How do I fight this battle for my dog?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: How do I fight this battle for my dog?

Post by Montgomery » 19 Nov 2022, 14:18

The naturopath did it the first time and we bought our red light unit from https://equinelighttherapy.com/
We would use it with Montgomery twice a day, morning and night, for fifteen minutes each time. We're doing this with Mary as well.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2022, 15:34

good to know... i checked out that home use light therapy.....but opted for a hand held cold laser and i also use a PEMF mat... slow going but working :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 19 Nov 2022, 22:49

Olesia711 wrote: 19 Nov 2022, 15:34 good to know... i checked out that home use light therapy.....but opted for a hand held cold laser and i also use a PEMF mat... slow going but working :)
What hand held device? Does it work well?

Is PEMF related to magnet therapy? I swear Chance is allergic to magnets!! A person I knew was just getting started with magnet therapy. She bought the bed, mats and everything, ultimately to start a business. She was offering me and Chance all the free sessions we wanted until she got started. She had an elderly Golden Retriever who loved the mats. But every single time Chance could not stop scratching for 3 days! He's never had skin issues, never scratched. But he was miserable. I tried a few times; but he was miserable, until I stopped taking him.

Later a friend was selling different magnet things, swearing they worked miracles. She offered me anything I wanted at cost. I bought one hand held roller thing. The next day after using that, he couldn't stop scratching! Benadryl offered no relief. I tried it one more time, giving Benadryl 20 minutes before. Same problem. I swore him off magnets after that!

Red light, he's had at physio. I do believe there was some benefit there.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 20 Nov 2022, 09:47

I have used an Assisi loop on my dogs since about 2012. It helped Mickeys pancreatitis pain, his arthritis and on Kiya when she had issues.

https://assisianimalhealth.com/pet-owners/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Nov 2022, 11:02

Yes PEMF is pulsating electromagnetic therapy.... There are about 7,000/+ research studies out there about the benefits of it.... and FDA approves it and it is and is currently used in hospitals for bone surgeries that just won't heal and severe depression... but "main-stream" medical science are starting to look at it for other uses . My GP and i just had a conversation about it last week (i have a PEMF pad and hand held cold laser- i have back issues that have improved dramatically, GP was gob smacked at the improvement in 2 years on my bone density) and she said there is a lot of promise with PEMF.... made me chuckle cause it has been around forever and there are so many studies supporting other uses....traditional medicine just needs to catch up ... kind of like how it took them forever with cold laser... and now that too is mainstream.

Anyway... sounds like Chance is not allergic to magnets per se, but probably the metal that is used. So that would be a no-go.

Regarding cold laser.. cold laser is more powerful and effective than red light therapy.... but you would have to find a vet that has worked with cold laser on cats with IBD and have him apply that knowledge & technique with a dog.... a home use handheld cold laser would not be appropriate/powerful enough to treat Chance... it would need to be a Cold Laser IV which they do NOT sell for home use, cause if not used carefully, you can blind someone (retina damage) with it by accidentally flinging it around...and you need to be trained on where to point it and how to move it. The highest power they sell for home use is a 3B cold laser and that would not reach Chance's gut lining........so you'd be wasting your money.

But what you might want to do is get a red light pad and use it daily on Chance... it won't be an overnight fix, may take many months... but repeated applications although a slow process will definitely and eventually help the body better heal itself.......

Jill... thanks for the mention of the Assisi Loop... great and effective product (i actually looked at it a few years ago), but sounds like this would not be for Chance if he appears to have a reaction to other PEMF products......I guess metal allergies (if this is what is going on with Chance) are rare but they can and do happen.........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance

Post by Chance » 20 Nov 2022, 13:20

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I guess it's possible he's allergic to the metal used in magnetic therapy.

With red light, or cold laser, I was thinking more for joints. He was diagnosed with grade 4 arthritis before his 1st birthday. He had very severe FIP in his elbows. So I was thinking more for joint relief. You made a good point about deep chested dogs. But I still don't know that anything like that could cure his gut. We do know (gauntlet of testing) that he never had IBD. Never had pancreatitis... at least not before EPI. AND SIBO is a bacteria problem, that I don't think can be cured like that, regardless of what special equipment any vet has! IBD maybe.

If there was an affordable hand held cold laser that was known to be helpful (for joints), I'd grab it! I have had cold laser done at physio, and I know it did offer *some* temporary relief. (I am physically limited. My body is falling apart). So I do know proper devices do have merit! But no idea what would be good enough to help, easy enough for me to use, and preferably not break the bank. (Chance has already broken the bank! His enzymes and SIBO treatments have about done me in. Always have to figure out what bill I can survive without paying what month 🙃 😁 . It's been very stressful, but Zero regrets. He's worth it. He's brought me so much independence with my physical disability. Independence that had been lost for years. So he's worth it all. Though he might get called a doofus from time to time 😁)

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Nov 2022, 14:28

that is wonderful to hear that Chance has been helpful to you.... When EPI struck my dog, Izzy, i was devastated... but had no idea how my little dog's illness would change my life.... and she gave so much joy to all who met her....... she truly was a life changer!

Okay... for joints for yourself... the one that i would consider is the Dernox cold laser...it is a Class 3B but it has the most diodes that i have seen available for home use. 21 diodes: 15 at 650nm and 6 at 808nm. The one i have isan HD-CureS model that is 2 years old and only has a total of 14 diodes; 12 at 650nm and 2 at 808nm. I will leave it strapped flush to my skin for an hour or more at a time... it works.... but not at the 15-30 minutes daily that it suggests.... the good thing about the home models is that because it doesn't contain 908 diodes (this is what is in Cold Laser IV) you don't have to worry about moving the laser up and down and only using it for xxx # of minutes.......in other words with the home use models, no damage can be done if improperly used and hence companies avoid any possible lawsuits.... but the negative is that it will only penetrate so deep in tissue.......... this is why Class IV is needed for bone and/or gut it is more powerful and goes deeper.
Here is a link to Dernox (Halipax) that also explains this:
https://halipax.com/products/halipax-ha ... apy-device
I have been using Cold laser home 3B hand held and also professional cold laser IV for years..... i started using cold laser IV about 10 years ago due to some promising research i read on bone healing (i broke my shoulder and my chiro was willing to try using it on me for bone repair )... when my surgeon took xrays of my broken shoulder, he thought he had the wrong xrays cause i was almost healed ... in the end, my broken shoulder healed in half the time with cold laser VI :)

Chance

Post by Chance » 20 Nov 2022, 18:24

Thanks for the info! A lot to know about lasers!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Nov 2022, 19:31

with lasers do your research ... there is a lot of home-held units that are not exactly what they claim to be.... best thing is to read up on cold lasers and educate yourself before purchasing anything............