Bad Breath

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Bad Breath

Post by PipersMom » 27 Aug 2023, 13:16

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know that about canned or possible homemade food.

I will try that as Piper's stool could be firmer
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 29 Aug 2023, 14:54

I lowered the enzymes and Piper's stool became very loose so we went back to the 1:1 ratio (1 cup food. 1 tsp enzymes, 3/4 cups of food, 3/4 tsp enzymes) it is a little better but should know more tomorrow.

We have been feeding homemade for a year now and before that it was Farmers Dog so I guess she is used to this amount of enzymes.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 01 Sep 2023, 17:35

So it has been over a week that I am feeding three meals (2 meals and a snack which is all her food).

I can not get her stool firm. I tried lowering the enzymes per cup of homemade food and the stool got mushy. Back to the 1:1 ratio and was getting better.

Was putting pysullium and slippery elm with each bowl. But took our of the snack as maybe you much.

Thinking I might have to raise enzymes? I am at a loss. Not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?

EPI Diagnoised

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Sep 2023, 19:16

Does Piper's condition mean that she can't be treated for SID, or is one of her meds meant for that? Tuck's poops go a little south when he's starting to flare, and out comes the Tylan. Since he got sick & the vet wants him on Fresh Pet, beef recipe, his poops are firmer than ever. He's also taking a Chinese herb now, which might be contributing. But again, I'm playing catch-up here with Piper's story, so I may be way off base.
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 01 Sep 2023, 19:20

Let me try to help. Looking at your signature. Assuming it's up to date. I need to ask why is both proin and Incurin is being given? That seems like a bit too much. Regardless, gabapentin and proin can both cause diarrhea. Maybe they are having a reaction to that?
Otherwise, maybe the SIDs is getting out of control and tylosin will help? You can also try giving more B12? Those are the only things I can think of.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Sep 2023, 20:10

Hey Jeremy, it is common to use Proin and Incurin simultaneously. In lieu of raising Kiyas Proin dose we used low dose of both and the leaking stopped.

Pipersmom: You could try raising the enzyme a tad but too much produces sloppy poops like too little enzyme.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Eddiespaghetti
State: California
Pet name: Eddie
My name: Jeremy

Post by Eddiespaghetti » 01 Sep 2023, 22:54

I do apologize, I didn't know both were commonly giving. Most of my dogs have been male, so I have had very little experience with Incurin. (My vet told me Incurin is for female dogs)

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 01 Sep 2023, 23:28

No apology needed! Yes Incurin is for female dogs. Uses a short acting estrogen(estriol).
None of my males have ever suffered urine leakage.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Sep 2023, 14:33

Hi Shawn,

Since the poos are not optimal .....Go ahead and try increasing the enzymes by just a pinch .....maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon per meal since you are feeding 1+1/2 cups of food.... even though wet food........ do this for 2 or 3 days and see if you notice an improvement. If you notice improvement just not enough.... then try giving 1/4 tsp extra enzymes with each meal.

the above doesn't work........ THEN try adding back either the slippery elm or the psyllium..... these both are fibers.... and the right kind for dysbiosis (SID) you just don't want to overdo it.... so i would not give both together, i would just give one. Slippery Elm is less harsh.... i would try giving with every meal (and reduced amount with the snack) if the above added enzymes don't help as much as expected.............

The reason why i am suggesting this is because often times, when the diet is not optimal... you can compensate by giving a pinch more enzymes.

However... looking back at Piper's diet in the past, she was getting more fiber (the right kind) to help keep SID at bay in an EPI dog ..... once you removed everything, she appears to be getting great food, but may need that pinch of the right fiber to help keep SID in check.

Giving fiber to an EPI dog is a minefield. You often need to avoid grains, cause too much or the wrong kind of fiber can mess with the efficacy of the enzymes.
BUT.... the right kind of fiber is what helps keep SID in check and all dogs with EPI have SID. BUT then you have to be careful to not give too much of the right kind of fiber (w/SCFAs) as that in turn will prompt loose stools, and yet on the flip side not enough will also prompt loose stools... THis concept is enough to make anyone's head spin...............................

And this is why years ago (before all the pre and probiotics and/or slippery elm).....they recommended grain free food to an EPI dog and also recommended a tsp of canned pumpkin (for the right amount and right type) of fiber. kind of take away fiber but then add back the right kind/amount of fiber.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 07 Sep 2023, 18:27

I am sorry for not replying earlier. For some reason notifications stopped working and I have not received them which made me come and look. (I unsubbed from thread ad resubbed, hopefully that works)

I am going to try to answer in order...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have Piper on Tylan now. She gets 1/8tsp twice a day. for the last week and still on.

Proin and Incurin are for her USMI. These are needed or she will leak all over. She had been doing fine on them with no poop problems. As Jill mentioned both can be used in low doses without issue.

Yes I tried to lower the enzymes and that did not work. I will try to up them as suggested (for 1.5 cups I give 1.5 tsp enzymes. I will add 1/8 tsp), can't get any worse.
the above doesn't work........ THEN try adding back either the slippery elm or the psyllium..... these both are fibers.... and the right kind for dysbiosis (SID) you just don't want to overdo it.... so i would not give both together, i would just give one. Slippery Elm is less harsh.... i would try giving with every meal (and reduced amount with the snack) if the above added enzymes don't help as much as expected.............
Wow I had no clue. The internist has had me giving her BOTH SE and Psyllium at the same time in the same meal - .5 tsp of each. I will stop Psyllium.

Piper diet per day is the following now:

340g 90% ground beef drained
35g 85% ground beef drained
240g Sweet Potatoes mashed
20g 1% cottage cheese

Plus all her supps and vitamins and minerals

ALSO we have been feeding 3x a day now instead of 2. AM 1-1/4c food, Noon 3/4 c food, PM, 1 cup food

EPI Diagnoised