5 month old puppy with all symptoms and normal test

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: 5 month old puppy with all symptoms and normal test

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Nov 2022, 10:50

i personally am not a big fan of prescription foods.... BUT .... that being said..... they do have their place.... and sometimes it is the only saving grace available for these dogs.

For example, i personally believe in including as much people food (appropriate for dogs) as possible, sometimes in addition to dog food or by itself if well balanced. I too think raw is a good way to go with "some" dogs, but not all.... some simply get sick. Once while feeding my 3 dogs raw, 2 were fine and one got so sick i had to bring him to the vets (and he was NOT my EPI dog... she was just fine!)... so you do have to be careful with which dog can handle raw.

Regarding the prescription foods, i agree, loaded with fillers, but many of these fillers are prebiotics...and that is what truly improves gut flora imbalance.... much needed for dogs that are sick ........... and unfortunately you just can't get the right combo/balance of prebiotics with individual ingredients with severely sick dogs..

And then there are the hydrolyzed foods.... again, prescription.... ugh ......but some of these dogs have such bad IBD / food sensitivities, that they become so sick that nothing works, and starting them on a hydrolyzed food saves their lives. Again, i am not impressed with the ingredients, but it is what it is and can be a life saver.... with the hope that once healing begins, regular/real food can be re-introduced.

After 15 years running the forum..... to date, unfortunately i have not seen any nutritionist come up with a sound diet for an EPI dog.....i am sure they are great with other conditions, but for some reason when it comes to EPI, the diets they suggest simply never work......EPI is just a most unusual condition to work with...... i can't tell you how many times people have participated on this forum, spent lots of money for a nutritionist to work with their EPI dog.... and it never works out. My hope is that all this EPI research that we are doing will yield some clues so that the veterinarian profession will have better insight in managing EPI.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 01 Dec 2022, 01:12

Ot does happen! I have fed all my animals raw for many years. BUT, I did have one cat who simply couldn't tolerate it. She was always a very sensitive cat, there was more she could not tolerate than could. I tried single protein meals with nothing else, but it always came back up.

The other cat I had at the same time had to be on raw because of severe problem with urinary crystals. (He had a complete blockage and was hospitalized for over a week). The vet tried to give him their prescription diets, but he refused to eat it. He was a rescue, always starving to death. But he would not even look at either prescription diet! Switched him to raw, and he never had a bladder issue again.

It was fun trying to watch both cats and make sure neither touched the others food 🤣

The dogs were fine on raw. But I do have to resort to home cooking when my EPI dog gets SIBO for a week or two, to help reduce fat content.

I don't think anyone will ever have the magic diet for EPI! They all seem to be so different in what works and doesn't work. Digestion is never great, even in humans with EPI.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 02 Dec 2022, 09:31

My recommendation for anyone reading this it to do your research about the risks of feeding raw meats form reputable sources. There is a ton of inaccurate information on the internet about this topic, just because people continue to repeat it doesn't make it true.

Myths and Misconceptions Surrounding Pet Foods (including corn)
https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/companion/our-s ... -pet-foods

Here are some links in regard to feeding raw meat.

https://now.tufts.edu/2014/01/02/risks- ... diets-pets
https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/articles ... is-in-dogs
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... on-in-dogs

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."