Bad Breath

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Bad Breath

Post by PipersMom » 09 Sep 2023, 18:03

I know they say feeding more meals a day helps digestion but I am wondering if that is causing an issue. Since I started this her stool has not been good.

SHe has been on tylan for two weeks and it is not getting better.

Her gas the past three days is horrible too.

I so want her better and am getting nervous. While her stool has been soft, this morning I thought it was getting better then this afternoon diarrhea.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Sep 2023, 08:49

Could she be lactose intolerant and the cottage cheese isn't setting right?

What was the result of increasing enzymes by a tad?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 10 Sep 2023, 16:44

We gradually added the cottage cheese and thing were ok. Too much did not agree with her so we gave lower amount, Then we started feeding 3x a day and it all went to hell. Trying to get enzymes right and.

So Friday her stool was so so with the increased enzymes. Sat AM I thought it was getting better and in the evening she had diarrhea. Today Sunday she went once this afternoon and it was very soft but not diarrhea.

Also only at night she gets bad gas and belly gurgles. She has been on tylan for almost 2 weeks now too.

I think I will remove the cottage cheese for tomorrow and see how she does. I wonder if her two meals are too close together? She eats at 5am, 10:30am and last meal is at 230p. She never looks for food after that and goes to bed for the night around 7p. Is it possible there is not enough time between meals? Should I go back to twice a day?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 11 Sep 2023, 16:53

So today I decided to remove cottage cheese completely from her meal. I also fed her last meal an hour later.

She did have a stool and it was a tad better than yesterday. She shuts has some gas but it fits not seen as bad but the night is still early.

I will see what the rest of the night brings and again tomorrow. So maybe she is lactose intolerant? Or that extra hour before feeding worked. Either way I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

EPI Diagnoised

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Sep 2023, 19:43

Hi Shawn, I would leave the cottage cheese out at least 2 days. Yes, we try to change only one thing at a time so we rule it in or out. But thats ok.
Mine are not Epi but they eat their daily allotment at 5am,12pm,5pm and 8pm. They only get a little portion at 12pm and 8.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 12 Sep 2023, 09:52

jilbert57 wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 19:43 Hi Shawn, I would leave the cottage cheese out at least 2 days. Yes, we try to change only one thing at a time so we rule it in or out. But thats ok.
Mine are not Epi but they eat their daily allotment at 5am,12pm,5pm and 8pm. They only get a little portion at 12pm and 8.

Jill
Jill,

We are leaving out the cottage cheese. Left out yesterday and she did have the bad smelly burps and did not gas as much but had belly gurgles. These only happen after her last meal. I tried the mid day meal smaller but hard to get the enzymes correct. So three equal meals of a tad over 1 cup each with 1tsp enzymes. (Keeping three meals for now to check the cottage cheese)

This morning her stool was a tad better. I will fed her at 5am. Will feed again at 10:30am and then at 3:30pm. That is at least 5 hours between. So any gas issues would happen after the 3:30 meal if they happen at all. I will give it another day to see before moving to two meals again.

How do you portion your meal and how much enzymes? I am just trying to gauge the ratios.

Thank you again...

EPI Diagnoised

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Sep 2023, 17:53

Hi Shawn, I answered your post this morning only to see it got lost in the wash.

My 2 dogs are 18lb jack russells and are NOT Epi.
They eat a cup a day- 1/3 c am, 1/3 c pm and 1/6 c at noon and 8pm.

If you are using a little more food per meal then 1c I would add a tad enzyme.

Jill

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Sep 2023, 18:36

it sounds more like it was the cottage cheese that didn't agree.

This doesn't mean that she is definitely lactose intolerant.... but i would stay away from cottage cheese- -at least for now...... OR.... it can also be that she can only have a very little bit of the cottage cheese.

they say that meals should be at least 4 hr apart.... so i am guessing it was the closeness of the meals... but then again, i have learned... these dogs don't always follow the "rules".... so maybe.

If you are giving a little over 1 cup of food (i am guessing the little extra over 1 cup might be 1/8???).... if so....try giving 1 tsp +1/8 tsp of enzymes
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 16 Sep 2023, 05:40

Some good news

After removing the cottage cheese and keeping the three meals at 1 cup each her stool stabled out and was good. That lasted 4 days. This morning her stool was super soft and mushy although I was able to pick up without a mess.

She did eat a few blades of grass and next week her anal sacs are due to be expressed so that might be why. I am waiting to see what later or tomorrow brings.

Since we have to get at least 6 pounds on Piper the nutritionist is considering trying Rice Noodles or pasta. But waiting to hear Monday what is next.

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 01 Nov 2023, 18:06

Back with an update.

So after trying many things we have her diet down to 90% and 85% ground beef and sweet potato. All the supplements and vitamins and fish oil, proviable-forte and her other meds. She gets slippery elm with each meal.

However something is still affecting her gut as she has bad gas. She is on Tylan for three weeks now again. Everything we take her off the belly and gas comes back.

Is it possible that some dogs stay on tylan? If so what did she did he long.

I wish there were a vet in our area that has EPI experience or knowledge but I have called and so far no one

EPI Diagnoised