Switch to raw pancreas

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Switch to raw pancreas

Post by Chance » 17 Jun 2022, 20:18

Hi everyone! Finally, after 2 months my dog meat supplier called to say she's found me some raw pancreas!! She ordered 10 lbs. Coming on Wednesday.

Three questions.

1. Can only get beef pancreas. I know it's lower in lipase enzyme. Being raw fed, and bad joints, his food is definitely not lower in fat. Might be on the high side. Should I look for a lipase enzyme supplement?

2. Currently on 3/4 tsp Pantenex per 3/4 lbs of food. It's the lowest dose we could use to stop seeing raw meat in his poops. How much pancreas to to try to match this 🤣.

3. Does the pancreas need to be ground and mixed in the food; I assume? No incubating as I understand?

Thanks for any advice!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Switch to raw pancreas

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Jun 2022, 22:59

Hi and thanks for asking about "how to" with raw beef pancreas. We actually have a section on it on this page: https://epi4dogs.com/enzymes-in-brief/
but i am also copying it for you here and this should answer all your questions.

FEEDING RAW PANCREAS: If you would like to try using raw pancreas; fresh beef, pork or lamb pancreas are recommended. Raw BEEF Pancreas is available for purchase in the USA at http://www.hare-today.com/ or http://www.greentripe.com/ . or Sirius Natural Pet Foods . There is also an amazing selection of raw pancreas at: https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/ . If you are in the U.K. you can look into http://rawtogo.co.uk/ . One to three or four ounces of raw pancreas can replace one teaspoon of pancreatic extract. Raw pancreas may be frozen in cubes for future use and thawed naturally, but never heat on the stove or in the microwave.

First puree the raw pancreas and (for your convenience) then freeze it in 1 ounce packets (or an ice try should work). Once you figure out how many ounces of raw pancreas your dog responds best to per 1 cup of food....(whether it is 1, 2 ,3 or 4 ounces of the raw pancreas)..... let the proper amount of frozen raw pureed pancreas thaw naturally.... and mix in with the food. It appears to usually work best when allowed to "incubate"... we suggest 15 - 20 minutes... but some do fine with less time, and some seem to need a few minutes more. IN the beginning there will be some trial and error until you figure out what works best for your dog.

If possible beef or lamb raw pancreas is recommended over pork pancreas because of the “possibility” of the transmission of pseudorabies, although rare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorabies

Also… raw pancreas is not all the same. Each and every gland has a different potency of enzymes. This is not just species to species. The potency can vary from one farm animal to another farm animal as well. If you use 1 ounce of raw pancreas with the batch you are currently using the next batch may need to be tweaked. Fresh pancreas has a shelf life (in the freezer) of up to 3 months.

Adding enzymes to a raw fed meal:
Since raw food is harder to measure by the cup since the densities of different meat/bones will require different levels of enzymes, it is easiest to go by weight rather than amount! ” To add the enzymes, you can either puree a portion of the raw meat and add the enzymes to that pureed slurry and pour over the remainder of the raw food, let sit for 20 minutes and serve, or you can add the enzymes to something like yogurt/kefir and either add to the food as mentioned above, or serve the enzymed slurry first ahead of the meal. Try both to see which works best with your EPI dog. (Thank you Cait for these great suggestions!)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jhill206
State: Pennsylvania
Pet name: Princess Peach
My name: Joe

Post by jhill206 » 04 Sep 2022, 09:28

Hello,

I'm looking into trying raw pancreas as well. For my clarification, is the dose in fluid oz (volume) or oz (weight)?
Thanks.

-Joe

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 04 Sep 2022, 14:00

jhill206 wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 09:28 Hello,

I'm looking into trying raw pancreas as well. For my clarification, is the dose in fluid oz (volume) or oz (weight)?
Thanks.

-Joe
I went by weight of pancreas meat. I used silicone ice cube trays. Each cube weighed 1 oz exactly.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 05 Sep 2022, 07:16

Good afternoon from the UK

My Kara wouldnt have raw pancreas , but my friend bough a new small freezer for her dog and used the silicone ice cube moulds she used 4ozs as in weight and froze it until it was needed , I would probably blend it, its very slippery

Good luck
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx