Bad Breath

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Bad Breath

Post by PipersMom » 13 Oct 2022, 04:43

So I am adding an extra 1/8 tsp of enzymes to Pipers meals each day. When you does have a stool it looks good but when you pick it up it is soft and goes to mush in the bag. Plus has a weird rubbery feel.. So I cut the Konsyl (psyllium powder) in half as well. No difference.

I am going to pick up the Dr. Mercola Complete Probiotics Dog & Cat Supplement you suggested a few posts up and try that instead of the Proviable and see if that helps. I am guessing by the directions that I will mix 2 scoops in Pipers morning meal each day. She is 48 lbs.

Should she go back on the Tylan again?

I am sorry for all the questions.... but so appreciate all the help.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Oct 2022, 12:26

with the Mercola Complete probiotics.... what i did the first day (so as not to overwhelm the system with something totally new and possibly even cause loose stools ... until the body/system gets acclimated to the new probiotic....) is that i gave only 1/2 scoop the 1st day- -but i broke it down into 1/4 tsp breakfast and 1/4 tsp dinner. 2nd day i increased it to 1/2 scoop breakfast and 1/2 scoop dinner. (this is when i already saw a slight improvement in poo.) By the 3rd day i gave the "recommended maintenance dose" ... which for us (at that time ) was 2 scoops daily/for a 49lb dog... which i did 1 scoop with breakfast and 1 scoop for dinner.

I used this for a few months and then whenever my dog's poo had a "set-back" i went ahead and started the full "recommended therapeutic dose" ... which is a higher dose....and i only had to do this for a short while... (approx a few weeks)...

I personally do NOT like giving this all at once but prefer to break it up and give with multiple meals.

ALSO..........going on Piper's poo description.....i would not start the Tylan just yet.... Only use when all else fails..... but instead give a change in probiotics a cahnce and see if this works.

Of course the great thing about TYlan... is that it IS one of the few antibiotics that you can give with probiotics.... but if you can, hold off on the TYlan an see if these probiotics maybe do the trick :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 13 Oct 2022, 12:31

Perfect. I will follow your directions above. I think it will be here tomorrow so I can start on Saturday! Thanks again
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 13 Oct 2022, 12:52

Please let me know... i am very interested to hear if the Mercola Complete probiotics will work for Piper too..... cause this is the hard part.... not knowing which probiotic is best suited to which dog................

i think i may have already mentioned that i went thru 4 different probiotic products until i found one that worked..
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 13 Oct 2022, 13:23

Olesia711 wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 12:52 Please let me know... i am very interested to hear if the Mercola Complete probiotics will work for Piper too..... cause this is the hard part.... not knowing which probiotic is best suited to which dog................

i think i may have already mentioned that i went thru 4 different probiotic products until i found one that worked..

I do remember you mentioning that. Here is hoping this one does the trick.

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 16 Oct 2022, 18:38

Today was day twp in giving her the new probiotics. She had the one Odessa recommended (mercola). 1/2 scoop with each meal. OMG she has terrible gas, stinky at that. Is this supposed to happen? Will it get better? Does this mean it is not for her? She never gets stinky gas.

If it is ok then fine but will it get better? Also I am waiting for her to have a bowel to see how it is. I THINK this mornings was better but my husband took her out so I can not be completely sure. I will report back.

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Oct 2022, 20:25

the gas is most likely SID, not the probiotics.... but give it 2 more days and PLEASE let me know if the Mercola Probiotics helped or not.............

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 17 Oct 2022, 14:47

Olesia711 wrote: 16 Oct 2022, 20:25 the gas is most likely SID, not the probiotics.... but give it 2 more days and PLEASE let me know if the Mercola Probiotics helped or not.............
The gas has stopped however I am waiting for her to have a bowel. It has been over 24 hours and I expect once it gets dark that she will finally go. I get so stressed when she does not go. I know she has to looking at her back end while walking but she is one stubborn dog

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 17 Oct 2022, 21:57

She finally had a bowel movement and it started off for and got mushy at the end. It was a lot to but then again it was 36 hours since her last one. I was able to pick it up without issue or smoothing in grass.

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Oct 2022, 12:36

YEAH!!!!! !!!!!!!!! this is good news..... the strt of things (hopefully) getting better. Please continue with the probiotic and keep us posted!