Sweet Potato Treats

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
PipersMom
State: New Jersey
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Re: Sweet Potato Treats

Post by PipersMom » 23 Sep 2022, 06:47

Question, If we do not want to coat a biscuit we make, why is it ok to coat sweet potatoes and dehydrate? Wont this burn their mouth? I am just trying to understand as I do not want to hurt my baby.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

muhammad sohail
Pet name: cat
My name: Muhammad Sohail

Post by muhammad sohail » 23 Sep 2022, 07:39

Sweet potato is a safe, healthy, and natural treat for dogs, offering a range of health benefits (and a sweet flavor they'll likely love). For example, sweet potatoes support a healthy digestive system thanks to their high dietary fiber content. They're also low in fat and contain essential vitamins like B6, C, and A. If you read more on this website so click here.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Sep 2022, 09:44

I personally feel it is NOT okay to "coat" sweet potato with the enzymes.... because it might create mouth sores......however....in the first "sweet potato" recipe on the treat page... i see where they say to coat the mandolin sliced sweet potato with enzymes mixed in with water..... of course you can try this and see if it works for your dog. (doesnt create any mouth sores).. HOWEVER..... there is another "sweet potato" recipe at the end of the treat page... that uses a potato peeler creating much MUCH thinner pieces..... the instructions are to just peel a raw sweet potato and dehydrate the peels.... it will be very thin and yet crunchy and many of our dogs can handle a few of these without enzymes......since they are so thin.... whereas the mandolin sliced sweet potato pieces are much thicker and there might be more of an issue to serve without enzymes.

The other thing you can do is give a little something WITH enzymes within an hour prior to giving non-enzymed treats.

Here is the peeled dehydrated sweet potato recipe:
Take a fresh, whole sweet potato
Peel the outside skin and throw away.
Shave the entire sweet potato with a potato peeler (except for a little piece at the end cause it is too hard to hold on to :D)….
Arrange the shaved pieces on the dehydrator trays…. i don’t fuss too much with this… just so long as there is not a clump of shavings together…

Dehydrate at 135 for about an hour (does not kill any live natural enzymes because there is still moisture in the shavings) …. and then drop the temp down to 115 for the next hour…. usually this is all it takes.

I put in mason jars with 1 silica pac (just in case there is a piece with some moisture in it that i did not notice)

3 potatoes fill 9 Excalibur dehydrating trays!!!! i am guessing this costs a few pennies???? As I buy a whole case of sweet potatoes for $12

9. Deb made the above Sweet Potato peel treats using a microwave

I did the shavings like Olesia has. I put some in the oven at 50 degrees celsius and some in the microwave. I microwaved at 100% for 2 minutes. They are crispy and look like Olesias. Kody, Ozzy and I have all tasted them and they seem fine. I gave up on the oven – they were taking ages and I got sick of checking them and it’s too hot to have the oven on, so I finished them in the microwave.

I googled about making crisps – the most important thing is when I peeled them I let the shavings drop into a bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 5 minutes. I then ran them under fresh cold water for a minute and dried them thoroughly between paper towels until most of the moisture was out. Apparently, they won’t crisp up if you don’t rinse the starch out of them.

I’m very impressed – So easy to make a batch at the same time as I do the mash

10. Trisha stuffs a small kong with incubated food from a meal and freezing it. Than serving the kong that way. My dog likes it and he still gets his enzymes!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

PipersMom
Pet name: Piper
My name: Shawn

Post by PipersMom » 23 Sep 2022, 11:28

THanks, I will try that. I think my mandolin makes really thin slices... if it does (it has a knob to make thinner or thicker)... I will try otherwise I will use a peeler.

Also, do I really have to soak? I will try a batch with and without doing that.
Shawn, from NJ. Piper is Chow Chow, German Shepherd, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Bluetick Coonhound, Boxer, Border Collie, and Pit. Born 8/28/19.

EPI Diagnoised
: 4/7/21 (cTLI-1.8, B-12-<150, Folate->24). Started Enzymes 4/8/21. Piper's weight dropped to 45 but was a is a steady 50lbs. Lowest weight 42lbs. As of 4/5/21 B12 was 505. As of 12/14/22 was 830
Daily Meds: PancreVed Powder with each meal, B-12 1000mg every other day, Proin 25 mg BID, Gabapentin 150mg BID, Proviable-Forte Capsule, Priolosec 20mg and Incurin .5mg. If needed: Galiprant, Cerenia, Tylan
Current Food: Homemade food by me with a vet nutritionist recipe that has added vitamins and minerals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Sep 2022, 15:05

if you use a potato peeler and a dehydrator... you don't have to soak anything.... just peel and then line the peels up on a dehydrator tray. it only takes a few hours to dehydrate....

Supposedly what you don't want is the internal temp to be above 118 - 120 degrees.... although.... newer theory is that you can dehydrate at a little higher temp and still not kill the natural enzymes in the food................

SO.... what i do is for the first 10 minutes i crank up the dehydrator to 130-140 (to quickly absorb some of the moisture but only short time so as not to kill the natural enzymes), and then i do the rest of the time at 115-120 degrees.

I have an Excaliber 9 tray dehydrator
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........