Diarrhea once again

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
henderson

Diarrhea once again

Post by henderson » 21 Jul 2022, 02:51

Hi all

Not had any problems with our Zak for a long time, until now..... over the past 3 weeks or so he has once again started to get diarrhea. It seems to be mainly in the morning and late at night. His poo during the day is soft, but not runny. We have tried not giving him his treats etc, he has always had Gravy Bones, but its not making any difference. Over lockdown we had problems getting Panzym so put him back on Lypex, but hes now back on Panzym. He also takes 2 x Oxycare tablets a day which he has done since being diagnosed a few year ago.

He is 9 now so has a it of Arthritis and we put him on Yumove, we took him off them but again, didnt make a difference.

what kinda treats should he be getting, at the moment we are just giving him his food which is James Wellbeloved, Lamb and Veg.

Cheers

Elaine

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Diarrhea once again

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 Jul 2022, 08:13

Hi Elaine. Sorry to hear this, I'm sure Jean will pipe in with products available in the UK.

Are you treating SID? https://epi4dogs.com/sidsibo-in-brief/ It kinda sounds like a flare up.

Or, could there be any parasites?

I hope this helps. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

henderson

Post by henderson » 21 Jul 2022, 10:21

Thanks, i should have said he had a B12 injection 10 days ago.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 Jul 2022, 18:46

B12 is an important part of the package.

SID is a condition that all EPI dogs have. I'll go ahead & give the run-down, in case you are not treating the SID.This could be the cause of the sudden diarrhea, and it's addressed in the link I sent you above.

Start with slippery elm. This may help. If it is going to help, you will notice a difference in her poo after two or three days. At this point, you slowly introduce a dood probiotic like Proviable, and hopefully the poos will soon be back to normal.

If the slippery elm is not working, then you will ask your vet for prescription Tylan. You will give Tylan for 45 days, and then slowly wean her off it. My dog has to take it daily, or else he gets gassy & his poo gets soft again.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

henderson

Post by henderson » 22 Jul 2022, 02:01

Thank you

Just been looking for Slippery Elm and will give that a go first...hoping this helps.

Elaine

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 22 Jul 2022, 09:58

Hi. I was just looking at the food and the amount of pea product in it could be an issue plus the fiber is at 4.5%.
If you can't get things settled down you might look at a grain free food with 4% fiber or less. Keep the peas, lentils and legumes at a minimum if possible.
Pam has some good advice. I think you might use a different antibiotic in the UK for SID.
Also as pups age sometimes the amount of enzyme needs to be upped by a tad.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Jul 2022, 17:31

Henderson, less is more with slippery elm, so give a bit less than the recommended dose. Jean lives in England, so I'm sure she'll pop in and give you some guidance.

henderson

Post by henderson » 26 Jul 2022, 08:52

One last question, should we still use Panzym on his food along with the Slippery Elam, thanks

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 26 Jul 2022, 09:21

Hi. If your pup has received a diagnosis of Epi, he needs enzymes on all food and treats for life. He needs it to digest his food.
Please continue SE along with enzymes.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 28 Jul 2022, 11:44

Hello from Yorkshire. I agree with two possible problems. Firstly Sibo/sid especially if you can here tummy rumbles and stinky wind. In the UK , it’s a fight to get Tylan as it’s only licensed for farm animals unless you sign a disclaimer, so I always was given 2 weeks of oxytetracyline. But I see you’ve been on oxycare x2 for a long time, and I would wonder what the side effects of continued oxytet would do. Tylan would be much safer.
Second point is the pea levels of 26% in the JW food. My epi dog couldn’t tolerate any peas in any form . Back in my days, I found good dried food with Eden and with Millie’s Wolfheart. They will both send sample sizes. It might also be useful to try a can of Butchers grain free tripe loaf, if chicken is ok.
Treats are always difficult. i gave up. Some people freeze cubes of enzymed food but I didn’t .
Lastly, as dogs age, they sometimes just need a more enzymes .

Tweaking is so difficult, as epi and other issues are different in every dog. If you make changes now , keep a diary of it, and the resulting poo .
I hope you get an improvement soon.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.