Chronic Diarrhea

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jakusel
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Mathews
My name: Julie

Chronic Diarrhea

Post by jakusel » 02 Dec 2022, 14:56

Help! My dog was diagnosed with EPI about 9 years ago. Things have been stable for him. At the end of June, he started having diarrhea. We thought it was SIBO. We treated it and nothing has worked. It is now December and we are still dealing with diarrhea. He has lost 15 lb. We recently switch him to hydrolyzed food. Has anybody had this issue with their dog? What can we do to help him get rid of the diarrhea? I feel like nothing is working!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Chronic Diarrhea

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Dec 2022, 16:34

Hello, I am so sorry you're dealing with this. What was he given to treat the SIBO, or SID?

Did it let up at all while he was on the meds? Did you end the course of antibiotics gradually?

Of course your vet tested for parasites, right?

Have you tried increasing the enzymes by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon? After a few years following diagnosis & beginning treatment, dogs sometimes need to increase their enzymes. How old is your dog now?

I'm sorry all I have is questions, but the answers may be helpful. I am sure someone on staff will log in soon, with some suggestions. It is so hard to watch them when they are losing so much weight.

Take Care, Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Dec 2022, 12:04

My first suggestion... as a rule-out... would be to increase the enzymes.... however.... it does sound like it could be a developed food sensitivity.....and if your vet put the dog on a hydrolyzed food... that is the first step in this direction....

But please know that sometimes you have to try a few different hydrolyzed prescription foods before you find one that works.

In the meantime, and i know this is hard.... keep a very detailed log of what goes in and what comes out.... as this might further help you and your vet figure out what is really going on. It also might be some other condition that has developed... are there any other symptoms, like hair loss or something? Things like this could be clues as to what direction to look in...

Is your dog receiving B12? Has the B12 levels been checked recently? As they age, just like people, the B12 often falters...............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jakusel
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Mathews
My name: Julie

Post by jakusel » 05 Dec 2022, 08:51

He has had several rounds of antibiotics. We first thought it was SIBO, but now I think we are past that. There was a time when we noticed some EPI symptoms coming back and we increased his enzymes. It worked well for 4 days, and then we were back to the same.

Currently, he is on Flortiflora and Tylan. We recently increased his enzymes. Things that have improved.....quantity of poop, decrease in itchinand an increase in energy. So, that is good. Poop is still mushy to watery and he has gas when he goes.

I did not see a change when he was on the antibiotics.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 06 Dec 2022, 10:00

I am so sorry you are going through this. I agree with Olesia, that it might take several experiments with hydrolized foods before you find the right one for your pup. And definitely check the B12 to make sure it hasn't dropped. Have you tried a different antibiotic? You might want to discuss this with your vet after you have tried the other things.

I would also check to make sure it isn't something else going on that has nothing to do with EPI. Sometimes we are so used to looking for EPI symptoms that we don't see other symptoms as signposts. Let us know what you find out. I know how stressful this is. Hang in there.

Barb