Jasper no longer stable

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
tlwright21
State: Texas
Pet name: Jasper
My name: tony

Jasper no longer stable

Post by tlwright21 » 16 Aug 2022, 19:12

Jasper has been stable for over a year but recently in the past 2 months started having loose and soft stools. Prior to about 60 days ago they were firm. He is currently receiving 1 tsp per cup of Enzymes by Diane, 1 capsule per cup of food of B12 with intrinsic factor from Wonderlabs and eats 2+ cups of Hills Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food. He has been on this regimen for over 1 year with only the past couple of months being a problem.
Nothing has changed except I've noticed some variation in the lipase % in the enzymes and have been in communication with Diane. They said it is unusual for a dog to lose stability caused by variations in lipase %. And Hill's Science Diet did some kind of change in the kibble size of the food. It has gotten bigger.
I started giving him Tylan again 2 days ago. Im going to the vet on Friday for annual check up. Going to have blood test done to ck B12 levels.

Any idea why he would loose stability and what should I do to get him stable again?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Jasper no longer stable

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Aug 2022, 19:53

if Hills changed the food formula... that could be it.... it happens ... it is almost like a build up something that is no longer working and then you have a mess.
First thing you will want to do while still on the same food is increase the enzymes to compensate for whatever formula change happened that no longer agrees with him. Try giving 1/4 of a tsp more of enzymes per cup and see if over a few days if that fixes things.

You are already doing the Tylan..... so you are covered there.

I do have a question though.... i am a little confused...... " 1 capsule per cup of food of B12 with intrinsic factor from Wonderlabs and eats 2+ cups of Hills Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food. THis sounds like a lot of B12......are you giving 2 B12 capsules with every meal???? If so... is there a reason why are you giving so much ???
How much does Jasper weigh?

the dosing for B12 is the same for these WOnderlab pills as they are for the B12 injectable serum:
B12 Dosing.jpg
B12 Dosing.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 676 times
[/url]
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 17 Aug 2022, 10:41

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Can you clarify the amount of B12 you are giving.

Barb

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 17 Aug 2022, 10:56

He weighs 50-53 #. he may be a little below 50 now though. looks like he has lost some weight this summer.
Im giving him 2 B12 pills each day. 1 in the morning with 1 cup of food and 1 in the evening with 1 cup of food. is this too much?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Aug 2022, 11:17

i'd dial the B12 capsules back down to 1 a day at his weight.

thanks for answering our questions about this. ;)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 17 Aug 2022, 16:56

ok thank you Will still have his B12 checked this week. He hasn't been tested since he was diagnosed in Apr 2021

tlwright21

Post by tlwright21 » 17 Aug 2022, 19:38

one more thing. how long should I give the Tylan? my vet prescribed 1/4 tsp 2x per day. I saw a chart on this website that says a 50# dog should be getting 1/8 tsp 2x per day. Is that correct?

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Aug 2022, 21:08

Tony, he needs to be off the B12 capsules for a couple of weeks ( I think), before you have his B12 tested. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.