Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Nbrand88
State: *
Pet name: Layla

Re: Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Post by Nbrand88 » 23 Dec 2022, 01:02

Hi, a little late to the thread but I wanted to share the kibble my girl is on that has been working really well. I tried raw as my other dog eats it but it just didn’t sit well. What we’ve had a lot of success with both with gaining weight and healthy poop is Acana Duck and Squash.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Dec 2022, 09:48

thanks for sharing that... i know of a few folks that had luck with Acana.... BUt.... it is good to know that the duck and squash is one of the versions that is working for your dog. Thank YOU!

Merry Christmas!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 24 Dec 2022, 08:42

Thank you. It is always good to hear what is working for our dogs. It might just be the ticket for someone having difficulty finding the right food. Thank you for sharing.

Barb

Pialovesyoga
State: California
Pet name: Bali
My name: Pia

Post by Pialovesyoga » 24 Dec 2022, 15:23

I’ve heard about Acana, but we are so gun shy regarding kibbles. Keeping Bali on fresh cooked ground Turkey (3lbs/ day) pumpkin or sweet potatoes + enzymes and supplements (calcium, psyllium and probiotics and fish oil). No longer diarrhea, sometimes mushy poops... I’d not say that his poops are 100% healthy compared to healthy dogs, but compared to his 3 months long endless diarrhea situation in the past, I’m not complaining that much.

My worry is his very slow weight gain. He is still quite skinny, but it seems he gained a little weight. He is 70lbs now.

This morning for the first time we noticed some twitching, spasm starts on his stomach and goes up to his skin around hips, back, spine area. It’s been continuous. He has very little energy and interest in walking, playing. Still a good appetite. Anybody has experienced these weird spasm?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 25 Dec 2022, 08:52

Is it like he has a flea and his skin is crawling or is it more muscle twitching?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 25 Dec 2022, 10:27

more like his skin is crawling I guess... only around his back.

he slept more than 12 hours. Not interested in walking or doing anything else. Eats his food very slowly.. acts like he is sedated.
No vomiting or diarrhea

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Dec 2022, 12:49

Has anyone pointed out that many EPI dogs don't do well eating turkey?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 26 Dec 2022, 13:48

check his gums.... do they look a little pale?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 31 Dec 2022, 00:56

How is Bali now? Any better?

That's pretty scary, with the twitching and lack of energy!

What other tests have been done? Have you checked for Addison's disease? I guess IBD is what was suspected after EPI was ruled out; but I wonder if there's something else, perhaps in combination.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 24 Jan 2023, 11:57

Greetings and happy new year!

I came here to give an update. Thank you for checking in Andrea! Much appreciated. After the twitching started- I assume they were reflux related- I stopped giving enzymes to see what would happen. This was after Christmas, before the New Years. Twitches stopped after we stopped enzymes. Bali has been off of enzymes since then, about a month now. His health is stabilized.

He eats ~3lbs/day ground turkey+ sweet potato/ pumpkin puree + supplements (bone replacement w/ minerals and krill oil) + SLIPPERY ELM! We eventually stopped the probiotics too. B12 shot every other week.

He is doing really good. Knock on wood! Gained some weight (not sure exactly how much, but I cannot see his ribs anymore), still looks lean, but healthy. Poops have been good as well. Every once in a while we get soft stool, but that’s when I introduce something new such as fish (he used to eat lot’s of fish, but it seems his new fauna is not responding to it well now.) It’s been only a month or so since he fully recovered and feeling himself. He is very active, lot’s of energy!

3 more months and he is going to turn 2!