Switching to Generic Enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jean546
State: Pennsylvania
Pet name: Rudy
My name: Susan

Switching to Generic Enzymes

Post by jean546 » 17 Nov 2022, 19:48

So, Rudy has been on Pancreplus for a month with Elm's bark and Tylan on Royal Canin ID food. He is doing great thanks to this awesome foundation and its members!! This foundation has given me so much information and has helped me to understand Rudy's diagnosis beyond anything the vet has told me! So, with that said my question is, I bought samples of Enzyme Diane 6X, but I'm not sure how or when to try it. Do I wait until Rudy has been doing well for 2 months before I change anything? How do I try the generic enzymes? Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you, Susan and Rudy

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Switching to Generic Enzymes

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Nov 2022, 20:00

Hi Susan. I am so glad Rudy is doing well. What you can do is use 1/2 teaspoon Dianes enzymes and 1/2 teaspoon Pancreplus per 1 cup kibble to introduce it. I just switched cold turkey from Pancrezyme to Dianes 6x enzymes and never missed a beat.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 17 Nov 2022, 20:35

I was so nervous about switching Montgomery onto Enzyme Diane (NOT because of Enzyme Diane, but because of Montgomery's tricky system). We weaned him slowly onto the new enzymes and had no trouble at all. All those nerves for nothing!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 17 Nov 2022, 21:13

When I switched, I just did an abrupt change. I had changed from Pantenex to Enzyme Diane 8x. I had no issues at all with the change.

The next change I did was to Creon. Since that's a completely different type of enzyme, abrupt change was the only thing that made sense. It took some playing around to find the optimal dose, but we did!

jean546

Post by jean546 » 18 Nov 2022, 04:27

I also want to change his food to something recommended on this site because the Royal is also so expensive!! Do I switch enzymes first then wait a while then switch food?

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 18 Nov 2022, 08:33

IMHO it doesn't matter if you change food or enzymes first. Depends on what you have most of . Food or enzymes.

Only one change at a time, so if something goes wrong, it's easy to pinpoint what.

If you are changing from one kibble to another, make a gradual change. A little if new with mostly old. After several days, Slightly increase ratio of new to old.

If you switch to a raw food, an abrupt change is sometimes easier (due to different digestion times). The important thing is starting with only one protein at a time. After several days, add another protein...and so on.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 18 Nov 2022, 11:46

When we switched Kolby to Enzyme Diane's enzymes, we just switched all at once with no no ill effects whatsoever. I do like Jill's suggestion of half and half though.

Barb

jean546

Post by jean546 » 19 Nov 2022, 17:16

Thank you everyone for your help!! I am going to try the enzymes first this week! He was at the vet yesterday and he gained back the 10 lbs he lost!! I am so happy he is doing so well, thanks again to this foundation for all the information and support it has given to Rudy and myself!! They did draw his blood to run a GI panel, I will post the results when I get them.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 20 Nov 2022, 18:42

Enzymes straight away, no issues.

Food--- (you WILL do a gradual change, maybe over three days, starting with 1/3 new, 2/3 old)

Does he have any dietary issues? If not, then---

https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/ either High Prairie or Pacific Stream (most recommended, but Tucker doesn't like it...he now eats High Prairie)

This one is out of stock, most places, but it's great---

https://www.chewy.com/sport-dog-food-el ... /dp/172143

You want grain-free with no or little peas and white potatoes, 4% fiber or less. Many EPI dogs do poorly on poultry, so maybe start out with a recipe that has none. The High Prairie recipe that I use has a little chicken, but Tuck's poops are great.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.