First time poster in need of help.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: First time poster in need of help.

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Dec 2022, 14:28

i know this can be so frustrating... especially when you first start on the EPI journey... there is a lot that you need to find the right balance of.... but once things settle....you'll be amazed at how easy EPI can be managed... it just takes a while getting there............. unfortunately, it can take anywhere from a few months to a few years before one finds the right balance of everything for their dog.

Keep an eye on the excessive drinking,.... but if it is from the onset of the enzymes... it will subside in time.... it just didn't sound like that was the case when you first described it.
Not sure if you are or are not, but the best thing you can do is start keeping a journal...this will help you identify issues, not guess when something may have started or not................
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Dec 2022, 17:14

Hunny's Mom---

Something that has helped me along the way, are the words of someone who explained it this way---"Your dog has been literally starving."

So when Tuck does his grumpy resource guarding, or tries to steal someone else's food, or even when I see one of my little dogs show the whites of their eyes if he makes an aggressive move, I try and remember that for years, unbeknownst to me, he was hungry all the time.

Now, don't get me wrong, I set things up so that everyone is safe, but there are times when I just have to forgive him. I also think my energy has an effect on him. I love him so much, and I always make sure he knows it.

You are doing a wonderful job, and Hunny is grateful that you are making her life so much better. Pat yourself on the back, at least once a day.

---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

HunnysMom
State: Texas
Pet name: Hunny
My name: Jen

Post by HunnysMom » 29 Dec 2022, 22:07

Thank you so so much everyone.

I started onky giving hunny a little water at a time today. I also split up her food more and one of her half cups went into her bobble. I got such joy watching her for the first time since October playing and eating from it. It felt like my sweet hunny girl again.

Hunny has definitely changed with food. She used to lay down on the couch when I cooked and now she’s right by my feet. She’s always been motivated by food but she’s differnet now. I can’t stand the way she eats. And again, she always ate fast but never ever like this.

Btw her poop has been great for a month but today her second poop
Was off. While it was the normal brown color sort of “underneath” it was that super bright yellow she had at the beginning when I had no
Idea what was going on with her. I started to put a teeny tiny pinch less of the enzyme on m
Her food. Maybe this is the cause?

Chance
Pet name: Chance
My name: Andrea

Post by Chance » 04 Jan 2023, 18:11

How is Hunny doing now?

Sometimes it's a little hard to say with one poop. One poop can have multiple reasons. If it continues on for more than one day, it's an indication of a problem. Either not quite the right enzyme dose, or perhaps the start of SIBO?

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 12 Jan 2023, 10:34

Hello all

Here is my latest update and questions:

Hunnys poop is consistently formed. It is not liquid or runny and not like cow piles.

However, some days it is soft and others it is firm. For the second time since I last post this morning I noticed a little bit of that bright yellow sort of inside her poop.

I do feel the reflux/regurgitation has gotten a bit better. In the past week she has only spit up one to two times. However, even if she doesn’t spit up I can hear it “come up.”

I am giving her less water then she was having and I sense this made a difference:

Questions
- she is almost out of her enzymes. This enzyme is a prescription from one of the vets. To get it refilled I’d need to see him again and I don’t care to do so. Are there enzymes I can get “over the counter” for her that do not need a prescription?
- if yes and I do this is there a chance she will react poorly since it’s a different enzyme?
- she is just about out of her tylison powder as well. How do I know if she needs to stay on this and get more refills?
- she has not taken a probiotic in a month. I have a local brand here that is prebiotic and probiotic. I’d like to use it but not sure it’s good for her or needed. I will reply with a photo of the ingredients.

As always, thanks for the help!

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 12 Jan 2023, 10:38

How do I attach a photo from my phone? Doesn’t look like I can. Do I need to do so from my computer?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jan 2023, 11:04

A lot of pet owners get their enzymes from
www.enzymediane.com. Diane Sloan is the owner and you can give her a call and she is very helpful. There should not be any issue with going from the enzyme you are using to hers. That being said some might have an issue for a few days. Keep the bottle of script so you can give her information on strength.

It sounds like you still have some SIBO present and I would renew the Tylan. Even if to have some on hand.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 12 Jan 2023, 19:23

How long does a dog need to be on tylison?

This is her second bottle. She gets 1/8 a tsp morning and evening.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Jan 2023, 21:07

After a 45 day course of Tylan is done you can start the weaning phase, things get better or worse. Some can be weaned off just fine but others poop starts south again. Some pups are on a maintenance dose twice daily for life.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

HunnysMom

Post by HunnysMom » 12 Jan 2023, 22:55

Well it looks like after this bottle is done she will be coming off of it. She’s been taking it more than 45 days. I’ll have to see what happens without it.