UTI... any tips on obtaining a sterile urine sample...never done it before....
Do you think the running affects Kiya's ability to be continent, even this young? Have you been able to keep running with her? She definitely drinks more when it's hot and we run for longer so perhaps that impacting her ability to be continent - but so strange how it was sudden and immediate...this has never happened before and Jindo breed is highly picky about never having an accident in the house...
Thanks,
Regina

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Jun 2022, 23:11

The only way I know of for a sterile sample is to take the pup in and the vet uses a needle directly into the bladder. (cystocentesis)
None of Kiyas incontinence issues got in the way of our running. She was a 44lb aussie/heeler and got incontinent at age 3 in 2009. She was on the lowest dose Proin the rest of her life and we didn't have any issues until old age set in in 2020!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 12 Jun 2022, 00:53

Yes! Twice. Once when the veterinarian put Montgomery on z/d, he expelled what could only be called thick water and had to go back to the clinic. He was quite sick and required fluids. The second time, he ate a Milk-Bone that Minnie May had stashed (she used to eat the ends and leave the centres. She had very clean teeth. No she was not a dog.) He had to go to the clinic. He needed fluids. Dehydrated.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Jun 2022, 12:02

My Izzy all of a sudden started "leaking" lakes when at rest in our home when she was 6 months old.... it turned out to be juvenile incontinence... So i tried all the "natural" treatments, (corn silk was highly recommended) ... but..... it nor any of the other holistic treatments worked.

Vet had to put her on a low dose of PROIN.... and that worked immediately. Izzy stayed on PROIN for the remainder of her life. She blessed our lives for 15 wonderful years.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

REGIFLOR

Post by REGIFLOR » 12 Jun 2022, 17:44

....so interesting that incontinence can start so young and so suddenly...i will definitely look into the low dose of Proin..
thank you all...

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jun 2022, 00:00

Have the vet examine her to see if it is incontinence.......and if they confirm that this is what is going on they probably will recommend PROIN or something similar....

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Post by TrixEPIMama » 13 Jun 2022, 17:50

It does sound like spay incontinence (other than the lack of odor; but then, if it's not super-concentrated, the odor could be light). Occasional puddles while sleeping are very characteristic of that.

I had a foster dog once whose humans had brought her in to be euthanized simply because of that problem. After Dear Vet sneaked her out the back door, so to speak, and handed her to me, she eventually lived a good, long life with an adoptive family. Her incontinence was perfectly manageable with a medicine that (then) cost only $8 a month. Probably a bit more now, but this tends to an easy condition to manage.

I've twice seen signs of leakage from my EPI dog, Trixie, too (and why not; she seems to have every other condition under the sun... :roll: ) . But so far DV says wait and see.
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Jun 2022, 19:43

Trixie sounds like my Izzy....as she developed everything under the sun...... but thankfully Izzy was such a happy dog, nothing kept her down for too long and she was such a mischievous little imp.... always made us laugh! But looking back.... i do wonder, if once the immune system is so very compromised that that is why they often go on to develop so many other issues.........