Tylosin dose

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pialovesyoga
State: California
Pet name: Bali
My name: Pia

Re: Tylosin dose

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 15:21

What are these no incubation enzymes called?

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 13 Nov 2022, 18:39

Pialovesyoga wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 15:21 What are these no incubation enzymes called?
I'm currently giving Creon (human prescription) enzymes. Just sprinkle on the food (no mixing. No incubation).

I'm living in Canada. Ordering enzymes from the US is extremely expensive. We have shipping charges, import charges and the exchange. To make it worse, more and more orders are getting stopped in Customs. $$ down the toilet.

Creon is not cheap; but it's no worse than importing! And Chance's poop has finally turned brown; so if anything he's better on it!

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 18:53

Why did you switch from Enzyme Diane to Creon?

Chance

Post by Chance » 13 Nov 2022, 19:01

Pialovesyoga wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 18:53 Why did you switch from Enzyme Diane to Creon?
Mainly because it was getting harder and more expensive to get it across the border. I've read an increasing number of people having their orders seized by Customs. Then $$ flushed down the toilet.

Creon I can get at the local pharmacy. No shipping, no waiting. It was easier. When I saw how well it worked, how much easier it is; I can't see ever going back

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 13 Nov 2022, 20:29

Creon sounds like a better option for dogs who lives out of US. I’m gonna see if it is also available for other countries. As of now we are in the States and finding enzymes not that hard but hopefully soon we’ll be traveling and need more practical and universal options.
If no enzyme powder inhaling for me and waiting pains for incubation it sounds like a considerable alternative.

Chance

Post by Chance » 13 Nov 2022, 20:40

In many countries, Creon is the *only* option. Actually in many countries (aside from Canada - which is backwards), it's available over the counter.

There's no dust at all. The capsules are filled with little enteric coated "balls". As such, they are very solid. Slides right out of the capsules. They aren't destroyed by stomach acid, so it takes a lot less.

Many people just give the capsules and feed right after. So far I have only tried dumping capsules on food and feeding.

HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Post by HunnysMom » 22 Nov 2022, 13:57

Hello - I just came across this post and I am brand new to all of this.

I cried for awhile this morning feeling so helpless. I also started a new post.

I just started tylosin today. Vet said 1/8 of a teaspoon 2x per day with her food.

How do I know if she needs more?

She is also doing 1 tsp pancreatic enzyme with every 1 cup of food. She was on 2 cups of food but with all of the weight loss she is on 3 cups now.

I also know her food is going to run out this weekend and I do not know which food to buy. There are so many and so many recommendations. Attached is a phot of Hunny healthy.
013+013_Shultz a 2020_LindbergPortraitArt_DSC_7003.jpg
013+013_Shultz a 2020_LindbergPortraitArt_DSC_7003.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 510 times
Please help,

Chance

Post by Chance » 22 Nov 2022, 14:14

Hunny is beautiful! How is she doing overall with the current regimen?

Here is a screen shot of the "antibiotics" link on this site. It shows the recommended start dose of Tylosin.

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20221122_140320_Chrome.jpg[/attachment]

My vet started us at 12mg/kg; which is about half of what EPI4DOGS recommend starting at. When I did try to increase, it went very, very bad. BUT my dog is just different. He's sensitive to it somehow, but I haven't come across many others like mine! All literature indicates it's very well tolerated by dogs, even at extremely high doses.

So basically you really don't have to worry about giving too much.

You will get more help for Hunny if you create your own post; so it's more easily seen by everyone :)
Attachments
Screenshot_20221122_140320_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221122_140320_Chrome.jpg (530.38 KiB) Viewed 506 times

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 22 Nov 2022, 17:32

Pia, I feel bad that we are all bombarding you. I promise, this will all soon be second nature.

Two things--The 150% direction is the amount you would feed at her IDEAL weight, NOT for what she currently weighs... and yes, in three or four meals.

AND, did I post the Four Cornerstones on your other thread?

Just want to make sure I've given you as much as I can. --- Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Chance

Post by Chance » 22 Nov 2022, 20:23

Tuckaboo Pam wrote: 22 Nov 2022, 17:32 Pia, I feel bad that we are all bombarding you. I promise, this will all soon be second nature.

Two things--The 150% direction is the amount you would feed at her IDEAL weight, NOT for what she currently weighs... and yes, in three or four meals.

AND, did I post the Four Cornerstones on your other thread?

Just want to make sure I've given you as much as I can. --- Pam
I'm not certain if Pia (with Bali, neg for EPI) is following this thread... She would follow Bali's thread more. I may be wrong...but just in case