I need help! GSD diagnosis

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Psphinx81
State: Texas
Pet name: Axle
My name: Paul

I need help! GSD diagnosis

Post by Psphinx81 » 07 Jul 2022, 04:26

Good morning from texas everyone!

On 7/4 my shepherd started having diarrhea out of the blue after we gave him his sentinel and bravecto to o Saturday afternoon (7/2). I thought it might have been side effects from the meds but he still is having the poops.

I took him to the vet yesterday evening and they started him on a probiotic and anti diarrhea meds. It hasn’t worked yet as he still has the runs. I don’t know if there is another underlying issue going on but I’m very dis satisfied with my vet and plan on going to another for a second opinion.

A past history on my 4 yr old GSD, Axle. He’s had bloody diarrhea stool in the past and a change of diet helped and he has not had a bloody stool since. I was told he was B12 deficient and I give him pet factors b12 daily, he has not been tested since. He weighed in yesterday at 85 lbs when he is normally 91-93.

I put him on a bland diet staring on Monday (chicken and rice) but he’s still having to go poop a lot every time he goes out and only pushes out a very small amount of liquidy (brown/yellow) with sometimes mucus looking stool in there as well. He is still eating and drinking, he also still wants to play a lot as well.

I’m really at a wits end here, my vet wants me to have get a colonoscopy done to see if it’s IBD or something else going on.

Like I said earlier, I want to reach out to another vet and have look at him. I’m very concerned that he is still having diarrhea still as much as he is. What should I ask them to do to test him for everything.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: I need help! GSD diagnosis

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jul 2022, 09:11

Good morning Paul. I would schedule a cTli test for Epi, a B12 and folate test. Please food fast Axle 8-12 hours before the test. This way you will know for sure if it is Epi.
If it is Epi and the pancreas is not functioning, Axle will need porcine(or equivalent) replacement enzymes added to all food for life.
A couple things, sometimes chicken can be an issue so a different protein is used. Grains can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes so a grain free diet of 4% or less fiber is recommended. The B12 of an Epi dog is usually low so oral supplementation is needed. Shots can also be used once a week for 6 weeks to start off. Usually there is an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut(SID or SIBO) so a course od antibiotic is needed. We recommend Tylan for 45 days twice daily.
So 4 things must be addressed: Enzyme, Diet, Antibiotic and B12.
Here is some reading:
https://epi4dogs.com/epi/epi-in-brief/

https://epi4dogs.com/epi-quick-guide-usa/

https://epi4dogs.com/enzymes-in-brief/

Epi is very manageable and if that turns out to be the case we can help.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 07 Jul 2022, 09:44

Thank you for the response. I just spoke to the vet and the one tech is asking the doctor about the blood test because she didn’t know.

I was just outside with him and he now has some blood in his stool again. :cry:

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 07 Jul 2022, 09:59

Spoke to the vet doctor and she stated doing those tests wouldn’t change anything since we do have the colonoscopy scheduled for him next Tuesday. She said she wouldnt get the test results back till next week anyway.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:04

Rats no image came through.

You could forward the link I attached about cTli testing to your vet for their information if needed.

I know a lot of folks send the samples to TAMU. Mickeys was done through his vet through IDEXX and they did cTli, B12 and folate as a package.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:07

Interesting about the visit with your vet. Not sure how they can tell if the pancreas is functioning or not through a colonoscopy but I guess thats why they are vets and I'm not! Good luck and let us know the results.

Jill

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:09

jilbert57 wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 10:07 Interesting about the visit with your vet. Not sure how they can tell if the pancreas is functioning or not through a colonoscopy but I guess thats why they are vets and I'm not! Good luck and let us know the results.

Jill
My guess is maybe they plan on doing blood work while he is there for the endoscopy

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:32

Lol so maybe those tests might change something! Lets hope they do them :D
If we can help in between times let us know.

Jill

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:34

I’m just so frustrated and hate seeing my boy like this. I’m hoping I can get some answers soon. I scheduled with a new vet just now for tomorrow morning that actually listened to my concerns.

Psphinx81

Post by Psphinx81 » 07 Jul 2022, 10:41

E23040DF-3CC3-4F1B-A2FB-EBA044803130.jpeg
E23040DF-3CC3-4F1B-A2FB-EBA044803130.jpeg (216.8 KiB) Viewed 501 times
589471C6-98D1-43CA-9A55-B51074D3358A.jpeg
589471C6-98D1-43CA-9A55-B51074D3358A.jpeg (178.59 KiB) Viewed 501 times
D163D302-F333-4EEB-B2FC-71BDC895E0B5.jpeg
D163D302-F333-4EEB-B2FC-71BDC895E0B5.jpeg (235.34 KiB) Viewed 501 times
These are his last 3. Seems every time he goes out he tries to go and nothing really comes out