Bad Breath

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Bad Breath

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Feb 2023, 14:01

i think the above plan is a good start..... first try the reduce rice to 1/4 cup cooked brown rice... do this for 3 days, watch the poos..... if you are not pleased..... THEN... try the following

Swap out the rice completely and replace it with white mashed potatoes..... and again, give it at least 3 days to see if this helps or hinders....

i would leave the pumpkin as is. for now.... besides you ONLY want to adjust 1 thing at a time

Regarding white potatoes..... they just came out with white potatoes do NOT cause inflammation nor does it raise blood sugar for diabetes...f. they are now saying that they are actually good for you ..... kind of figured this all along with our dogs and their "out-put" when given white mashed potato......

ANyway.... here are the stats of cooked brown rice vs. cooked mashed white potato:

There are 215 calories in 1 cup of cooked Brown Rice.
Calorie breakdown: 7% fat, 83% carbs, 9% protein.
Calories 215
Fat 1.74g
Carbs 44.42g
Protein 4.99g

There are 210 calories in 1 cup of Mashed Potato.
Calorie breakdown: 31% fat, 62% carbs, 7% protein.
Calories 210
Fat 7.43g
Carbs 33.01g
Protein 3.78g
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Post by PipersMom » 03 Feb 2023, 14:52

Olesia711 , We have introduced scrambled eggs and she did well with them. No change. I will reduce the brown rice. If I need to add the white mashed potatoes, do I do that in addition to the sweet potatoes already in the meal?

Thank you for all this, it really does help.

Olesia711 wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 14:01 i think the above plan is a good start..... first try the reduce rice to 1/4 cup cooked brown rice... do this for 3 days, watch the poos..... if you are not pleased..... THEN... try the following

Swap out the rice completely and replace it with white mashed potatoes..... and again, give it at least 3 days to see if this helps or hinders....

i would leave the pumpkin as is. for now.... besides you ONLY want to adjust 1 thing at a time

Regarding white potatoes..... they just came out with white potatoes do NOT cause inflammation nor does it raise blood sugar for diabetes...f. they are now saying that they are actually good for you ..... kind of figured this all along with our dogs and their "out-put" when given white mashed potato......

ANyway.... here are the stats of cooked brown rice vs. cooked mashed white potato:

There are 215 calories in 1 cup of cooked Brown Rice.
Calorie breakdown: 7% fat, 83% carbs, 9% protein.
Calories 215
Fat 1.74g
Carbs 44.42g
Protein 4.99g

There are 210 calories in 1 cup of Mashed Potato.
Calorie breakdown: 31% fat, 62% carbs, 7% protein.
Calories 210
Fat 7.43g
Carbs 33.01g
Protein 3.78g
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Feb 2023, 15:31

Yes...if you need to eliminate the brown rice then use white mashed potatoes in place of the brown rice.... and yes... in addition to the sweet potato already in the meal.

As you know.....when trying a new diet.. it is all one-step-at-a-time "trial and error" ... take a lto of time but we often see AMAZING results one we happen upon the correct balance of food.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 11 Feb 2023, 04:05

Hello,

I had to wait to make some food and we just lowered the rice to 1/4cup. I will report back in a few days on how the output is.

Of course the nutritionist is not very helpful on giving me amounts of BalanceIt Canine because he only likes Annamaet Enhance. So my new conundrum is do I put the recipe in balanceit and go with their figure or stay with the below? Thoughts? And as a side I am onlhy giving 1-1/4 scoops (5grams) with a days of food.

https://www.chewy.com/annamaet-enhance-raw-home-cook-meal/dp/360090?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 04-03-57 ANNAMAET Enhance Raw & Home Cook Meal Dog Vitamin & Mineral Supplement 8.5-oz - Chewy.com.png
Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 04-03-57 ANNAMAET Enhance Raw & Home Cook Meal Dog Vitamin & Mineral Supplement 8.5-oz - Chewy.com.png (251.99 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Feb 2023, 09:14

Good morning Shawn. I have only used Balance-It. I have not ever used Annamet products but there is talk of the brand on here. Is there a big cost difference between the two?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 11 Feb 2023, 09:54

jilbert57 wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 09:14 Good morning Shawn. I have only used Balance-It. I have not ever used Annamet products but there is talk of the brand on here. Is there a big cost difference between the two?

Jill
1ld 6oz (600g) jar Balance it $73.99 whereas 8.5oz Annamaent Enhance is $62.17

EPI Diagnoised

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Feb 2023, 10:03

Thanks,

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Feb 2023, 12:18

My thought is to go ahead pick one and "try" it..... I know Balance it is good..... but if it was me, i would try the Annamaet first simply because,, my understanding is that everytime you make a food change, you should adjust Balance it... since you are in the "trial" mode with Diet..... i think i would try the Annamaet first......

Of course this is just my opinion.... you need to do what you think is best at this time for your dog.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 11 Feb 2023, 13:22

Olesia711 wrote: 11 Feb 2023, 12:18 My thought is to go ahead pick one and "try" it..... I know Balance it is good..... but if it was me, i would try the Annamaet first simply because,, my understanding is that everytime you make a food change, you should adjust Balance it... since you are in the "trial" mode with Diet..... i think i would try the Annamaet first......

Of course this is just my opinion.... you need to do what you think is best at this time for your dog.
I have been using the Annamaet so I will stick with it then. Thank you!

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Feb 2023, 13:32

let us know how it goes :)

SOmetimes when trying to figure out something...the best any of us can do is just "try" things with these dogs