Sad outcome

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Patsy

Sad outcome

Post by Patsy » 30 Oct 2022, 19:22

I read on another forum of a dog with maldigestion and weight loss. Scans and blood counts fine.
I contacted them , but was a day too late, his quality of life was too bad. The owner was very open about the vets’ care, and had even suggested an enzyme treatment instead of the vets choice of gut supplements and B12. This was dismissed. Epi hadn’t been mentioned, nor protocol suggested, or presumably no specific blood test. To me, the signs were obvious.
I’m fuming that this is still happening. It must be over 13 years since Marti was diagnosed just in time, by a vet who spared time to do his own researching, and giving Marti and me more surgery time than we paid for!
Sadly he had a breakdown when the clinic became ‘corporate’, and left. The replacements were hopeless. I literally rang surgeries to ask vets if they had experience with Epi. One came through, though near retirement, and was great.
When they want to learn about an unusual condition like epi, they want to talk to the owner and want to have a individual relationship with the dog. I find that big clinics can’t have the same vet available at the right time.
For the record, this poor little dog was the third that I have picked up on, on that same forum . The other two were very old , and responded well. Sadly, this little beauty was only 8.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Sad outcome

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Oct 2022, 19:50

Oh man this is so sad. Thanks Patsy.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 31 Oct 2022, 05:02

I had the same Patsy with a man I was going to donate enzmes to when I spoke to him Saturday morning a while ago he had an appointment with the vat he never mentioned that this was PTS he lives in Dublin this dog was 1, I would have taken her, and I told him so
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 31 Oct 2022, 06:21

It’s a dilemma whether to tell them on these situations.
My lady obviously felt something hadn’t been done, but trusted the vet. She said they may talk to the vet practice when they get over losing him, for the sake of other dogs and cats.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 31 Oct 2022, 09:09

So Sad. Thank you, Patsy.

Barb

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 31 Oct 2022, 09:45

It's heartbreaking 😥

Honestly, I don't understand why EPI is not on their radar, especially since it only requires non-invasive testing. I'm on a Facebook group where only veterinarians are allowed to comment and see dogs with EPI symptoms all the time but testing for it doesn't come up, drives me nuts.

Nikki was almost killed when her symptoms first started by an incompetent veterinarian, I'm the one that brought up testing for EPI 🤬

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Sorela
Pet name: The little Countesses
My name: Sorela

Post by Sorela » 31 Oct 2022, 10:43

All I can say…. Is thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating this forum… this site….thank you for all the staff and all the members, for writing here, all the information about this desease.

You all, save a part of these little souls… with this forum, I know, it is a small number ….unfortunately
BECKY, SHEEVA+BLACKY 13 years each, ideal weight 15kg, 13 kg, 18 kg(each girl have lost around 1.3 kg), since june 2022 chronic pancreatitis ; since 5.10.2022 CPL over 1000, hyperlipidemia, malabsorption, SID. TLI not tested yet, waiting the CPL to be stable.1 poop/day/dog, with form, orange and soft

Present: 5 low fat small meals / day/dog ;all are taking: 1cps lypex/120 gr food/dog + 1/4 tsp slipp elm/dog: 2 x/day + B12 chemeyes+selenium+ zinc+ E: 1x/day/dog+ 1/4 tsp/dog beef tripe powder: 1x/day+1/8 tilozina(Tylan) 2x/day
Ideal Poops. Weight gain 450 gr/girl
Hills low fat+Homemade: rice+ chicken breast+quail egg+Cheese 0,5% fat +sweet potatoes+boiled carrot.
We fight to decrease CPL

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 31 Oct 2022, 12:59

Thank you Patsy for sharing this experience/story with us.

So SO sad !!!!!!!

Our main focus at Epi4Dogs is to bring awareness to this condition... and although i know we have down a good job over the years, when i hear things like this, it just proves that we still have a lot more work to do educating the general public AND the veterinarian community about EPI......

EPI dogs can live a wonderful and long happy life as any other dog without EPI.... with the proper management....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........