Bad Breath

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Bad Breath

Post by PipersMom » 19 May 2023, 05:17

Increased enzyme update ...

I have increased Piper's enzymes to 1-1/4tsp and what a difference a few days make. Her stool is back to where it used to be 10 months ago.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

The reason I did not go to 1-1/2 tsp is because I will be cutting the rice out of her meal as I will be making new food this weekend and since her food will be less by a lttle (not sure how much yet) I did not want to fiddle too much with the amounts given until I get the new recipe down. But the poo is half the battle,

Now to the food.... I need to figure out what to replace the rice with. I think I will use some white potatoes but not a full half cup. If I try cottage cheese any suggestion on the fat percentage and how much?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 May 2023, 09:19

Hi Shawn, so glad to hear the poop is getting better!
When I used Cottage cheese with Mickey I used low fat low sodium content. I used it only occasionally, not as a steady diet. It doesn't have alot of lactose so some can use it without gut issues. The regular does have a fair amount of sodium so take that into account .
If it was me I would use the low fat low sodium but Mickey had other health issues to account for.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 19 May 2023, 09:30

jilbert57 wrote: 19 May 2023, 09:19 Hi Shawn, so glad to hear the poop is getting better!
When I used Cottage cheese with Mickey I used low fat low sodium content. I used it only occasionally, not as a steady diet. It doesn't have alot of lactose so some can use it without gut issues. The regular does have a fair amount of sodium so take that into account .
If it was me I would use the low fat low sodium but Mickey had other health issues to account for.

Jill
Thank you for this info. Maybe I will try a little here and there but not as a steady. Piper also has other issues besides EPI. I am thinking just adding 1/4 cup of mashed white in place of the 1/2 cup rice. This may reduce the amount of food a little but if it helps her gut issues great. I can figure an extra item or more of something else later. We also need to put 5 pounds back on her as well. Maybe now that her poop is back on track she will gain some weight.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 19 May 2023, 09:36

I have noticed that now some brands come with probiotics included. Were you going to include it as a protein mainstay or as a special treat? All of my dogs have gone ape over hard boiled eggs. I rap them on the sink to peel and here they come!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 19 May 2023, 09:42

jilbert57 wrote: 19 May 2023, 09:36 I have noticed that now some brands come with probiotics included. Were you going to include it as a protein mainstay or as a special treat? All of my dogs have gone ape over hard boiled eggs. I rap them on the sink to peel and here they come!

Jill
Piper LOVES eggs, however she had horrible gas. She still has gas so it may not have been the eggs. I think we need to do another trial once we get her gastro issues resolved. She is also allergic to chicken. This is another one of those iffy situations. According to the vet, a dog can be allergic to chicken, poultry etc and not eggs so I do not really know what do do. But she does LOVE eggs. We were scrambling them, no oil or butter needed or used.

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 20 May 2023, 07:18

Today I am making a weeks of food taking the rice out. I have the white potatoes to use in place of the rice. I am hoping this helps Piper's belly issues.

So her recipe for a day will now consist of the following: (will result in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup less of food per meal) I need to feed her more. Do I give more beef? Add in some other ingredient?

12oz 90% cooked ground beef
3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup mashed white potatoes
1oz pumpkin puree
1 tsp canola oil
5 grams Anneamet Enhance

However may I ask you thoughts on adding blueberries to her meal? Does anyone add fruit to their dogs meal? If so how do you incorporate it?

Thank you again!

EPI Diagnoised

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 20 May 2023, 09:18

Blueberries are a great addition to their diet. Very high in antioxidants. I buy the 3lb package of frozen organic blueberried from Costco for 8.00 and feed them frozen. I just add to their Honest Kitchen. I have 2 jack russells and they get 6 or so at dinner. Probably 1/8 cup.

Jill

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 20 May 2023, 12:58

jilbert57 wrote: 20 May 2023, 09:18 Blueberries are a great addition to their diet. Very high in antioxidants. I buy the 3lb package of frozen organic blueberried from Costco for 8.00 and feed them frozen. I just add to their Honest Kitchen. I have 2 jack russells and they get 6 or so at dinner. Probably 1/8 cup.

Jill
Thank you, Piper loves blueberries. I usually put a cut up one in a small ice cube tray with water and she eats them. That is how I get some water in her since she is not a water drinker. I love the idea of adding a few blueberries in her meals.

Thank you

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 21 May 2023, 19:37

PipersMom wrote: 20 May 2023, 07:18 So her recipe for a day will now consist of the following: (will result in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup less of food per meal) I need to feed her more. Do I give more beef? Add in some other ingredient?

12oz 90% pan cooked ground beef
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1/4 cup mashed white potatoes (added in place of 1/2 cup white rice)
2 Tbl pumpkin puree
2 tsp canola oil
1ml nordic naturals omega 3 pet liquid
5 frozen blueberries, defrosted and smashed (added to meal instead of giving in ice cube)
1 Tbl cooked old fashioned oats (because my vet for some reason likes to have a grain of some sort)
5 grams annemaet enhance

Thank you again!
So we started the new diet and I know I need to give it a few days to see if it agrees or changes stool. So far it has softened her stool so I am giving it a couple more days.

EPI Diagnoised

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 26 May 2023, 18:31

Update...

Stool - Since upping the enzymes I am happy to report that Piper's stool has been better. Actually measuring the amount of food has helped immensely. Being told 1tsp per meal is not always the answer ans I have found to be the answer from you all here. I thank you and so does our vet.

Belly - We have removed the rice completely from Piper's diet and replaced it with mashed white potatoes. Her loud belly grumbles mostly went away. She still has some verps or lip licking and head thrusts (aka regurg??).

Piper is eating grass and seems to want more food but I have reached out to Jody, thank you Michaela and her beloved Nikki. Hopefully we will be able to figure out a balaned recipe and the proper minerals and vitamins to be given.

I will keep you updated.

EPI Diagnoised