Sweet Potato Treats

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Sweet Potato Treats

Post by PipersMom » 21 Sep 2022, 06:39

This morning I finally have the Sweet Potato with Enzymes in my dehydrator.

Question, can I use treats I have already, baste them with the enzymes and dehydrate? I use Rileys small sweet potato treats now.. If I could coat them with the enzymes then I know those would be safe as well. Especially since used as a high value treat. High Values are a different one but if I could coat them too it would be wonderful. Thoughts?

I am using the one found here at EPI4Dogs. It is very easy especially with a mandolin. Thank you for all the wonderful information here!
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Sweet Potato Treats

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Sep 2022, 08:58

Hi Shawn. When experimenting with treats you will just need to try small enzymed pieces and keep track of how the poop is and if you hear tummy rumblings. We recommend no treats until they are stable but I don't recall if Piper is stable. Let us know how it goes.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 21 Sep 2022, 11:30

She eats the Sams Yams now but they have no enzymes on them so thought these would be better, But I understand wanting to wait until stable. I will update the other thread.

Question... can these just stay in an airtight container, or do they need to be freezon once hydrated?
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Sep 2022, 11:45

I am not sure on freezing them as hot or cold destroys enzymes. Did it say on the treat section here on the site for dehydrated treats how to store?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 21 Sep 2022, 12:31

jilbert57 wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 11:45 I am not sure on freezing them as hot or cold destroys enzymes. Did it say on the treat section here on the site for dehydrated treats how to store?

Jill
It just says that they are put in freezer bags, I will keep them in an airtight container in the cabinet I guess.

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Sep 2022, 19:52

i kept the shaved dehydrated sweet potato peels in a mason jar sealed tightly in the cabinet.... but i always put a little silica packet to absorb any posible moisture to keep things fresh.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 22 Sep 2022, 04:11

Olesia711 wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 19:52 i kept the shaved dehydrated sweet potato peels in a mason jar sealed tightly in the cabinet.... but i always put a little silica packet to absorb any possible moisture to keep things fresh.
I will get, actually i think my husband has some silica packs. I will place one in with her treats I make. I rather make them then buy if better for her. NOW to find a biscuit recipe I can make.

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Sep 2022, 10:57

if you find a biscuit recipe that actually holds together without using a flour ingredient.... let me know....... ;)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom

Post by PipersMom » 22 Sep 2022, 11:30

Olesia711 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 10:57 if you find a biscuit recipe that actually holds together without using a flour ingredient.... let me know....... ;)
There are a few recipes I have found but have not tried YET. These use Oats. but still looking. If I do find one that holds together how do I incorporate the enzyme? Would I coat and dehydrate?

EPI Diagnoised

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Sep 2022, 15:00

well,,, you can't bake with the enzyme... however..... maybe if you 1/2 bake and then mix in the enzymes and finish in a dehydrator... maybe that would work...

you don't want to "coat" with the enzymes to where the enzymes are not "mixed in" cause then the enzymes would jsut lay on top and would be "dry" and could burn his mouth and give hi mouth sores......

I once found a recipe that didn't use any flour or oats (my dog couldn't handle any grain or oats etc) ..... instead it used sweet potato as a base... and i was so excited to have found that recipe....but it was a bust... but no matter how i tried... the cookies came out mushy, :(