Diabetic for over a year now has EPI (and more)

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
KarenC
State: Florida
Pet name: Luke
My name: Karen

Re: Diabetic for over a year now has EPI (and more)

Post by KarenC » 09 Jan 2023, 06:08

So we had the acth and glucose curve done. The amount of vetoryl barely made a dent in his cortisol levels so we are raising the dose this week and then back to test in 2 weeks again.

His glucose was also high which was disappointing after his last good curve.

Our vet seems happy with his EPI and thinks that is being controlled well. He gained 3 pounds.

I have been adding just a pinch more enzymes to his food just in case he had needed it. I have since adjusted his calorie intake as well and lessened one of the 2 dry kibbles we feed. I feed a mix of Turkey and butternut squash with lamb and sweet potato but I think he was getting far too many calories. It looks like barely any food but from the Diabetes group it seems calories count more than the amount (as in cups measured) so here is hoping I used the food calculator right. I know he needed the extra when diagnosed with EPI but not so much anymore. Will monitor weight and see what happens in 2 weeks!

Not sure what else to try after that....
Luke, Basenji/Shepard/Spaniel/Collie mix. DX-Diabetes 5/2021, DX-EPI & Cushings 9/2022, DX-Hypothyroid 10/22