Diarrhea once again

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
henderson

Re: Diarrhea once again

Post by henderson » 31 Jul 2022, 11:18

Hi again

So, Zak has been having slippery elm for 3 days, we have seen some improvement. His poo has sometimes been hard and a few soft, but not runny. Fingers crossed this will carry on. Should we carry on using or only when he has a flare up...thanks everyone for your advice..
Elaine

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 Jul 2022, 13:59

I think I'd stick with it. When Tucker gets stabilized on a routine, I say don't mess with success. I HAVE learned with Tucker, that giving slippery elm at the opposite time from other supplements (besides enzymes), is helpful because slippery elm may interfere with absorption. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

henderson

Post by henderson » 02 Aug 2022, 03:03

Hi again

So last night Zak once again had diarrhea, and again this morning. the only other thing we havnt tried is different food. But we are at a total loss as to what to give him. He is 9 now and we did try him on food for senior dogs but that didnt really agree with him so the vet told us to go back to his usual food. He isnt himself and is just lying around looking sad and not nice to see..

once again, thanks

elaine

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 02 Aug 2022, 04:51

That’s so hard . My daughters non-epi dog also has night diarrhoea .Daytime perfect. She suspects that when her OH takes him out he scavenges dog/cat/sheep poo. .
What colour is the poo and diarrhoea? This is always important for looking for other conditions.
What time is his last meal? Some dogs need a fuller stomach for sleeping.
You can always give him scrambled egg and potato for a few meals to avoid any questions about the pea content of James Wellbeloved.
With my normal dogs, after years of trying expensive foods with my epi dog,I was happy to find that Butchers grain free tripe mix gave them solid poos all the time. Try a tin .
You can buy a probiotic with kaolin in it(a white clay) . It thickens poo but doesn’t tell you what’s wrong.
Not all dogs cope with dry food. Just my opinion. Tough on sick dogs .
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

henderson

Post by henderson » 02 Aug 2022, 08:44

Hi and thanks for the reply.

He has his last meal at around 5pm, but then he has a bone I fill with frozen yoghurt (fat free) around half 7. We did stop giving him this incase it was this that was upsetting his stomach but it made no difference...

We always tend to know when its coming as he breaks wind and it smells like rotten eggs, as for the poo itself, its more of a Yellow colour when runny, and smells terrible.

Ah, ok, maybe something for us to try to see if that hels, he does love egg but was unsure about potato for him......

Just a shame its been more or less under control till the past couple of month....

Elaine

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 02 Aug 2022, 12:16

You’ve just described classic sibo/Sid.
The Tylan isn’t working. My vet in theUK would prescribe two weeks of oxytetracycline , ie. double the normal length of time.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

henderson

Post by henderson » 03 Aug 2022, 13:09

Had phone call with vet... they are gonna give him a Probiotic, i pick it up tomorrow and Monday they gonna take bloods and check his B12 levels. She also mentioned because hes been on Oxycare for so long, to wean him off it...heres hoping.

Thanks again

Elaine

henderson

Post by henderson » 11 Aug 2022, 10:11

so Zak's blood test came back, B12 reading was 161.

She has suggested he has an injection weekly for the next 4 weeks...

hoping this will now help

Elaine

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 11 Aug 2022, 17:23

B12. at 121 is rock bottom. We usually get six weeks of injections, then monthly. Or use the online tablets + intrinsic factor. Chemeyes own brand are fine. I used them myself when the gp refused to give me an injection when mine was 203, a couple of points above the official injection supplement .in stead he said he could refer me to the Memory clinic! One of my symptoms had been brain fog. Tablets pulled it up quickly. I understand how it affects all aspects for dogs, including affecting the guts.
I hope the probiotics and injections work for you.