Unwell GSD

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
LauraF
Pet name: Rosie

Unwell GSD

Post by LauraF » 14 Jul 2022, 04:49

Hi,
I'm hoping someone may be able to help me understand what is going on with my very sick 5YO GSD.
She has been showing symptoms such being lethargic, glassy eyes, slow cognitive function, slow motor functions (unsteady on feed, swaying when standing, slow walking, difficulty lifting legs), high temperature, little interest in food, loud abdominal noises for the past 6/7 days.
I brought her to the vet 5 days ago and bloods showed her ALT was extremely high (indicating something is wrong with the liver). She was initially treated for bacterial infection even though her white bloods where normal.
24hr later her condition deteriorated and she was kept by the vet for observation for which they gave her pain relief, fluids and some other medication suspecting a viral episode. The past 2 days her temperature had slightly reduced to 39.2 from 40.2 degrees Celsius but all other symptoms are staying the same.

For reference she gets powdered enzymes on every meal, a prebiotic every day and b12 with intrinsic factor daily. Prior to this her EPI had been stable for 14 months.

Does anyone know if this sounds like something that could be related to EPI or EPI be a causing factor?

Thank you!
Laura

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Unwell GSD

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Jul 2022, 09:30

Hi Laura. Those symptoms do not sound Epi related to me. I am sorry your pup is having issues.
She hasn't by chance been prescribed Metronidazole again has she? Or gotten into any mushrooms or fungus of any kind in the yard? Lawn spray used?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

LauraF

Post by LauraF » 14 Jul 2022, 10:27

Hi Jill,

Thanks for the reply. I thought myself it wasn't anything EPI related but wasn't too sure if EPI could be a contributing factor.
No she hasn't been near any mushrooms, lawn sprays, or any kind of chemicals.
The vet has said today that there is inflammation somewhere causing these symptoms of the central nervous system but can't pinpoint the cause.
She hasn't been prescribed metronidazole, she has been prescribed marbofloxacin, Prednisone and Ursofalk today.

Laura

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Jul 2022, 10:39

Thanks for the information Laura. The Metro can cause neurological issues among other things.. I was thinking a side effect of a drug Rosie might be on. So the new drugs, make aware of side effects of them in case new symptoms pop up.
Possible meningitis?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Jul 2022, 18:22

Oh, Laura, I am so, so sorry for your Rosie, and for you, too.

Inflammation can be a bear, and the cause or indication of so many conditions. I'll be thinking of you, and hoping Rosie soon turns the corner from this nasty episode. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Jul 2022, 21:02

HI Laura,

this certainly doesn't sound like anything EPI related.... i am so sorry you are going thru this. I wish i had some reasonable suggestions what this might be but i honestly don't have a clue except for some possible toxin.....

SUre hope you find out what is going on soonand that there is an easy fix.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 15 Jul 2022, 12:11

she hasnt been given Metronadazole as an antibiotic has she
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

LauraF

Post by LauraF » 29 Jul 2022, 04:00

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, it was a hectic two weeks!
We had a lot of ups and downs with Rosie. It was concluded that Rosie had bacterial meningitis and started to pull through over the course of the last two weeks, every day we had seen improvement until about 6 days ago when her stool started going cow pat like. As well as this her appetite increased massively, it's as though a lot of her original EPI symptoms are now showing through again? Originally I put the increased appetite down to the steroids but now as she is weaned off them it continues to be the same.
In the meantime she has been switched to boiled chicken/rice to try help ease anything going on.
This morning I noticed fresh blood in her diarrhea which I will be bringing her to the vet for.
I'm struggling to understand what is going on with her at the moment as her enzyme, B12 and prebiotic doses have not changed recently.

Possible SIBO?

Thanks again for all the help!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 29 Jul 2022, 05:58

I wonder if this is SIBO/SID

my Kara shed her bowel lining when she had a bad attack of SIBO we gave her no meat of any sort

she had scrambled eggs and mashed potato for at least a week enzymed

Rice often doesnt agree with them, as does chicken

Can you get Tylan in Ireland ?
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

LauraF

Post by LauraF » 29 Jul 2022, 06:11

Hi Jean,

SIBO was my gut instinct but as she's never had it to date I was unsure.
Also not sure about getting tylan in Ireland, I've never needed it to date but I am with the vet today so I'll be sure to ask about getting it.