Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pialovesyoga
State: California
Pet name: Bali
My name: Pia

Re: Bali’s story: We need healing vibes and support

Post by Pialovesyoga » 15 Nov 2022, 19:29

It’s getting better, but still pretty dark. The doctor will run a full panel tomorrow am.
Attachments
566E8A48-96B2-425F-AB15-4FCA2E28DBED.jpeg
566E8A48-96B2-425F-AB15-4FCA2E28DBED.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 501 times

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 15 Nov 2022, 19:31

I didn’t give him pepcin btw.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 16 Nov 2022, 18:17

We saw a new vet today(same clinic that we go to since Bali was 3 mo old, but a different vet, so he had Bali’s records in hand). Today Bali weighed the lowest ever 64.6 - lost 12lbs since August.
He suggested black stool(bleeding was a result of raw food). He also made me back off from everything that I started with other vet’s approval (enzymes, probiotics, slippery elm) and ordered blood (not TLI), fecal and urine analysis. The results will be back in a couple of days.

We came home with Hill’s I/D prescription (he said 5 cups/day or more if Bali wants more food. That’s %150 ) and plenty of fresh good water. He also gave me Carafate to be administered every 12 hrs.

I feel we are back to square one. He said that he wants to restart his system, and see what it’s going to do without any supplements. I’m having real hard time to trust him, as I intuitively know- all symptoms suggests epi) and I don’t wanna waste more time and energy on trial and error.

Bali was on Royal Canin puppy I/D prescription for about 8 months and he has done well on it with some occasional diarrhea- because he would eat something he shouldn’t eat. Until I changed his kibbles from prescription to adult food.. very slowly. When we completely transitioned to adult kibbles (end of July when Bali was near 77lbs) that set off a horrible diarrhea and weight loss, which brought me here last week and made us (me and the previous vet) start the epi treatment.

Are we making circles? Not sure

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 16 Nov 2022, 20:51

That's a scary thought, going back to square one! I can understand the frustration there.

Why not test cTLI if you suspect EPI? Vet hs a point, that other issues- especially IBD can mimic EPI in every way. Especially in the way it's affected by different kibble. To me it makes sense to at least test something...either EPI or IBD. If IBD is negative, it makes EPI much more likely. If TLI is very good,, it makes IBD much more likely.

I disagree with him about raw food causing a bleed. He's inexperienced with nutrition, and thus only kibble makes sense. Raw diet absolutely does not cause that. Raw may not be for every dog. But that is definitely not a reason why it's not suitable.

For now go with the food that you feel Bali did best on.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 17 Nov 2022, 11:10

As I feared yellow colored diarrhea came back this morning. Yesterday I fed him the new prescription kibbles as instructed by the vet- 5 and 1/2 cups divided to 4 smaller meals. Bali was feeling himself again after all that food.

This morning we woke up early- between 5:30-7:30 he went to bathroom 5 times.
First couple of poops were near perfect as far as color and consistency goes, no longer black, and the color got lighter and lighter, and the hard poop turned into mustard diarrhea.

I agree he is not well informed about nutrition- we are going to see a holistic vet on November 30th.

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 17 Nov 2022, 11:12

Within 30 min
Attachments
FEADDDDE-14D4-483C-91D0-2D0149A4E93B.jpeg
FEADDDDE-14D4-483C-91D0-2D0149A4E93B.jpeg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 472 times
CA205DF2-1BC0-48CD-8ADF-8C685862CAA5.jpeg
CA205DF2-1BC0-48CD-8ADF-8C685862CAA5.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 472 times

Chance

Post by Chance » 17 Nov 2022, 12:54

First poop there looks pretty good! But the ones after, not so much.

If possible, you might want to consider testing for either EPI, or IBD. but trouble is, it is possible to have both!

The fact the poop color improved does NOT prove it was caused by raw food! Remember you stopped enzymes at the same time. If you were giving too high a dose, that would happen.

Maybe start back up the enzymes, but at a lower dose. Stay on the kibble they want you on (for now). No other supplements. No other changes. Only one thing at a time. (Remember enzymes can help both EPI and IBD. And can't harm either way unless you give too much)!

Good your going to a holistic vet!

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 17 Nov 2022, 13:14

Thank you! Always appreciate your timely response when I’m freaking out.

So we scheduled TLI test foe tomorrow morning- as he needs to be fasting 12 hrs. He ate 2,5 cups of prescription kibbles already.

I talked to a couple of other vets on the phone- they suggested me to go back to homemade food (low fat turkey breast and pumpkin works the best for Bali) and probiotics.

I received Tylan and B12 vial today- but holding on to both?

Pialovesyoga

Post by Pialovesyoga » 17 Nov 2022, 13:17

And no probiotics?

Chance

Post by Chance » 17 Nov 2022, 13:43

Oh good! Glad you are getting a TLI done!!

You are right. Fasting needs to be done. So no food or enzymes tonight.

Tomorrow after the test, start B12 and lower dose enzymes than you were giving. Hold off on Tylosin. It may not be needed. You'll find out after a few days. Probiotic is fine, unless it seems he's reacting to it negatively.

There's no harm in making the food recommended.. after tomorrow's test if that was best.