HELP!!!! new memeber

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
porellanatosi
Pet name: Dante
My name: Pedro Orellana

HELP!!!! new memeber

Post by porellanatosi » 25 Jul 2022, 17:34

Hello.
My name is Pedro from Ecuador, I'm really new here and I need some help.

First of all, I really want to thank the members of this forum, just reading the information that its available helped me a lot.
My dog's name is Dante, he is a border collie, just turned 1 year when the symptoms appeared (greasy stools, weight loss, eating his feces), instantly I started with some probiotics and hydratation, I took him as soon as I could to the vet, whom told me that it must be a gastric problem and everything should be ok!
A few days passed by and no improvement in stool, still greasy, with the material ingested, and he continued to lose weight so I started to read about possible diagnoses for bad absorption and started to appear to me a bad absorption problem. Then appeared epi4dogs and I knew it right away.
As I read everything I was so confident that this was the diagnosis, then I took back date to the Vet, whom appeared not to know much about EPI.

They run all the lab test and an ultrasound (I'm going to load all the lab exams)
DANTE-ORELLANA-2022-07-21-1202.pdf
(286.22 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
DANTE-ORELLANA-2022-07-21-1149.pdf
(305.01 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
DANTE ORELLANA .pdf
(216.78 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Amylase 563 ref: 500-1500
Lipase : 249 ref: 200-1800
Glucose: 66
Cholesterol 69
Red bloood cells: 6.95
WBC: 11.49 ref: 5-16
Vit b12: 2744.19
folic ac: 39.37

Idexx SNAP cPL: negative

No TLI because it is not available

ultrasound: no evidence of changes on pancreas
Ecografía abdominal Orellana Dante_compressed.pdf
(457.94 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
So Here I am, it took us 2-3 weeks to diagnose EPI on Dante

We started with some enzyme with him, since I don't have powdered enzymes, we initiated with Enzybiotic (Amylasae 10.000 Unidades/USP, -Proteasa 10.000 Unidades/USP- Lipase 2.500 Unidades/USP) and Royal Canin Hypoalergenic 150% with little improvement on the first days so I decided to start CREON 5 min prior his meal, after few days I see a improvement on the stool! I would say we went from poop score 6 to 3.
I already bought Diane Enzyme, just waiting to be delivered

Dante right now is a lot more active, playful but still under weight (38 lbs its been 5 days since we started the treatment)

Still have some Questions:

- Should I start immediately Tylan? Even if there is improvement in stool?

- On lab test there is no evidence of Vit B deficiency, should I give him shots?
- Any suggestion

Thanks a lot for help

Pedro

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: HELP!!!! new memeber

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 25 Jul 2022, 18:54

Hi Pedro, and welcome to you and Dante!

You are definitely on the right track.

A couple of things---YES to B12. Can you order Wonderlabs B12 with Intrinsic Factor? My dog's B12 was high enough, but I still supplement. EPI dogs need higher levels than other dogs.

Why don't you go ahead & order some slippery elm? You can give it preventively, and if Dante doesn't start having diarrhea, you may not need Tylan.

Is your food grain free, with not much pea and white potato protein, and 4% or less fiber? It should be.

AND, are you feeding 150% the amount you would feed him if he weighed what he should, divided into 3 or 4 meals per day?

Glad you're here!---Pam & Tucker in Florida
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Jul 2022, 21:07

Hi Pedro and welcome to our EPI Forum.

So glad to hear that our website helped you and your vet diagnose your dog!.

I looked over the lab results that you posted (thank you!) and normally i would say yes, go ahead an supplement an EPI dog with B12 simply because over 80% of all dogs with EPI need B12 supplementation...... HOWEVER..... Dante has a wonderful high level of B12 at "2744.19" and is one of the lucky ones as he does not need B12 supplementation at this time... :)
But do know that sooner or later, he eventually will need B12.... but right now he is good.

Regarding the Tylan...if you want, get some just to have on hand.....because sooner or later Dante most likely will have a set-back since they ALL have SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) ... BUT......but no sense to give him an antibiotic unless he needs it and you always want to try alternatives first before administering an antibiotic.

If his stools go soft / loose a few weeks or month after he starts the enzymes and does really well, don't be too concerned, this happens a lot.... it is SID getting a little out of control.

What is advised when SID first becomes out of control is to try prebiotics,
if that doesn't work, then talk to your vet about trying a good pre+probiotic.
after a week if you do not see any improvements with a pre+probiotic... Then start giving the Tylan. Tylan is given twice a day (with food) for 45 days. The dose is based on weight. Use this as a guide: https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

i hope this helps!

Looking forward to hearing Dante doing well!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 26 Jul 2022, 00:49

It took awhile to put weight on Montgomery, and believe me, when you're looking at your pet every day, you almost don't see the weight gain beginning. Most veterinarians are happy to let clients use their scales.
I love border collies, they're so sweet.
Glad you found us!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

porellanatosi

Post by porellanatosi » 14 Aug 2022, 20:33

Hello

First of all, I would like to thank everyone here.
You guys have been an amazing support.

Dante has already started treatment. We bought Diane enzyme; they work amazing on him.

Weight gained, he is feeling great and so far no needs for Tylan and b12 shots, eventually we will start!
Poop chart for him right now is 2 -3, Mostly 2 :D

Thanks !

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Aug 2022, 22:00

Pedro, thanks for the wonderful update on Dante. So glad things are coming together.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 15 Aug 2022, 14:08

Hi Pedro, I just want to add my welcome and congratulations on the great update. It sounds like Dante is responding very well to treatment. Keep up the good work. We love to hear that things are going well.

Barb

TrixEPIMama
State: Texas
Pet name: Trixie

Post by TrixEPIMama » 15 Aug 2022, 22:24

Pedro -- I love it (I think we all love it) when people return to update us on their dog's progress. That goes double when the progress is so fast and good. Welcome and congratulations on the good work so far!
Trixie is an Australian cattle dog or mix, likely born in the Fall of 2020. Picked up as a stray, she was already suffering undiagnosed EPI when we adopted her. Test later showed TLI <1 and cobalamin 189.

Her (non-standard) treatment is 1900 mcg of pure freeze-dried pork pancreas from Allergy Research Group per day. Also 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder and 1/2 (previously one) capsule a day of WonderLabs TrinFac-B, all mixed into her food and served immediately, without the usual 20-minute wait.

We feed Canidae Angus Beef and Barley, which may not yet be the perfect food, but she's doing well and has "happy" normal poops.

porellanatosi

Post by porellanatosi » 16 Aug 2022, 09:48

Thanks to all ! i will keep you guys upodated
Attachments
Captura de Pantalla 2022-08-16 a la(s) 08.46.43.png
Captura de Pantalla 2022-08-16 a la(s) 08.46.43.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 697 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Aug 2022, 10:07

What a great picture!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.